IGNORED

OK, is this the biggest proto find in the world or...

Sylentwulf

What those most likely are is a set of pirated chips. Basically someone burned the game onto an EPROM so they could plug it into a Ziff socket and play the game. BAck when employees had free access to games and carts were expensive pirating games like this was a common occurance. They're not prototypes, I can tell you that much.

Here's a good picture of my own pirated chip collection:

Pirated Eproms

Tempest

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Tempest ]

More likely it's just the second copy of that game. Notice he also has Jawbreaker, Super Breakout, and Space Cavern. There really is a Jawbreaker II, but not for the 2600. As for the other games there were no planned sequels (Super Breakout already was a sequel).

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

Regarding the "II" carts... Perhaps those are 2K EPROMs (2716) for 4K games, so it requires a "I" EPROM as well as a "II" EPROM... (I'm assuming 2732 EPROMs are 4K, which I can't remember for sure).

You are quite right. For >1M EPROM, the number indicates kiloBIT and the 27 series are 8 bit wide so 16Kbit @8 bit equals 2Kbyte.

(EPROM 1M and up the number are a little different. 27010 is 1Mbit, 020 is 2Mbit, etc.)

quote:

Originally posted by Russ Perry Jr:

Regarding the "II" carts... Perhaps those are 2K EPROMs (2716) for 4K games, so it requires a "I" EPROM as well as a "II" EPROM... (I'm assuming 2732 EPROMs are 4K, which I can't remember for sure).

Damn, you beat me to it! That's exactly what I was about to say...

--Zero

Many, many, many of these old pirated EPROMS were mislabeled. It's very possible that "Jawbreaker II," Super Breakout II," and "Space Cavern II" were all just mislabeled. I've actually never heard of a loose EPROM containing a prototype game -- if there are any out there, they are quite rare.

Anybody?