IGNORED

Atari 130xe programming question..

zore

i dont know which enviroments work best , interms of available software(compilers and such), like i dont have any software right now. I have dos and basic, ive only ever programmed in basic on the atari, so which ide(programs) do i use in order to use c and assembler?

thanks

any help would be appreciated.

I would say programming is far easier in assembler, but it depends on how much stuff you want to do.

If your looking to just crank out a few programs and dont care about the specifics of how it gets done, check out Action!. If you want complete control over every aspect then there is no other choice than assembler.

Steve

Thanks all for the heads up guys, these answers will save me alot of time and diggin around.

So i think ill go c and assembler then, i want to do graphics and stuff nothing to crazy just for fun. What about op codes and documentation, any source for these?

Also is Atari "basic" too limited for small games and graphics? if not what are some of the drawbacks or limitations using the basic language?

Thanks a million :D

So i think ill go c and assembler then, i want to do graphics and stuff nothing to crazy just for fun.  What about op codes and documentation, any source for these?

The rather spiffy http://www.atariarchives.org/ contains online versions of several books that should cover the opcodes and a couple that are excellent for delving around the hardware.

Also is Atari "basic" too limited for small games and graphics? if not what are some of the drawbacks or limitations using the basic language?

It's pretty much like any machine's BASIC in that the main issue is speed; whilst the hardware can help out a lot more than with some other 8bits, that point where it becomes impossible to do what you want rears it's head sooner or later... But yes, you can do small games and some graphics stuff (and a bit more with some trickery and/or small machine code helper routines).