IGNORED

prototype back then??

atarimastermarty

quote:

Originally posted by marty:

Back when th atari 2600 was the good system (i waSnt alive) did any of you guys have or know any one who had prototypes

Certainly while Atari was still in business it'd probably be pretty difficult to get your hands on a prototype cartridge unless you worked at Atari or needed a review copy of the game. And I'm sure the same is true for most of the other companies. People who did get their hands on protos probably held onto them closely, knowing they were property of the company who created them (and that the company would want them back if they found out about it!)

Doesn't answer your question, but I don't think you'll find that too many people (at least people reading these boards) had prototypes way back then.

..Al

A friend of mine has (at least for now) a prototype of Secret Agent that he's had for quite some time. He's not sure how he managed to get it, and I can't even begin to imagine how a Data Age prototype ended up in Canada, but oh well...

--Zero

King  I knew a kid in school, who's dad worked for Atari and he would bring home prototypes to test.  

That would have been my bestest friend of all. I have a cousing who always had the newest releases as soon as they came out, so he was the closest thing to 'an insider' that I knew.

This is somewhat of an aside, but:

A friend of my sisters, her father worked for Atari in some capacity or maybe he was a big stock holder or something. We got a crapload of Pac Man stickers, the ones that animate, and that's about it. When Atari Inc went down the tubes it had quite an effect on that family.

Ok heres this post once more

I got a cart from a woman in NJ . a garage sale whos husband worked selling atari games. He got many new items before reasale. ( some never made ti to the shelves ) . one game i got from her at teh sale was Mogul Maniac for the 8 bit. (in a ROMOX case) now this isnt proven to be a Proto. and probably isnt. might be just a copy on a EPROM. but to this day i am known with theonly copy with a case and label . i dont even know if there is another one witha case. i heard one guy from VIDEO61 had a copy on chip butno case or label. But for like .75 who am i to pass on somethign like that. (to be honest i thought it was junk till i told the board about it here. i got one email like " i dont want to set the board offbut i think you got somethign rare there". thanks man for that piece of advice hehe. but it might not be a proto but it is sure rare.