IGNORED

Man Goes Down Label Contest

Albert

I sense a hack coming on...it would offer the potential of a happy end to the game: if E.T.G.D. gets all three parts to the phone, then instead of eventually falling to his death, the spaceship comes and rescues him....on the other hand, you'd have to fight off all those government agents...

Congrats on this super addictive game, Alex! I just discovered it from the front page and now I can't stop playing it.

I've read most of the thread regarding the evolution of the game but I have a few ?s. For purposes of designing a cover, are the skateboard and heli-pack items still in the final game?

And the speech "burp" that I see mentioned...will this be included in the final as well? Any other signature phrases that will definitely end up in the final? I have a few ideas in mind that might include a Q*Bert-style signature word bubble that might be appropriate.

It seems that a big part of this game is the discovery of what power-up items come next which is a great idea and provides incentive to keep playing. So far I've seen a skateboard, heli-pack, arrows, bubble, and fruits. Without "spilling the beans" and telling us what all the actual power-ups are, can you provide any more clues as to what some of them might be? Are they all pretty much powerup items that affect motion, speed and gravity? You mentioned a stop sign icon early in the evolution of the game. Is this still in the game?

And finally, what about our hero? He looks kinda like a blonde surfer-guy that has a fondness for striped clothing. Anything else you care to share about your main character that might give us some background? Or am I overthinking this? :roll:

Sorry if I seem too nosey but I'm just trying to get a clearer picture of what kind of imagery might be appropriate for the cover. And while the actual game is pretty good inspiration itself, I confess I'm not very good at it yet and I'm a little curious if my initial thoughts/experiences with the game are true in later levels as well. Thanks again for the game and time permitting, I'm anxious to contribute an entry or two. :D

Man, Nathan's stuff is gonna be hard to beat.  Again.

You ain't kidding, I thought I had a chance with my first one but all of his are way better.

Nathan, you're giving the rest of us inferiority complexes :D

Too bad you both can't get together and make one that is based on your first one.

I use Photoshop (Adobe) for layout, text, and coloring, Painter (Corel) for drawing and some coloring, FreeHand (Macromedia) for some logos and vector artwork (Adobe Illustrator is functionally similar), and Infini-D (an obsolete 3D app which I need to replace) for some 3D elements.

The majority of my work ends up being done in Photoshop, which I think is absolutely indispensable for any graphics work. Working in layers is the key. It allows you to keep elements separate, work only on what you need to, and change things around as you go. If you can get educational discounts (www.creationengine.com) that's the way to go.

I use a Wacom tablet (9x12 or 12x12) all of the time. I can't even use Photoshop without it anymore.

Yup, my new favourite. :thumbsup:

I still like this one the best so far:http://www.atariage.com/features/contests/ManGoesDown/entry_page.html?ContestID=12&ContestUserID=65&EntryNumber=1

Number 2 or 3 on my list.

I use Photoshop (Adobe) for layout, text, and coloring, Painter (Corel) for drawing and some coloring, FreeHand (Macromedia) for some logos and vector artwork (Adobe Illustrator is functionally similar), and Infini-D (an obsolete 3D app which I need to replace) for some 3D elements.

The majority of my work ends up being done in Photoshop, which I think is absolutely indispensable for any graphics work. Working in layers is the key. It allows you to keep elements separate, work only on what you need to, and change things around as you go. If you can get educational discounts (www.creationengine.com) that's the way to go.

I use a Wacom tablet (9x12 or 12x12) all of the time. I can't even use Photoshop without it anymore.

Cool! Thanks for the info. I'll put that in a Notepad file so I don't forget. Doing work with a mouse really sucks. It will be nice to get a tablet. Seems like all the best computer artists use one.

I use Illustrator and Photoshop for the labels. I just use a mouse, I have a tablet but don't like it very much . I tend to do these things in large obvious symbols so I don't need to do as much fine art drawing as Nathan does so exceedingly well. I actually never took a class or anything in this stuff so my fine art skills are pretty rudimentary.

The labels are weird for me, I work in graphic design, but for TV. I usually design with the idea of movement in a piece and it only being onscreen for like 3 seconds. The labels being static and in print make it difficult for me. They are an interesting challenge for me, I don't really care if I win although I sure wouldn't argue with the kick ass prizes :D

I have to agree with Thomas, the one he picked of Nathan's is my fav right now too. :)