IGNORED

Reusing Kernels

~llama

Hi there!

I find that "metaprogramming" things before I actually write any code helps me, but... how do the pros design their kernels?

Hm... I usually just start with a simple sample kernel that already displays anything and then just "add" things, one after another. While I'm thinking about a general "strategy" first, I don't work it out on paper. With a good emulator like Z26 I can try a dozen different things in a minute, so I prefer that. The final result is a mixture then of 50% experience and 50% try and error I guess.

I found it best to start with the hardest part of the display. If you need an anti-flicker engine with repositioning, work that out first. If you need a complex playfield, start with that. If you want 24 pixel wide sprites do those first.

Greetings,

Manuel

Thanks. I've always wondered whether it was better to draw everything out and get it planned before I started coding or to just... sit down and start hacking and then get everything working. I guess the best way is the latter.

I think i fixed my Berzerk problem, I'll post a new binary later.