IGNORED

High Score Club Week 23: Lock 'n' Chase

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Uh oh, the cops are on your tail! Run around and grab all the money before they find you, or you'll be carted off in the paddy wagon, because this week's game is Lock 'n' Chase!

Game Information
Left Difficulty A/Expert - Faster Game
Right Difficulty N/A in a 1 player game
Game Mode Game 1 - 1 Player
Chosen By LarcenTyler

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, September 12th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

In case you don't have the ROM for this game, it can be found at the AtariAge Profile Page for this game. You can also find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information there.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by sku_u! Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible sku_u!

High Scores:

• [*]silverfuji.gif90,340 (the 5th ghost)
[+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif50,460 (keilbaca) [+8]
[*]38,180 (Fellow Atari Man) [+7]
[*]27,470 (Ze_ro) [+6]
[*]26,660 (Goochman) [+5]
[*]22,900 (elviticus) [+4]
[*]19,710 (BlackAtarian) [+3]
[*]17,500 (KaeruYojimbo) [+2]
[*]16,840 (Malc74) [+1]
[*]16,540 (Gamemaster_ca_2003)
[*]14,360 (tin)
[*]13,970 (Keir)
[*]13,240 (khryssun)
[*]11,490 (gospeedde)
[*]10,090 (LarcenTyler)
[*]6090 (RadioFSoftware)
[*]5540 (Dan Iacovelli)
  • :
    (Default Settings)
    • 999,999 (Todd Rogers)
      [*]234,700 (Ron Corcoran)
      [*]78,330 (Robert T Mruczek)

Best Tips:

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 77,854
    [*]Std. Deviation: 54,449
    [*]Total Score: 1,401,379

Current Standings
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [167]
[*]the 5th ghost [162]
[*]sku_u [89]
[*]Ze_ro [77]
[*]jedijeff [69]
[*]keilbaca [62]
[*]Stingray [48]
[*]Chris++ [44]
[*]Malc74 [41]
[*]Saldo [39]
[*]Fellow Atari Man [29]
[*]Shannon [28]
[*]bobafett07728 [27]
[*]Keir [26]
[*]bjk7382 [24]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]cuteycat2 [23]
[*]Robert M [23]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [23]
[*]taxman [23]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [22]
[*]tin [21]
[*]khryssun [21]
[*]crsdawg [20]
[*]Numan [19]
[*]homerwannabee [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]Tsukasa [15]
[*]gospeedde [14]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Kurushimi [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]kemsted [10]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [9]
[*]Goochman [8]
[*]LarcenTyler [7]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]NE146 [7]
[*]EricDeLee [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]128bytes [3]
[*]elviticus [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]Nateo [2]
[*]therealred5 [2]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]vb_master [1]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Scooterb23 [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [0]
[*]video game addict [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]Luigi301 [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Gateway [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]sabeen557 [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]liquid_sky [0]
[*]Spirantho [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]AcidTone [0]
[*]FireTiger [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]BigFairy321 [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]Xot [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]BlackAtarian [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]Big Player [0]

Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If
you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Member List
sku_u, Luigi301, Max-T, adams_ale, gamerz, Christophero Sly, Trooper, Nateo, homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikeftrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, taxman, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman, NE146, keilbaca, vb_master, Sora, Malc74, sabeen557, 128bytes, Kurushimi, Fellow Atari Man, liquid_sky, InanimateCarbonRod, Krazy_kamino, pmpddytim, cuteycat2, kemsted, Xot, Scooterb23, elviticus, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, RadioFSoftware

Scoring Points in Lock 'n' Chase - Unknown, probably after 999,999

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well no problem, because AtariAge has a typed copy of the manual available online right over here.

What's that? You're too damn lazy to click that link? Well, here's the hints that it give:
  • Keep your thief on the run! Always look for an escape route, the police are right behind you.
    [*]Try to trap police between two doors on the lower left or right vertical corridors. Get extra points for this feat.
    [*]Don't stay around open side doors for long...the police can come through here too!
    [*]Be careful in the corners. It's easy to get trapped there!
    (the manual)
One strategy tip that I know is that the game can't have more than two cops in a horizontal row - the program won't allow it. (Nukey Shay)
You can use the doors to blockade the cops when they're right on your tail, even if you don't plan on using the other door to try to trap them (since trapping them can be a bit difficult anyway). (Fellow Atari Man)
A couple other tips is that the treasures are good for bonus points, but most of the time you should only grab them when you have a clear shot at them; a lot of times there will be a cop around them, so snagging one (or both) can be pretty risky. However, if you CAN get one or two, it'll freeze the cops for half a second or so, giving you a good head start on what your next move should be. (Fellow Atari Man)
Another couple of tips:

*Try to "clean up" a row when you can, like if one gold bar is left in a row, try to get back to clearing it as soon as possible, since going over a same area more than once takes up time and runs the risk of getting caught by a cop.

*If you stay on a screen long enough without getting caught and have pretty good judgment, you should be able to predict when the top treasure will appear, and therefore be able to position yourself around that area at the time you think it will appear so you can grab it for a bonus (as long as the coast is clear).
(Fellow Atari Man)
Some of my own tips:
  • Remember that a lot of the strategies for Pac-Man also work for this game too... for example, the guards can never turn a 180 to catch you... this means that you can often follow behind one safely. (Edit: I may have been wrong here... cops definitely can pull 180's after the pause caused when you grab a treasure, and may also pull 180's in order to prevent having two on a vertical line!)
    [*]It's possible to catch more than one guard in the corner if they're essentially on top of each other when you close the doors. It's tricky to do, and you don't get any extra points out of it, but it'll tie up the extra guards so you can make your getaway a bit easier.
    [*]The guards seem to travel at the same speed as you do, so if one is on your tail, make sure you don't slow down AT ALL. This is especially important when you come to dead ends, so make sure you're holding a direction as you hit the dead end so that you won't stop at all. Since the guard is moving at the same speed, and is always right behind you, you can essentially ignore him and just go about your business without worrying too much about him catching up to you. This may be a good time to lead him into the corner to trap him. If you're worried he's too close, try closing doors to throw him off your trail.

Good luck everyone!

--Zero

(Ze_ro)

Heh, at first I was thinking "this doesn't seem any different on Difficulty a!", but then I noticed I hadn't even cleared ONE stinkin' screen at the time (I can usually clear a good half dozen on a halfway decent game on diff. b ;)).

A couple other tips is that the treasures are good for bonus points, but most of the time you should only grab them when you have a clear shot at them; a lot of times there will be a cop around them, so snagging one (or both) can be pretty risky. However, if you CAN get one or two, it'll freeze the cops for half a second or so, giving you a good head start on what your next move should be.

Whew, this is pretty tough on difficulty a!

Another couple of tips:

*Try to "clean up" a row when you can, like if one gold bar is left in a row, try to get back to clearing it as soon as possible, since going over a same area more than once takes up time and runs the risk of getting caught by a cop.

*If you stay on a screen long enough without getting caught and have pretty good judgment, you should be able to predict when the top treasure will appear, and therefore be able to position yourself around that area at the time you think it will appear so you can grab it for a bonus (as long as the coast is clear).

post-3650-1094535166_thumb.jpg

22,900 is my best so far.   I like how you get a free second or so after you do anything good (get treasure/trap cop etc.).   I DON'T like that sometimes when you trap a cop you don't get points for it.    Overall though, a hard and fun game!

DOH!!! Why don't I read the instructions?? :ponder:

You can only catch the cops in the corner ... once ... per .. board...

DOH!

One strategy tip that I know is that the game can't have more than two cops in a horizontal row - the program won't allow it.

You know Nukey, I'm surprised that, with your programming knowledge and all, that you don't use that to whup ALL of our butts with :D (robot video game soldier Todd Rogers still excluded on that one, though).

Well, I thought I'd be happy just breaking 30,000, but then I almost made it another 10,000 on top of that!

Damn cops won't leave me alone though...

And would ONE energizer be asking for too much here?! (And don't even TELL me it wasn't that way on the game originally!)

post-3650-1094623404_thumb.jpg