IGNORED

What program do you use to take screenshots?

bcprs1

I have been trying to put together a map of Secret Quest to put on my webpage. I use the Stella emulator and some freeware program to take snapshots. The only problem I have is that the colors are always different than the actual colors. I was wondering if anyone knows of a good screenshot program that will get the colors right.

The biggest problem is that many Atari games use flicker to appearently display several things at once. So a screen shot will be missing half (or more) of the action. Here's my patented process for getting good screen shots with PCAEWin:

In PCAEWin run the ROM, then stop it when you want to capture. Open up the debugger, and click the "->Line" button and enter 200 (you may have to do this twice to get a good screen.) Save a screen capture. Then click "->Line" button again and type 200. Save a second screen capture. Then open both up in Photoshop and paste one of the shots on top of the other. In the layer window, set the top layer type to "lighten".

-Paul

I've generally been using StellaX to take screenshots. That's what I started taking screenshots with when we put up AtariAge, and to be consistent with the shots already online I've continued to use it. However, there's no easy way to get around the flicker problem, so I've generally composited together an image from several when I've needed to. For instance, getting the screenshots for Video Life was a royal pain in the neck but had to be done to faithfully reproduce how it actually looks.

I've also used Z26 to take screenshots, especially with games that won't run in Stella. This usually includes new games as they're discovered or released, as they don't yet have a Stella profile and it's easier to get them to run in Z26 (although I've gotten the Stella profile thing down pat now). Since the colors are a bit different between Stella and Z26, I prefer to use Stella just to maintain consistency with what's already on AtariAge.

The PCAEWin advice to take screenshots of flickering games is great and I plan on trying it the next time I need to take a shot of that nature. At some point we'll need to go back through some games that flicker badly and retake screenshots of them using this method.

..Al

For a long time I have make too a map for Skateboardin for the 7800er version. But this is selfmade with paint.

Skateboardin 7800

If you need it, you can use it too. But this is not so good.

If someone find a mistake please tell me.

S is start, z is finish (Ziel german). All points must visit. The long lines are the connections from the floors with one entry and one exit.

Matthias

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

quote:

Originally posted by MattyXB:

Yes, please use it for your site. I am very happy if you use it for AtariAge. Please do it.

Best is you upload it to your site, because my server is sometimes down.

Great, thanks! I'll copy the file locally so it's sitting on AtariAge. Do you have an uncompressed version of the file that you can send me?

Thanks,

..Al