IGNORED

Stupid stereotypes

Skatepunk60

yeah i heard about that, its really sad and shows you what stereotypes can do to people, and how it can alter their perceptions. I beleive the guy who actually murdered him got off with probation. Here is the artical i read, its sad stuff.. DKM Wrote a song about him and the events that happenedd, its called “Fortunes of War.” If you cant find the mp3 email me and i will send it to you.. here is a little of what DKM had to say about it, then the news artical.. take it easy

One of the albums more heartfelt numbers is “Fortunes of War.” The anthemic song is dedicated to the memory of Brian Deneke, a punk rocker who, in 1997, was run down by a Cadillac in an Amarillo, Texas parking lot by a rival teenager. The killer was “punished” with ten years probation. “We were on tour down in Texas, and Brian’s brother and all of these young punk rock kids came up and said, ‘can you dedicate “Barroom Hero” to Brian? We had it played at his funeral.’ So we met all these kids and heard the story. That’s why when I saw it come out in the press that the kid that committed the crime just received probation, it hit us pretty hard. We’d been following the story, played some benefits down there, and met his parents.” Along with the Murphys, Deneke also loved English punk pioneers originators CockSparrer, whose vocalist Colin McFaull joins in with Barr on the song.

brian deneke: punk rock martyr

by Joe Harris (ziplock@disinfo.net) - October 18, 2000

The same social dynamics that ended with the Columbine massacre in Littleton, Colorado ended differently in Amarillo, Texas.

On the night of December 12th, 1997, Amarillo punk Brian Deneke was cut down in a parking lot by Dustin Camp, a 17-year-old junior varsity football player driving his 1983 Cadillac.

The events leading up to this final altercation were straight out of the film The Outsiders (1983). Two groups of kids, the Punks and the Whitehats, a rivalry because each looked different than the other. The rivalry went from harsh words, to blows. When the punks found themselves outnumbered 3 to 1 by the Whitehats in an International House of Pancakes parking lot, on that cold December night, Brian Deneke was cut down by the intoxicated Camp.

No one's story is the same. In the back seat of Camp's car was a girl who would later graduate as valedictorian of their class. She was the only person to testify that could possibly be considered a "Reliable Witness". She said that Camp drove into the midst of the melee, and after hitting and knocking over one of Brian's friends, then said "I'm a ninja in my caddy" and succeeded in running Brian over. There were no skid marks, no signs that Camp tried to avoid hitting the youth head on. As he pulled out of the parking lot Camp said, "I'll bet he liked that."

"I remember after he was hit, there was a cheer," Brian's girlfriend later told a reporter, "We ran to him as soon as he went down. He was trying to talk, but there was too much blood coming out of his mouth. Jason (his brother) put his arms around him and held him while he died."

The girl and her friend who she was in the car with went to the police station that night. Camp was arrested on murder charges the next day.

An emotional trial ensued that saw, on the prosecuting side, Brian's friends, his employer Stanley Marsh III of the Cadillac Ranch, his brother Jason who held him in his arms as he dies in that gutter. On the prosecuting side: Brian's old Boy Scout troop leader who had kicked him out of the troop when he was 13 for bringing a skateboard to a meeting, officers who displayed the clothes Brian was wearing as if it was supposed to be an excuse for slaughtering the wearer, Camp's football coach, his pastor, and his teachers, who all told the court about what a "good kid" Camp was.

The end result was a conviction on charges of manslaughter with a sentence of ten years probation and a suspended $10 000 fine.

On June 7th, 2000 an Amarillo jury found in favor of the Denekes in a wrongful death suit against the Camps, and awarded the Denekes $20 000.

I am the front man/ bass player of a Funk/Hard Rock band (Big Fish) that has released 2 CDs. I manage my own Metal/ Indie Rock/ Funk radio station, and hosted my own show (Cousin Vinnie's R-N-R Radio Show) on WITA in Knoxville for a year. I am a tournament level pool player, I have won the city championship in Judo, and I won the "best actor" award at my school along with a District Championship for After Dinner Speaking. I can write HTML and I love Atari although I didn't even finish one year of college. I owned the #1 efed on the net...the FPW. I used to ride freestyle BMX, although my best tricks were the "Cyclone" and the "Lawnmower". I was a Youth Minister for 3 years. I am a defending Fantasy Football Champion, although I play Tennis, Golf, Football, and B-Ball in real life...although I suck at them all. I used to be an HVAC repairman, but now I'm a Drug and Alcohol counselor for teens...with the hopes of being a pro wrestler one day. I was born in Baltimore, but grew up in Knoxville, and been all over the USA.

Am I bragging? No. I just like it when someone tries to stereotype me.

Cousin Vinnie

He sounds cool to me too, the problem is, some people would rather attack someone either mentally or physically because their beleifs are different, rather than take the time to learn the way they see things. An example is in Houston a few days ago an entire arab family was murdered by some cruel people who think it is all arabs faults that the attack happned. its sad how judgemental and lazy people can be, but yet in all the time and effort they spend judging and ripping apart others beleifs, they could learn how that person sees it, and ultimitally a little about themselfs too. Now im not saying i have never judged anyone, i remember when i was a kid someone stole my bike and everyone i saw with a blue bike i accused of robbing me, but the point i am trying to make is that you should live life like every day is your first. If someones beleifs confuse you, ask them about them instead of ridiculuing them becuase you dont understand. if a certian person offends you, dont attack them back, thats no better than what they did to you... take a step back and try to find out why they act that way, chances are they are not bad people, they just got something wrong along the way. if someone tries to charge you 20 bucks for an et cart, dont yell at them, just leave.. it will be less stressful for you, and eventually the vendor will realize noone is willing to pay 20 bucks for an et cart on his own.. what im really getting to is that we all need to get along.. sure i dont get along with everyone, but i also dont hate everyone i dont get along with.

long live freedom in every way.

I know im probally infamous for this by now, but here is a little selection made by Rey Oropeza of downset about hate, discrimination, and acceptance. enjoy:

On April 29 of 1992, it finally happened. I knew it was going to come. All not guilty. Almost all charges were dropped. Watching TV I could not believe it. I knew that same night it was "going to be on." Me and my homeboys from places Pacoima, Watts, Southgate, East L.A. San Fernando, Compton, Venice, etc... From the whole of L.A. County. We had been talking about how pissed off we were about the way things had been going. Countless times we had been harassed by Sheriffs, CRASH units and Black & Whites. They called us niggers, wet backs, white trash and beat our bodies for reasons that only their twisted programmed minds could justify.

Driving down Vermont off of Melrose is when I could see how angry people were really getting at this system. I could remember watching these people blasting at CRASH officers who were driving away for their lives and it disturbed my heart when I felt some kind of revenge feeling as this mob was chasing this all-gray car down Vermont.

I must say that my resentment and anger can be heard in this song. When when your loved ones are murdered by the hands of this system and you are exposed to a lifelong dreary existence at the mercy of the welfare system and practically useless schooling by the LAUSD, I will garantee you that you will build and feel a hate that only a starving poor ghetto-barrio child could fully understand.

Driving down the 101 freeway with my homeboy Joke through downtown L.A. I could barely see the tall corporate skyscrapers of this modern babylon through the dingy grey blackened smoke. Within and interwined in these clouds of ashes and smoke I could see thousands of my native american ancestors faces. Limitless corrupted police beatings, dead starving children, homeless, jobless, crying mothers, murders, countless Daryl Gates LAPD and FBI and CIA evil plans, numerous rapes, beggars in the streets, child pronography rings, endless covered up police and government scandals under the name of national security, and even the spirits of of my dead homeboys and my father's soul rising into the sky into the arms of the great spirit.

The anger of a generation was being heard all over this world and I knew from this day on that the people of L.A. would never be the same after this. It was the beginning of the end. Anger. Anger. On April 29 of 1992 Love was gone and hatred in the hearts of man was more important than compassion. It is inevitable in a society that treats people like animals... I am not an animal and have been treated like one. I am the descendent of the Native American. I am not an animal or a wetback... I am a human being and as human as ones you love. I am humanity.

Rey Downset 1994

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: liquid_sky ]