IGNORED

The Mindlink Controller

Ze_ro

This thing always seems amazing to me. I know it doesn't really read your thoughts... but it still seems way ahead of it's time, and nothing like it has really been made since then (VR is about the closest I've seen).

I'd love to try one of these things if I got the chance, but I've read they you'll have a headache after about 5-10 minutes of using it. Has anyone here actually tried one of these things? I'm a little skeptical about how well it actually controls things, but I still think it's cool.

Also, does anyone know how this thing really works? I know it senses when you contract various muscles in your forehead... but how does it manage this? Does it just strap electrodes to your head, and measure an EMG signal from your eyebrows? I've actually dealt with EMG signals in university, so I'm guessing this thing needs a hefty amount of batteries (or an AC adaptor) to amplify the signal to a usable level. Also, how do you manage to control things with your eyebrows anyways? I mean, left and right make sense... but what would you do for up, down, and button presses? Or were left/right the only possibilities? It would work for Bionic Breakthrough and Telepathy...

I'd like to see someone play Decathlon with this

--Zero

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

Also, does anyone know how this thing really works? I know it senses when you contract various muscles in your forehead... but how does it manage this? Does it just strap electrodes to your head, and measure an EMG signal from your eyebrows?

I happen to have a very early prototype version of a Mindlink controller. There are indeed electrodes on the band, three metal (copper?) plates. Unfortunately, I only have a transmitter, not a receiver, so I cannot try it out. The transmitter takes a 9V battery or a power supply, but I guess that would take away the feeling of 'free mobility'

Cheers,

Marco

I would be angry if i only had the transmitter, in fact i KINDA know what i would feel like cause i bought a SNES superscope, i was really excited cause it was the first one i ever seen. so i buy this, only to find out it needs the reciever, but that was the only SNES thing there! i was so angry! eventually i found it a month or so later, but i still cant use it cause i dont have any games for it!, ill just buy me a copy of metal combat or whatever it is.

quote:

Originally posted by Marco:

I happen to have a very early prototype version of a Mindlink controller. There are indeed electrodes on the band, three metal (copper?) plates. Unfortunately, I only have a transmitter, not a receiver, so I cannot try it out. The transmitter takes a 9V battery or a power supply, but I guess that would take away the feeling of 'free mobility'

Cheers,

Marco

HI Marco,

WOW!! i did not know you had this!!! can you post a scan of it? (ok... what else do you have that i don't know about)

Rick

quote:

Originally posted my Marco

PS: Rick is now the lucky owner of that Atari Store Display Unit [/QB]

YES.. can't wait to get it!!!

"Lucky" is a good term to use it should be yours!!!

real sorry...Marco

ebay item 1309688672 (sorry tried to give link won't work)

Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Ze_ro:

While we're on the topic... I don't recall seeing the Mindlink controller in the controller section for the 2600 on AtariAge...

We only have released hardware right now in the controller section. We'll be adding more hardware in the future, including many of the weird, oddball prototype hardware products that Atari produced over the years.

Here are two pictures of the Mindlink controller and receiver I took at the Classic Gaming Expo this year:

Mindlink1.jpg

Mindlink2.jpg

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by rick weis:

WOW!! i did not know you had this!!! can you post a scan of it? (ok... what else do you have that i don't know about)

Heheh, I thought I had told you about it. I will try to make a scan later on, I'm too busy getting this year's work done right now. Don't expect too much though, this really is an early version. It does not look like the cool silver controller we know from the Atari ads...

Cheers,

Marco

PS: Rick is now the lucky owner of that Atari Store Display Unit