IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 2: Beamrider

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

A beam matrix of iridescent blue engulfs the distant blackness of Earth-Space. You stand watching. First mesmerized, you now realise the beams carry weapons. Frightening creations in endless configurations. Intriguing to watch, but you must take action! Roll up your sleeves, mount these beams and.....ride, because this week's game is Beamrider!

Game Information
Left Difficulty A / Expert: Advanced Difficulty
Right Difficulty Not used
Game Mode Default
Chosen By keilbaca

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Monday, January 31th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be LarcenTyler! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

We cannot post the ROM due to Activison owning rights to the game. Sorry.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

High Scores
[*]silverfuji.gif66,640 (cvga) [+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif65,880 (video game addict) [+9]
[*]58,600 (LarcenTyler) [+8]
[*]46,858 (candiru) [+7]
[*]44,180 (Keir) [+6]
[*]40,850 (keilbaca) [+5]
[*]40,826 (adams_ale) [+4]
[*]39,230 (Cybergoth) [+3]
[*]31,542 (Blackjack) [+2]
[*]24,732 (pitfallaimee) [+1]
[*]22,988 (gospeedde) [+1]
[*]18,820 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
[*]16,850 (Chris++) [+1]
[*]15,348 (Goochman) [+1]
[*]15,168 (Malc74) [+1]
[*]14,880 (Robert M) [+1]
[*]12,108 (racer raul) [+1]
[*]11,588 (sku_u) [+1]
[*]9456 (Philflound) [+1]
[*]8692 (yuppicide) [+1]
[*]8090 (KaeruYojimbo) [+1]
[*]7240 (Christophero Sly) [+1]
[*]3460 (chubsta) [+1]
[*]2236 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]:
(Default Settings)
  • 999,999 (Todd Rogers)
    [*]106,060 (Troy Whelan)
    [*]63,216 (David B. Yancey)

Best Tips:

Beat the Champ (Get Double Points!)

Bounty points, get number of pts offered.

Score Statistics
  • Average Score: 28,383
    [*]Std Deviation: 4487
    [*]Total Score: 709,584

Current Standings
[*]keilbaca [10]
[*]the 5th ghost [9]
[*]video game addict [8]
[*]StanJr [7]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [6]
[*]gospeedde [6]
[*]Christophero Sly [5]
[*]pitfallaimee [3]
[*]candiru [2]
[*]madbutscher [1]
[*]Scooterb23 [1]
[*]Blackjack [1]
[*]bjk7382 [1]
[*]LarcenTyler [1]
[*]chubsta [1]
[*]yuppicide [1]
[*]vdub_bobby [1]
[*]Goochman [1]
[*]Malc74 [1]
[*]Keir [1]
[*]Robert M [1]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [1]
[*]kemsted [1]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [1]
[*]Stingray [1]
[*]iguana [1]
[*]khryssun [1]
[*]Gateway [1]
Standings are current as of the beginning of this week, and do NOT include
points from this week's game. If you think there has been a mistake in
any of the scoring, please contact me.

Member List
LarcenTyler, Goochman, StanJr, vdub_bobby, Gamemaster_ca_2003, Stingray, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, Robert M, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Gateway, gospeedde, KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++

Scoring Points in Beamrider - No, game maxes out at 999,999 points

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, then you can always check out this scanned copy of the manual hosted right here at AtariAge.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, here's some hints from the manual:

• Maintain precise control by learning to TAP the Control Stick to move your ship a single beam at a time. And stay near the centre beams so you won't get boxed into a corner with nowhere to run.
    [*]Zap the white enemy saucers as early in their approach as possible. And check this out: You can hit them when they're slightly off the beam, before they can drop their missiles.
    [*]When you see a yellow rejuvenator, don't abandon all caution as you move to catch it or you'll likely wreck your ship. If an enemy object is blocking the rejuvenator, you can use a torpedo to blast it out of the way. Then, catch the rejuvenator. But remember, you only have three torpedoes and they're your only weapon against the Sector Sentinel.
    [*]And while we're on the subject, when the Sentinel is about to approach, don't sit on the beam you plan to shoot from. Green Blockers will swarm on to it immediately! Instead, wait on a beam you're not going to shoot from (like the one nearest the Sentinel's first sighting). As soon as the Blockers are `locked' onto that beam, zip over to an unblocked beam and torpedo the ship.
    [*]Last, but not least, take time to notice the enemy attack movements. They generally follow a pattern of motion that allows you to anticipate many of their moves.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

(The Manual)
The bonus life every level is pretty nice. I never understood how to get him. I was shooting it before it hit me :lol: But if you can stay alive for the most part, then if you catch the extra life, you can gain more points just by killing the big mothership thing at the end of the board. The more extra lives you have the higher the bonus. Around 250 per life. I can go to around sector 15 without dying, but then around the mid teens the ships are going into some sort of circle patern. Sometimes they are unavoidable if you don't kill on first chance. They'll sweep you right off the board, no where to run or no way to shoot once they are so low.

It's probably helpful if you haven't ever played this game before to start on the B level sector 1 and learn how the different enemies react. The difficultly steps up gradually from the start of the game, even into the mid teens. I don't know all the names, but new enemies are introduced every so many sectors. Starting at sector 8 most are already in full swing, so it may be hard to know how each are going to react and how you need to fend off and mount your counter.

(video game addict)
Tips:
1) The single most important thing is learning to move your ship in rapid successions of taps (just one grid over) instead of trying to move several grids at a time. 90% of this game is avoiding enemies not shooting them. The manual talks about this briefly. Play defensively.

2) Thou MUST learn to identify the yellow rejuvenators early so as not to shoot them. Don't sit in one spot and wait for it to drop on you or you'll be blocked. Spot it, move away from it, and then at the last second move back under it.

3) Thou MUST become skilled at torpedoing the big saucer at the end of the round. If you've got 3 or 4 ships left, it gives you some BIG bonus points. Use a "move and shoot" technique like you do to get under the rejuvenators so you won't be blocked.

4) Generally try to stay out of the corners, they are deadly.

5) When in doubt..... Torpedo If you get yourself locked into a corner, you can use a torpedo to blast your way out.

(Blackjack)
-Be patient. You're not under any time limit of any kind, so don't put your ship in jeopardy just to nail the last saucer. Wait untill it's safe.

-The chirper ships won't attack you, but they can provide a few extra points if shot.

-If you see the Green Bouncer Ship, you can move safely to a row which it just bounced in, since it works its way across the screen.

-The Blue Charger Ships can be deflected with a shot, but don't confuse them for a Rejuvenator!

-Be careful in the later levels, as the saucers will sometimes try to ram your ship instead of just shooting it!

(LarcenTyler)
1. Patience. Yes, I know its a fast paced game with all kinds of crap coming at you, but don't simply move from line to line. Stick with a line for a second, only move if something is directly threatening you. You'll get more shots off, and you'll hit more goodies, plus you'll avoid blindly stumbling into trouble. Patience on the grid.

2. in the middle teen rounds, the enemy ships (white ones) will start to dive bomb you. Excellent. This is a great way to pick up a lot of points and clear the middle teen rounds really fast. I have cleared level 16 in about 45 seconds thanks to this.

3. Shoot everything. I know everyone is panicked about destroying the extra men, but the extra lives don't usually show until late in a Sector, I usually have under 10 ships left to blast before it shows, sometimes as few as 1. So early on, FIRE AT EVERYTHING CONSTANTLY. You stand a better chance of hitting more ships early, hitting those gold diamond things, and it does not hurt to shoot unkillable enemies anyway!

4. Shifters, those little orange bastards that dive bomb you, but can switch lines at any time. Make them shift early and often. When they first appear they generally only shift once and only if you are close, so make them shift as soon as they appear on the grid. In later Sectors, you'll have to be more creative as they start shifting more, but the same general rules apply. Make them shift, don't let them shift.

5. Those green star jobbies are ALWAYS gunning for you. Be aware of them, they will seek you out and try to ram you. Watch for them and plan your movements accordingly. They are the single biggest threat to your game.

6. Squatters, those little green ships that sit on the end of the beam. NEVER let them reach the end of the beam. As soon as they appear, gun them. The only acceptable place to allow one to hit is on the side, but they are far more frequent in the middle. If a Squatter strands you in a corner, you are done.

(StanJr)
Here are a few more observations, they may be a bit late, but maybe someone can use them:

1. Shifters: Stay on the line with them as long as you can. They seem to gravitate to your movement more than your simple existence. If you move, they move. So stick with them as long as you can, then move at the last minute, letting them sweep by. If you do get chased by one, be extremely careful. Late in the game, these become the worst enemy in the game. Try to out-manuever it by doubling back from a corner, fast. It doesn't always work, but you'll shake off more than you will hit. I've had one Shifter chase me from one side of the grid, to the other, and back again! (He killed me). :)

2. The Custodians (green balls that methodically move across the grid, beam to beam) do not travel all the way to the end of each beam, like the green star jobbies, asteroids, etc. Instead, the bounce just above your ship. This means you can slide out from under them at the last second, or better yet, slide onto the beam they are vacating just after they bounce. This can get you out of some tight spots.

3. The extra life is too important, don't be like me and get so trigger happy that you shoot the last enemy ship before it appears. I've missed several lives by ending a sector TOO early. Wait for it.

4. Make the center beam home. Most of the action comes down the center beam. If you treat this as home base and return there as often as possible, you'll hit more ships (of course, you'll also draw more fire, but deal). The center beam and the two adjacent beams are where you should be doing most of your killing (Marty McFly wrote: I do my killin' after breakfast. ;) )

5. Those gold screaming diamonds are well worth shooting. I know things get busy on the grid, but if you see one, shoot it. You'll quickly advance your score total for the round and the added kick really helps. Don't go out of your way to hit one, but if you have the shot, take it.

6. Sector 20+ When things get really crazy in these Sectors, be careful, enemy ships and shifters can ram you at the last possible minute from one or two beams away. They tend to shift right into you at the last possible second, as opposed to passing on by. Get away from them, if you can. (This seems to be what ends my game more often than not). Other than that, all bets are off after Sector 20.

(StanJr)

Sorry for the delay on this week's game guys, I lost track of time and thought Enduro was still going on! In fact, I was just about to post my score when I finally realized I was overdue on posting this week's game! :o

Anyways, enjoy Beamrider guys! And in case I messed up anything, let me know... it's been a while since I did this. Huge thanks to keilbaca for taking over for me while I was gone, he did an excellent job!

--Zero

First efforts as well, I'll put in a better one later. This was my first time ever playing.

1ggo7k

Note, we are playing this game on expert, so you start on Level 8.

I'm glad that everyone liked my pick of the game, although I'm scared that people are already doing better than me... looks like I got some work to do.

Okay.. I just read the Beamrider scanned manual. It says left difficulty a = advanced,  b =  basic. I have it on advanced and it starts at level 1.

That's strange, mine starts at lvl 8... all i do is turn on expert, turn on beamrider and play. Strange indeed...

Stan, you start on sector 1 or 8 to attain that score?

If I hit all the bonus items & mothership thingy at end of rounds, I'm lucky to see 4K per sector Is it even possible to be at 32K after only 6 sectors? What am I missing here? Are there secret bonus points for using two of the torpedo blasts during rounds to hit asteroids or something?

I can however get up to around 15K by the start of sector 8, and then be in that 30k+ range once I'm at 13

Starting at sector 8 though, I'm not even getting 10K yet, I've made sector 13 a few times, but my best score thus far, after playing for the first time in a ages is a measly 9700 :(

I did play one game from start at 1, up to 11, for around 22K

post-43-1106718901_thumb.jpg