IGNORED

Most Disappointing Cancelled Games...

Jess Ragan

This should spark some discussion. I guess I'd have to say Circus Charlie... I suspect that its colorful graphics and at least four of its six rounds would have been reproduced quite well on the 2600.

I always wondered how the McDonald's game and Octo***** (which sounded like an early version of Bad Dudes to me) would have turned out. Considering Treasure's McDonald's game and Virgin's Global Gladiators for the Genesis the Mickey Dee's game for the 2600 may not have been that bad. I guess I'll just have to be happy with Pressure Cooker, huh?

JR

quote:

I read on the Blue Sky Ranger's page that the James Bond 007 game based off of Octop_ussy was released... was this a different game?

Can you provide a URL for the page that says that? The screens I've seen for the Octo***** game don't look like anything released that I know of.

Also, one game I was hungrily looking for is Commavid's Rush Hour, and another game I'd LOVE to see but was probably just a sham is Gammation's Gamma Attack.

What's disappointing to me is never seeing an actual Atari 2600 Ladybug cartridge in gaming action. (I still wonder whether the writers of one of Electronic Games' Buyer's Guides actually got to play a real version of it or not, since it was listed in there as an actual game.)

I kind of wonder how many prototypes are out there. It's possible that dozens were swept under the rug after the crash, since it seemed to happen so suddenly. One day, you'd be working on a translation of an arcade game, and the next, you'd be in the unemployment office.

Back to the topic, I really would have liked to see Konami's version of Scramble for the 2600. I know, Super Cobra is essentially the same thing, but I suspect that Konami's game might have been better than Parker Brothers'.

JR

P.S. Would the forum software stop censoring my posts if I just called the unreleased 007 game Octo-vagina from now on? :P

quote:

Originally posted by Tronic:

OCTO*****, SAY THE WHOLE DAMN WORD, OCTO*****. That was really getting on my nerves.

WTF IS GOING ON HERE??? AAAAAAAAAAAAH

Yes, we have it setup to censor a few choice words, and you've discovered one of them. However, I just made a change so words like Octopussy and pussycat will now display properly. While Alex and I are not offended by, uhmmm, colorful language, we surely draw many children to the site and there's usually no need for swearing when discussing classic gaming. I find it amusing that the software was censoring the word Octopussy (or at least part of it).

..Al

I remember I was VERY excited as a kid when I read games like Friday the 13th and Jaws and many other movie titles were coming out for the 2600 ( Airplane, 48 hours ) I think 20 Century Fox was putting them out. Electronic Gaming monthy reported it in their magazine... I waited and waited...*sigh*

quote:

Originally posted by moycon:

I remember I was VERY excited as a kid when I read games like Friday the 13th and Jaws and many other movie titles were coming out for the 2600 ( Airplane, 48 hours ) I think 20 Century Fox was putting them out. Electronic Gaming monthy reported it in their magazine

That would have been Electronic Games since EGM didn't start until 1989. The titles you mentioned were announced by Sega, which was owned by the parent company of Paramount. They had a handout at CES which listed all of these titles.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: rolenta ]

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: rolenta ]

Have you played the Atari 5200 version of Pengo? It's pretty close to the arcade.

To me at least, some of those later unreleased Atari titles sound interesting. Games like: Street Fight, Surround II, Preppie, and Foxbat all sound neat to me.

And what about Pyromania for the 7800? A game where you set fire to things would be awesome (in a sick way).

Tempest