IGNORED

High Score Club Week 32: Wizard of Wor

keilbaca

Welcome to the mystical kingdom of Wor! You have been placed in command of an elite squadron of Worriors assigned the task of outwitting the sinister Wizard of Wor! As you descend into his diabolical dungeons, you will encounter deadly Worlings and maybe even the Wizard himself! Your only weapons are your trusty laser, your radar scanner, and your ability and cunning. You will need them all as you attempt to beat the Wizard and earn the title of Worlord! Prepare now, and then let the battle begin!

Game Information
Left Difficulty A - Sneaky Worlings
Right Difficulty A - Sneaky Worlings
Game Mode Game 1 - One Player
Chosen By bjk7382

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Sunday, November 28th at midnight (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

If you don't have a copy of this game, you can find the ROM at the AtariAge Profile Page for this game. You can also find such things as a typed copy of the manual, reviews, screenshots, and other information at that link.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

Next week's game will be chosen by homerwannabee Please send me a Private Message letting me know which game (and difficulty settings) you've chosen as soon as possible homerwannabee!

High Scores:
(Default Settings)
  • 864,500 (Todd Rogers)
    [*]620,800 (Ron Corcoran)
    [*]320,000 (Robert T Mruczek)

Best Tips:

Score Statistics

Current Standings
[*]the 5th ghost [193]
[*]Jeffy Arensmeyer [167]
[*]keilbaca [154]
[*]sku_u [129]
[*]Ze_ro [99]
[*]jedijeff [80]
[*]Malc74 [72]
[*]Fellow Atari Man [57]
[*]bobafett07728 [51]
[*]Saldo [49]
[*]Stingray [48]
[*]Chris++ [44]
[*]Keir [43]
[*]tin [35]
[*]no attack [32]
[*]Shannon [32]
[*]Robert M [29]
[*]gospeedde [25]
[*]Goochman [25]
[*]khryssun [25]
[*]elviticus [24]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [24]
[*]bjk7382 [24]
[*]stayrunner [24]
[*]cuteycat2 [23]
[*]NintendoDieScreaming [23]
[*]taxman [23]
[*]crsdawg [22]
[*]Numan [19]
[*]kemsted [18]
[*]Thomas Jentzsch [17]
[*]homerwannabee [17]
[*]The 8th Passenger [17]
[*]LarcenTyler [15]
[*]Tsukasa [15]
[*]Kurushimi [15]
[*]HermChase [13]
[*]Cybergoth [12]
[*]NovaXpress [12]
[*]Christophero Sly [12]
[*]dykesr [7]
[*]mikeftrevino [7]
[*]NE146 [7]
[*]EricDeLee [6]
[*]Paul Slocum [6]
[*]mvigor [6]
[*]StanJr [5]
[*]video game addict [5]
[*]DeV0 [4]
[*]therealred5 [4]
[*]Blackjack [4]
[*]BlackAtarian [3]
[*]maibock [2]
[*]Nateo [2]
[*]Sora [2]
[*]FireTiger [2]
[*]A2600 [1]
[*]chrisbid [1]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [1]
[*]Scooterb23 [1]
[*]vb_master [1]
[*]Lord Thag [0]
[*]InanimateCarbonRod [0]
[*]Kepone [0]
[*]shining slade [0]
[*]Saikyo [0]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [0]
[*]moycon [0]
[*]gamerz [0]
[*]LU8 [0]
[*]fsuinnc [0]
[*]iguana [0]
[*]Luigi301 [0]
[*]davepesc [0]
[*]Albert [0]
[*]pmpddytim [0]
[*]karnov [0]
[*]pitfallaimee [0]
[*]Happy_Dude [0]
[*]Kialan [0]
[*]xmetalhedx [0]
[*]Gateway [0]
[*]Adrian M [0]
[*]intvgene [0]
[*]ScottHuggins [0]
[*]jeepnut24 [0]
[*]figgler [0]
[*]sabeen557 [0]
[*]Old_Atarian [0]
[*]hobbles [0]
[*]liquid_sky [0]
[*]RadioFSoftware [0]
[*]Spirantho [0]
[*]johnnywc [0]
[*]AcidTone [0]
[*]chadtower [0]
[*]PaulEMoz [0]
[*]BigFairy321 [0]
[*]atari_wizard [0]
[*]Xot [0]
[*]lost child [0]
[*]Bunsen [0]
[*]Big Player [0]
Standings are current as of the beginning of this week,
and do NOT include points from this week's game. If

you think there has been a mistake in any of the
scoring, please contact me.

Member List
homerwannabee, lost child, Happy_Dude, video game addict, Spirantho, bobafett07728, mikeftrevino, Paul Slocum, fsuinnc, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Robert M, DeV0, Gateway, Mendon, Fretwobbler, PaulEMoz, killersquirel, shining slade, chadtower, gospeedde, stayrunner, Big Player, Swingtown, Chris++, hotpants, hobbles, taxman, Ze_ro, maibock, moycon, somePUNK, Saldo, Stingray, Kepone, xmetalhedx, chrisbid, Kialan, Jeffy Arensmeyer, Keir, ToddRogers, Numan, iguana, LU8, jeepnut24, Albert, Tsukasa, Adrian M, dykesr, EricDeLee, Thomas Jentzsch, The 8th Passenger, the 5th ghost, Bunsen, atari_wizard, jedijeff, davepesc, maximebeauvais, buzzguy, bjk7382, khryssun, HermChase, wiz21mx, karnov, Goochman, NE146, keilbaca, vb_master, Sora, Malc74, sabeen557, 128bytes, Fellow Atari Man, liquid_sky, InanimateCarbonRod, Krazy_kamino, pmpddytim, cuteycat2, kemsted, Xot, Scooterb23, elviticus, Dan Iacovelli, LarcenTyler, RadioFSoftware, sku_u, no attack, Kurushimi, Blackjack, fedechab, gamerz, mvigor, Nateo, Cybergoth, A2600, Lord Thag

Scoring Points in Wizard of Wor
Blue Burwors 100 points

Yellow Garwors 200 points

Red Thorwors 500 points

Worluk 1000 points plus double score in the next dungeon

Wizard of Wor 2500 points
Score Rolls? - Unknown, let us know if you can do it!

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, then you can always check out this typed copy of the manual hosted right here at AtariAge.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, here's the hints that is provided in the manual:
  • Pick a safe moment and put your Worrior into play as soon as possible. Otherwise, after 20 seconds he'll be ejected into the dungeon which may leave him in a bad position.
    [*]Learn to use your radar scanner and rely on it to locate invisible Worlings and track their movements.
    [*]Don't shoot without having a plan to hit something. Otherwise, you may not be able to shoot when you have to.

Good luck everyone!

--Keilbaca

(the manual)
Tips:

Unfort the ONLY way to score points here is to find a hiding spot - Each maze has their own place to 'camp' to get teh baddies - Put yourself in a position to fire but keep an eye on the other Entrance -

Hard to explain, but the monsters will swarm a certain area based upon where you are - If you can sorta 'dip your toe' into the hallway it can effect where the monsters come at you - reducing the likely hood that they will find the other entrance to your 'camping' area - otherwise when they get swarming so fast its tough to stop them

Also,
There are only a certain amount of 'bullets' the bad guys can shoot - therefore if a long shot is sent another cant shoot - Also, if you kill the bad guy before his shot reaches you, his bullet disappears.

(Goochman)

Don't kill all the blue Worlings. If you kill enough so one invisible one appears and just kill those, you will only have to deal with one at a time. Hope this helps!

(keilbaca)

I've found that hanging around in an out-of-the-way area of the maze (i.e no long open spaces) and waiting for the worlings to come to you works pretty well. Often you can just repeatedly fire in one direction and just wait for the worlings to run into your shot. The worlings also tend to take certain patterns through the maze, which helps as well. At least it helps when you are not having seizures from the dreadful flicker. Ye gods, but this game make Pac Man look like good on that front.

(Lord Thag)

In each of the 2 mazes, the best spot to attack Worlings from is in the middle of the screen, with walls on your right and left. keep shooting up, but also watch your radar for any Worlings sneaking up from the bottom. This tactic works best on the second maze (with the longer corridor in the middle) since the Worlings are more likely to walk in front of you.

When the Worluk appears be sure to block the exits so he can't escape. It's very important that you shoot him because if you do you will earn double points for everything you shoot in the next dungeon.

To get the Wizard, you want to find an open space (the left-to-right corridor near the top of the screen works well). Keep shooting left and right and eventually you will hit him. Just make sure you have a way to jump out of the way if he gets a shot in your direction.

(Keir)

Um... homerwannabe took a break from these forums for awhile, so I don't know if you'll get the next game chosen by him this week. :ponder:

Did Nateo get to choose a game yet? I know I'd be pissed if I got skipped.

Just wondering. :)

Maybe I'll have some time this week to submit some scores( not )...too busy. :|

Good Luck everybody!

Also, kudos to keilbaca for taking the reigns from Ze_ro while he's busy. 8)

Droooooooool - Love this game - was in the Top 3 in TG until Ron and Co noticed my scores - After toppling each other I gave up - no need to prove I can do 1 mill :)

Skill A should prove to be a challenge!

Tip for this game -

Unfort the ONLY way to score points here is to find a hiding spot - Each maze has their own place to 'camp' to get teh baddies - Put yourself in a position to fire but keep an eye on the other Entrance -

Hard to explain, but the monsters will swarm a certain area based upon where you are - If you can sorta 'dip your toe' into the hallway it can effect where the monsters come at you - reducing the likely hood that they will find the other entrance to your 'camping' area - otherwise when they get swarming so fast its tough to stop them

Also,

There are only a certain amount of 'bullets' the bad guys can shoot - therefore if a long shot is sent another cant shoot - Also, if you kill the bad guy before his shot reaches you, his bullet disappears.

Good luck!

Hopefully I can win the best tips some day :D

Hi there!

Finally a game for Manuel! :)

Haha, but in theory only. I really love WoW, but the flicker of the 2600 version gets me close to epileptic seizures in less than 10 minutes :twisted:

No no, next time I'll participate will be another game...

@keilbaca: Good luck on your new job, thanks for doing it! (If you have a minute, please add me to the memberlist, my name is still missing there)

Greetings,

Manuel

Hi there!

Finally a game for Manuel! :)

Haha, but in theory only. I really love WoW, but the flicker of the 2600 version gets me close to epileptic seizures in less than 10 minutes :twisted:

No no, next time I'll participate will be another game...

@keilbaca: Good luck on your new job, thanks for doing it! (If you have a minute, please add me to the memberlist, my name is still missing there)

Greetings,

Manuel

Ah, right, I also have to add A2600. One of the only things I forgot when adding you guys to the list of the high scores. You're welcome, I just don't want to see such a good thing like this to die, and I'm glad that I'm able to keep it alive.

this game gets thumbs up from me:D

why you ask, 1st, I have this game(it one oif hardest carts for me to get)

and lastly, it's also one my favorite games (used play it at the bowling alley next to my high school after school (my other favorite is tempest).

Also just corindence, I happen to have the game out and sitting by system right now(got a bit tired playing battlezone for while)

when I get a chance I'll play the game.

Well, I'm game if you are willing to accept my scores without a picture, (as I don't have a digital camera). I'm new around here, but this HSC thing is a great way to remember games you have but have forgotten (like WoW here) I gave it a few tries, and my best score is 26100. I'll keep at it.

Well, I'm up to 34900 now.

I've found that hanging around in an out-of-the-way area of the maze (i.e no long open spaces) and waiting for the worlings to come to you works pretty well. Often you can just repeatedly fire in one direction and just wait for the worlings to run into your shot. The worlings also tend to take certain patterns through the maze, which helps as well. At least it helps when you are not having seizures from the dreadful flicker. Ye gods, but this game make Pac Man look like good on that front.