IGNORED

Prototypes.... why so cheap?

Blackjack

My question is will these work on any 2600? Because some time ago when Atari7800.com was planning on selling these, they stated they could only get the repros to work on 7800s, and thus they were gonna sell Save Mary and Shooting Arcade as 7800 only games, even though they were actually 2600 titles and worked in 2600 mode.

Something about the ram on them made them only work on the 7800?

anyway, whether that is true or not, the auctions do not state whether they will actually work in either 2600 or 7800 or only on the 7800 etc..

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is that prototype should not be written in the title.

When they said that Best Electronics released this on a limited basis, did they mean that Best Electronics is the one who produced the repros with new labels, or did they mean Best Electronics released the original prototypes on a limited basis? :?

Phil

I am the one who posted them on Atari 7800.com over two years ago.

The reason for the 7800-only compatibility has to do with the availibility of the Sara chip. The original game had been developed for the 2600 using the Sara chip on board the cartridge. I had attained access to one of the prototypes and got together with another vendor who would have these produced. Problem was, Sarah chips were not readilly available so the only way to make the game work properly was to put it on a 7800 cartridge to operate in 2600 mode. Otherwise it would have been way to expensive if not nearly impossible.

Also, the labels on the reproductions that are out there did not come from me. Only one Save Mary! (as well as Shooting Arcade) was made with our label and that sold on eBay in April. If anyone wishes to print your own high-rez label, PM me and I'll send you the file. It's like 400 dpi.

Justin

post-4261-1094275783_thumb.jpg