IGNORED

How do you play Yar's Revenge?

RK Sparxster

ok shoot that orange shield thing, then if you have a little flashy block at the other end of the screen make sure you time it right, when you press shoot the little flashy block will go forward, try to make it hit that thing covered by the shield. if it hits him you win you get the flashy one by either touching the bad buy or "eating" some of that shield

For playing game 1:

You must shoot or eat the orange shield away from the enemy base (the underwear ). When you eat a piece of the shield, a rainbow colored block will appear on the left edge of the screen (this cannon is the only thing that can destroy the underwear ) Once the rainbow cannon appears, you cannot shoot your regular gun. As soon as you have a clear shot at the underwear, fire the rainbow cannon at it. If your cannon hits, the screen will induce an epileptic seizure and your score will appear. Press the button to advance to the next level.

Tips:

The rainbow strip in the middle of the screen is the "neutral zone." you cannot do anything offensive there (not even tell fat jokes, har har).

If you shoot the underwear when it turns into a swirl and the swirl is anywhere but the right edge of the screen you get an extra YAR.

You can shoot yourself in the butt with the rainbow cannon, so look out!

You cannot destroy the enemy missile (dot). The only thing you can do is avoid it.

If you need any more help, just let me know

Stan of the YAR clan.

Hey Stan, isn't it possible to (temporarily) destroy the homing missile? I seem to remember playing the game with my cousin many years ago, and we found that it could be removed for a little while if you hit it with the cannon. It was always a little tricky to set up the shot. Of course, this might have only been in a certain game variation.

quote:

Originally posted by ATARIPITBULL:

One time, (snip) I played Yar's for about 2 1/2 hours

Yeah...same here, except it was about 2 weeks ago! I rolled it over and then thought "Well..that was fun...what time is it?"

It was odd because for the first time in about 18 years, I actually found a new technique to add to my "arse"nal against the dread "underwear".

Kinda gives new meaning to "You'll see his mean streak, so stay off it!" Eeew!

quote:

Originally posted by David Britten:

Hey Stan, isn't it possible to (temporarily) destroy the homing missile? I seem to remember playing the game with my cousin many years ago, and we found that it could be removed for a little while if you hit it with the cannon. It was always a little tricky to set up the shot. Of course, this might have only been in a certain game variation.

I thought that too!! I thought I did that as a kid, but have not been able to duplicate it recently. Does anybody know if this still works?????

One time, when I was a little boy, I played Yar's for about 2 1/2 hours, and I mean the power cord was getting hot to touch, then my dad came home and turned it off and said I should go outside and cut the grass for the same amount of time!!. (What a dad).

quote:

Originally posted by StanJr:

I thought that too!! I thought I did that as a kid, but have not been able to duplicate it recently. Does anybody know if this still works?????

This option is set by the difficulty switch. If it is on "A", your "Zorlon Cannon" will destroy the homing missile thingy. Its better to not have this option because the "HMT" gets in the way all the time when you are trying to blast the angry underwear.

Destroying the homing missile isn't terribly useful... Qotile just fires another one right away anyways. I suppose if you're having trouble evading it, then it could buy you a few seconds... but generally, it just stops a shot that could have hit Qotile.

--Zero