IGNORED

50 Worst Atari 2600 Games Ever

Radio F Software

I can't really think of 50, but I can think of a few here...

Pooyan. THe poor framerate makes it unplayable.

Basic Math. Bor-ring!

Math Gran Prix Bor-ring!

Pac Kong. Yep, totally unplayable. I almost wish one of our resident hax0rz around here would look at the code of that one to see if there's a good game hidden inside.

Burgertime. Worst. Arcade Translation EVA

Games with a grade of F:

Desert Falcon

ET

Reactor

Realsports Baseball

Super Cobra

Word Zapper

I gotta take issue with these games from your list. They're all games I've gotten some pleasure from, and IMHO don't deserve a grade of F. DF, Reactor, and SC in particular were better than average for me. Unlike the film, E.T. is not very accessible, but it's kinda sorta charming in its own way, moreso than Raiders of the Lost Ark for me.

Play some more Froggo-released games, early sports games, or the Atari Flashback and try again. :P

Seriously. Try Football sometime; it's as shite as Home Run ever was. What a mess.

Games with a grade of F:

3d Tic Tac Toe

Airlock

Basic Programming

Brain Games

China Syndrome

Condor Attack

Cruise Missile

Custer's Revenge

Dancing Plates

Desert Falcon

Double Dragon

ET

Final Approach

Fire Fly

Flag Capture

Homerun

Journey Escape

Karate

Laser Blast

Marauder

Oink!

Pigs In Space

Porky's

Quadrun

Quick Step

Rampage

Reactor

Realsports Baseball

Skeet Shoot

Slot Machine

Slot Racers

Space Jockey

Spikes Peak

Squeeze Box

Star Ship

Stellar Track

Super Baseball

Super Cobra

Sub Scan

Survival Island

Sword of Saros

Swordquest Earthworld

Swordquest Fireworld

Task Force

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Video Checkers

Word Zapper

You're crazy. Quadrun is a great game. As is sword of saros, survival island, and oink!

I'm not sure why people don't like Reactor. The controls are difficult to master, and the motion's a lot more subtle than, say, Asteroids, because the game is all about fighting with your momentum. You might not see much happen on the screen even though you're busy slamming the joystick to smash those particles against the walls. A lot of the action is about staying still! And it has groovin, bassy theme music to boot. =)

I'm not sure why people don't like Reactor. The controls are difficult to master, and the motion's a lot more subtle than, say, Asteroids, because the game is all about fighting with your momentum. You might not see much happen on the screen even though you're busy slamming the joystick to smash those particles against the walls. A lot of the action is about staying still! And it has groovin, bassy theme music to boot. =)

The Trackball gives the game a whole new experience. MUCH better control, and it feels like the arcade. A very well done port, if used by the trackball.

Now for the worst games IMO.

All "Adult" games

All Mythicon games

Air Raid

Laser Blast (Boring and repetitive, very easy)

Glib

Atari Video Cube

Math Grand Prix

Fun with Numbers

Hangman

Artillery Duel

Chuck Norris's Superkicks

Swordquest Series

Burgertime

Basic Programming

Sneak'n Peek

Chase the Chuckwagon

Any Froggo game

That's it for now.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Now for the worst games IMO.

Burgertime

Basic Programming

Burgertime didn't seem all that bad. To be sure, it used missles and the Ball to represent three of the enemies, but that allows the enemies to appear on the same scan line without flicker. The appearance might have been less annoying if the code moved those objects as it changed the width so as to make them spin about their center rather than the edge, but I would say the programmers did a reasonable job of trying to deal with the 2600's limitations.

As for Basic Programming, I think it unfortunate that Atari didn't bundle a keyboard with it. Extending the normal keypad scanning techniques to a device that plugged into both controller ports would have allowed for 48 buttons. Not great, but it would have avoided the need for four different shift states.

Be that as it may, the Basic Programming cart would seem like a pretty amazing accomplishment. Managing to get such a cart working while leaving half of the 2600's memory available is pretty amazing and I have no idea how Mr. Robinett accomplished it. My guess is that he must have re-used a lot of memory locations on-the-fly, but I still find it hard to believe. BTW, I wonder if would be adaptable to the SuperCharger? That'd allow enough user RAM to make things almost worthwhile.

Also, BTW, I just tried Stellar Track. Pretty faithful adaptation of the classic 'mainframe' game, though I do find some things a bit puzzling. Although I remembered the directions 1-8, I have no clue why this game would use those instead of arrows. I also found irksome the fact that impulse engines won't allow the ship to leave a sector (in the classic versions, they would go to the edge of the next sector).

Wow... this came back and kinda scared me. I don't exactly know why this was in this forum unless it got moved here or the forum name was changed. The person whom I work with to put together these lists quit... and he was good at it :( . I guess if you guys want we can move this to the 2600 forum and just talk about the worst games ever. :P

Games with a grade of F:

China Syndrome

762591[/snapback]

Am I the only guy who'll stand up for this game? To be sure, a couple of slight hacks would improve it considerably [change the background color between 'zones' to make the boundaries clearer, and erase the sprite data for the obstacles] but despite its limitations I do find the gameplay compelling. Perhaps I'll code my own version with a few more improvements and see how that plays.

Ok i vote for Raider of the Lost Ark on teh merit that I cant get out of the bloody title screen the fire key, reset , anything , no matter what i do i cant get out of the damn screen and ive tried different carts. i think this makes it the worse game. totally blows when you can not get out of the 1982 © atari inc

708357[/snapback]

Jeez, have you tried reading the manual? Online walkthroughs?

Ok i vote for Raider of the Lost Ark on teh merit that I cant get out of the bloody title screen the fire key, reset , anything , no matter what i do i cant get out of the damn screen and ive tried different carts. i think this makes it the worse game. totally blows when you can not get out of the 1982 © atari inc
Did you try using the right joystick? I don't remember offhand but I think ROTLA uses the right one...I had that same issue last time I tried to play it.

708438[/snapback]

You're almost there - you need to use BOTH joysticks to play Raiders!

Am I the only guy who'll stand up for this game? To be sure, a couple of slight hacks would improve it considerably [change the background color between 'zones' to make the boundaries clearer, and erase the sprite data for the obstacles] but despite its limitations I do find the gameplay compelling. Perhaps I'll code my own version with a few more improvements and see how that plays.

Bravo! I like this one too. Graphics are so-so, but the gameplay is original and fun.

My worst games are:

Ssnake

Bugs

Firefly

That strawberry shortcake game

Warplock

There are plenty more, but those are some undeniable stinkers.