IGNORED

2600 Galaxian Hack

Alex

Great job on the Galaxian hack - the graphics look excellent! (almost like the 5200/800 version). Does anyone know how difficult is it to change the colors? If the enemies were teal/blue w/red eyes, purple/blue w/red eyes, red/blue w/yellow eyes and yellow/blue with red eyes (like the arcarde) it would look even more authentic. Also - is there a way to blank out the border (make it black or something?).

Either way - an excellent update...

quote:

Originally posted by Tempest:

For the love of god make Donkey Kong look like a Ape rather than an bloated hamster!

I actually worked on trying to fix Donkey Kong. There's a major problem, however: Donkey Kong himself, the major graphic f-up, is comprised of only one sprite (eight pixels wide, just overblown to the max) that is reversed back and forth. There's nothing any graphic editing can do to change that. It would require an overhaul to the code, and I'm not up to it.

Donkey Kong Jr. might just be able to be tweaked a bit, but I'm not sure by how much considering how shabbily Coleco programmed it.

Thanks for the comments, guys! I'm relieved that all of them are positive... ^_^

Personally, I was thinking of making Gorf my next target for hacking. Some of the graphics are all right, but the aliens in the first round are totally different from the arcade version and the flagship looks like the world's largest hypodermic needle.

Y'know, it's kind of weird... the game designers of the time had the technology to make the 2600 games look better than they did, but many of those games ended up looking blocky and ugly anyways. Maybe the companies they worked for (except Activision and Imagic) didn't think it was important to hire artists to work on the actual games; just programmers.

JR (that's Jess, not Jeff, by the way... ^^

P.S. It'd be nice to spend some quality time with Springer as well. It's a promising concept, a lot like Kangaroo, actually, but the graphics in that game are nowhere near as cartoony as they should be.

quote:

Originally posted by Chad Hendrickson:

Can someone post side-by-side screenshots of the original and updated version?

Also, do the same for the other hacks (Mario Bros, etc..)

This may be too big a hassle, but if there are going to be a lot of these now, maybe AtariAge could set up a section for these things.

I mean I'm not going to keep the original Return of Mario Bros. file on my web page forever. (That space is actually used by my theatrical company, The Shakespeare Company of Greater Rochester. I'll eventually need the space.) It's going to have to have a central location eventually.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

This may be too big a hassle, but if there are going to be a lot of these now, maybe AtariAge could set up a section for these things.

I mean I'm not going to keep the original
Return of Mario Bros.
file on my web page forever. (That space is actually used by my theatrical company,
The Shakespeare Company of Greater Rochester
. I'll eventually need the space.) It's going to have to have a central location eventually.

Working on it, expect something soon.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Greg @ TAT:

What do you use to hack these roms? A hex editor? Maybe someone should write a 2600 rom hacking program??

Hi Greg,

Take a look at this thread which has lots of answers regarding how to hack 2600 games. We should probably create a page based on this information:

Return of Mario Bros. Thread

Enjoy!

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Jack-Ass Tramiel:

[QB]Albert,

How about mentioning this guy's hack in the news, too:

http://kudla.org/raindog/pac26.html

He hacked Ms. Pac-Man to make a better version of Pac-Man. I'm surprised this isn't listed in the ROM archive.[QB]

Thanks for pointing that out. We're busy collecting hacks so we can put them online now that the Mario Bros. update has generated so much buzz. We probably won't put these games directly into the database as regular entries in the rarity guides, but they will be linked from the normal games to their own pages (and vice versa). It should be pretty slick when it's done, and we'll certainly solicit feedback once it's online.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

We're busy collecting hacks so we can put them online now that the Mario Bros. update has generated so much buzz.

Gosh, what have I wrought?

Anyway, (and I'm sure you thought of this) you should make certain and get the a-ok from the person who did the hack before putting it up. You've certainly got mine, but you want to be sure not to step on anyone's toes.

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

Anyway, (and I'm sure you thought of this) you should make certain and get the a-ok from the person who did the hack before putting it up. You've certainly got mine, but you want to be sure not to step on anyone's toes.

Yeah, we'll only be including hacks that are already widely available on the net, and those that aren't we'll get permission from before posting. Not yet sure how many hacks we'll have in there initially, but I'm sure it'll grow at a steady pace.

..Al

the Coleco employees that made the Colecovisions donkey kong and the 2600 donkey kong must hate that game just as much as the 2600 pacman's programmer hates pac-man

I mean have any of you seen Colecovisions Super Donkey Kong? its WAY better

(if i did something wrong correct me so Ill know but if you aren't sure either dont correct me or ill go and find out for sure and the correct you not like thats some threat or something awful like that....) erm... im gonna end...this...post now.