IGNORED

Odyssey 2 -> Atari 2600 port

Cybergoth

Which Odyssey 2 game should be ported to the 2600?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which Odyssey 2 game should be ported to the 2600?

• Attack of the Timelord
    • Conquest of the World
    • K.C. Munchkin
    • K.C.'s Krazy Chase
    • Killer Bees
    • Loony Balloon
    • Pick Axe Pete
    • Quest for the Rings
    • Turtles
    • UFO

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi there!

Just had another idea for a poll. I don't know if ever anyone will do one of these, but let's just see which Odyssey 2 game is the most desired for the Atari 2600 :)

For the selection I simply picked those games with the highest ratings in database of the Odyssey 2 homepage...

Greetings,

Manuel

This just points out how much better the 2600 offerings were in the first place. With the exception of the Master Strategy games (which would be damn complicated to reproduce), there isn't a single game on that list that isn't a weak imitation of what the 2600 had to offer.

Why play Pick Axe Pete when you can play Kangaroo (or soon Jumpman for that matter), why Attack of the Timelord when we have a dozen better shooters already available?

The only good choices would be Turtles, because it was one of the few coin-op hits that didn't make it to the 2600 or KC's Crazy Chase which was significantly different from the other dot-eaters.

Thinking over the whole O2 catalog, I really don't see much for worthwhile candidates. I'm still going with KC's Krazy Chase because it was unlike the standard Pac clone. KC Munchkin wasn't so good that it needs to be ported to a system that already has Ms PacMan, Jawbreaker, and Hangly Man.

The othet good candidate would be Smithereens.

Why play Pick Axe Pete when you can play Kangaroo (or soon Jumpman for that matter)?

Pick Axe Pete is much better than Kangaroo, even the arcade version. I don't think there is another climbing game that plays like it. And it has the unique Odyssey feature of one life per game. Does anyone know why most of the O2 games have that feature? Is it a RAM limitation or a programming limitation?

Selecting a game is a tough call for me. I'd love to see either of the Master Strategy games, but I don't see how you would pull them off. You could print out the map, but what would you use for tokens? And the big problem with the Master Strategy series is finding people to play with. I have friends who like to play board games, but they hate video games.

I don't think Turtles was much of an arcade game. Never tried the Odyssey port.

Smithereens is great with the voice module. I don't know if you could get even close to that sound with the 2600. But then, the Synthcart amazes me still, so who knows.

I'll go with Pick Axe Pete, though I haven't played some of the rare titles in this poll.

there isn't a single game on that list that isn't a weak imitation of what the 2600 had to offer.

:o :razz: ;)

My brain says Pick Axe Pete, but my heart says Smithereens.

(Reminds me of that Letterman gag: "Her mind said butter. Her heart said...Buttafuoco.")

I've always felt K.C.'s Crazy Chase was a much better game than K.C. Munchkin, especially with The Voice. It was actually K.C.'s Crazy Chase (and UFO) that got me hooked on classic games in the first place!

For what it's worth, Odyssey had quite a few games that were admittedly knockoffs of Atari games, but they were innovative in their gameplay. Pick-Axe Pete, U.F.O., and K.C.'s Crazy Chase looked similar to their models (Donkey Kong, Asteroids, and Pac-Man/Centipede(?), respectively) but offered almost completely different gameplay. And let's not forget the Master Strategy Series board-type games...Atari never even attempted that, nor did anyone else. That being said, the Odyssey library consists of many games which I feel are superior imitations of Atari offerings :P

As for the Odyssey-Atari port, I say UFO. I love space games, and I've always liked that game in particular.

Robot Tank! :D   (but maybe I should eventually finish that myself...:ponder:)

Yes! You won your own O2 game contest! :P

My personal choice is Smithereens .. but it is a two player game and how could AI be done to make it a one player game?

Killer Bees is very fun. I'm going to have to pull out the O2 with voice and try KC's Crazy Chase.

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Hi there!

I've always felt K.C.'s Crazy Chase was a much better game than K.C. Munchkin

I totally agree with you. I'm really amazed by the poll result so far, I had expected for example that a unique title like Killer Bees would do much better than yet another Pac-Man clone ;)

Actually my hope was that the question would rather be interpreted as "which port would fill in a gap on the 2600" than "which is your favourite O2 game"... :lol:

Greetings,

Manuel