IGNORED

building a Galaga/MS.Pacman Minicab

dgo

That looks nothing short of fantastic! Hope your new encoder shows up soon so you can play it!

Stingray: That sounds pretty promising. What coindoor are we talking about exactly?

They're commonly called Over/Under doors, but I belive they are actually manufactured by Coin Controls.

79_1_b.JPG

Just talking about using the top door. Obviously you'd have to remove the bottom portion of the frame with a dremel and repaint it, but I think it would look pretty neat.

-S

Right, thanks. This might be a possibility further down the road. For the moment I'm quite happy with the front.

My Ultimarc stuff is underway so I'll be sorted out next week with a bit of luck. All I want to do for now is think about a small piece of sideart which then should be printed on sticky vinyl or something.

I'm thinking about having it printed by http://www.mamemarquees.com/ any experience with those guys?

Today I tried hooking up the on board audio to my home amplifier so I can use the cab as a jukebox as well. The ground hum is terrible though, even using grounded plugs. Probably the monitor or powersupply being so close to the Motherboard. Anyone got some thoughts on that?

well' date=' if it's going to be, it won't be made of an empty shoebox that's for sure[/quote']

That's good to hear! I'm actually surprised that everyone (here and elsewhere) has been talking about making Galaga and Pac games using the Jakks unit but not Pong or Warloards!

• 6 months later...

I updated all the pics in this topic while they where pointing to files

no longer on my webspace.

I just love the pic attachment option since the last AA change!

Also, here's two pics taken on the last Retro day in the Netherlands where the

cab's been. It shows the different joystick I installed (better proportions). The I-Pac keyboard encoder I now use instead of the X-arcade junk works like a charm!

(pics bij Mr-Atari)

post-5118-1127342021_thumb.jpg

post-5118-1127342058_thumb.jpg

Edited by dgo

Yeah,  I did something similar a few months back, here is a micro-cab I built that I'm going to mount a 4" LCD into with the Jakks Pac Man system inside:

post-23-1128031577_thumb.jpg

This is the 2/3 sized cab top that I built, I'm going to build the bottom portion later:

post-23-1128031671_thumb.jpg

Curt

940084[/snapback]

very cool!

What will you use for joystick for the 4" ?

I've been thinking about making something that size as well, but I never found controls suitable for something that small.

I'm also interested in the picture quality of that display... please post your findings!

(and your results of course !)

O yes, that looks like it could be very well suited for this use!

And yes, if you get this to work it'll be definately worth the effort!

For the top drilling out a nice marble could do the job.

All you need now are micro buttons, did you find those?

My hands start itching again!

good luck!

ps

do you already have the 4" screen? I'm really interested to know if the picture quality is useable...

I picked up an off-brand 4" TV LCD monitor off of Ebay for $60 a while back, its perfect for the project.

Curt

O yes, that looks like it could be very well suited for this use!

And yes, if you get this to work it'll be definately worth the effort!

For the top drilling out a nice marble could do the job.

All you need now are micro buttons, did you find those?

My hands start itching again!

good luck!

ps

do you already have the 4" screen? I'm really interested to know if the picture quality is useable...

943809[/snapback]

• 5 weeks later...

I saw Pepijn's work of art irl. It is a beauty.

It gave my Mame plans a boost. A 50% Galaga cabinet!

See things in progress here: http://www.vectrex.nl/mame.html

It takes quite some time but step by step it's progressing.

I think it will take another week before i can paint it and connect the hardware.

well, if it's going to be, it won't be made of an empty shoebox that's for sure

That's good to hear! I'm actually surprised that everyone (here and elsewhere) has been talking about making Galaga and Pac games using the Jakks unit but not Pong or Warloards!

815882[/snapback]

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I'd love a warlords :lust: :lust:

If I do it though, somehow I'd need to find a way to make it 4 players. If its not possible however, no big deal, 2 players is enough.