IGNORED

Miner 2049er and BBSB to be re-released!

classics

That is going to be sweet to see! I'm glad to see this classic software programmer hasn't completely forgotten about his fans. Most great game programmers barely seem to be able to remember most of what went on back then. But Bill Hogue is taking an active role again, just to make us 5200 users happy. I wish there were more like him.

So is it time to start bugging him about Scraper Caper yet?

According to his interview, Scraper Caper no longer exists. He threw out everything except a demo video years ago.

If hes coding again, perhaps we can encourage him to rewrite it? :)

I'm sure he will sell a TON of his BBSB re-release, even more if he goes all out with box and manuals.

Steve

Great interview, thanks for sharing the link! Here's the paragraph in the interview where he talks about the upcoming cartridge release of Miner 2049'er and Bounty Bob Strikes Back:

I've been working on a new cartridge for the 5200 that will combine both Miner and Bounty Bob. The cartridge starts at a selection screen with Bounty Bob sitting in a cannon. You'll move the cannon left and right to aim Bounty Bob at either the logo for Miner or the sign for BBSB and then you'll "fire" him into that game. I haven't decided what will happen if you miss both games! So be on the lookout for more information about this exciting project on my www.bigfivesoftware.com website over the next several months.

Very cool!

..Al

• Like 1

I'd be happy to just get my hands on a copy of Bounty Bob....

Now that you mention it, BBSB is the last cart I need to complete my 5200 collection. I do have the 8-bit version, which I think I paid nearly $100 for a few years ago on eBay (and it's the version I played a long time ago when the game was released).

..Al

I'd be happy to just get my hands on a copy of Bounty Bob....

Now that you mention it, BBSB is the last cart I need to complete my 5200 collection. I do have the 8-bit version, which I think I paid nearly $100 for a few years ago on eBay (and it's the version I played a long time ago when the game was released).

..Al

I like the 8bit version more than the 5200 version myself because you can use a 2600 controller and a keyboard to play. BBSB requires very tight controls and was never well suited for the 5200's stock controllers.

I'm looking forward to this re-release. I can't wait!!! :D

I like the 8bit version more than the 5200 version myself because you can use a 2600 controller and a keyboard to play.  BBSB requires very tight controls and was never well suited for the 5200's stock controllers.

I agree, I've never tried BBSB on the 5200 (since I don't even own it), but I can't imagine using the stock controllers and being anything but aggravated. Plays great with the 2600 sticks, though. You could use a Redemption on the 5200 though and play it with 2600 sticks then. ;)

..Al

You could use a Redemption on the 5200 though and play it with 2600 sticks then.  ;)

..Al

I'm sure it would probably work very well, especially using a GIM Fire Command. I never had a chance to try it out on the 5200. I sold my copies of BBSB before picking up a Masterplay Interface.

I'm going to pick up a PC redemption soon. I have some great PC controllers I'd love to test out on a 5200.

I wish someone would make redemptions for the Intellivision and Colecovision. Both are great systems with bad controllers.

I like the 8bit version more than the 5200 version myself because you can use a 2600 controller and a keyboard to play.  BBSB requires very tight controls and was never well suited for the 5200's stock controllers.

I agree, I've never tried BBSB on the 5200 (since I don't even own it), but I can't imagine using the stock controllers and being anything but aggravated. Plays great with the 2600 sticks, though. You could use a Redemption on the 5200 though and play it with 2600 sticks then. ;)

..Al

True, but what about the elevator level(s). How do you push 1,2, or 3 ? I have a masterplay and it is a pure bitch having to reach for the keys. I imagine its not much easier reaching for the keys on the 8bit either?

Practice a little...it's not so bad with the 5200 controllers. ;)

You could use a Redemption on the 5200 though and play it with 2600 sticks then.  ;)

..Al

I'm sure it would probably work very well, especially using a GIM Fire Command. I never had a chance to try it out on the 5200. I sold my copies of BBSB before picking up a Masterplay Interface.

I'm going to pick up a PC redemption soon. I have some great PC controllers I'd love to test out on a 5200.

I wish someone would make redemptions for the Intellivision and Colecovision. Both are great systems with bad controllers.

Would that work with the Inty? It has hard-wired controllers unless its an Inty 2.

True,  but what about the elevator level(s).  How do you push 1,2, or 3 ?  I have a masterplay and it is a pure bitch having to reach for the keys.  I imagine its not much easier reaching for the keys on the 8bit either?

Practice a little...it's not so bad with the 5200 controllers.   ;)

Good point, I forgot about those. I have a Wico keypad sot hat's not too bad, but not as convenient as having them as part of the controller you're holding in your hand. However, you are not going to sell me that 5200 controllers aren't that bad for this type of game. :D

..Al

Would that work with the Inty? It has hard-wired controllers unless its an Inty 2.

Inty-1 controllers are removable, it's just that you have to take the console case off to do it, maybe a trained surgeon with instruments could reach them :)

I've played BBSB with a genesis adapter and a keyboard but usually stick to Miner 2049er which is hard enough for me.

However, you are not going to sell me that 5200 controllers aren't that bad for this type of game. :D  

..Al

I understand. Some people just aren't cut out to play videogames.

It's a curse really. :P

Haha.. I am partial to the 8-bit computers, since that's what I had when I was younger, and that's what I used to originally play BBSB from start to finish. It wasn't until much later that I had an opportunity to play the 5200 and experience the wonder that Atari engineered into it. ;)

..Al

Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the posts by 8bitdomain earlier?  He was trying to get BBSB going for future sale on multicarts or something along them lines. Are they teaming up possibly?

Although I don't know for sure, I doubt it. It just seems to me that Bill would want complete control of his games.

Allan

I wish someone would make a Redemption unit that would accept Jaguar controllers. That way, I could have a keypad and a digital control pad. I'm not much for D-pads instead of joysticks, but it's better than the stock 5200 analog sticks.

I do agree that a Jaguar version of the Redemption would be quite spiffy. I've always liked the Jaguar controllers and think they would be a great way to enjoy the majority of 5200 games. :) No plans anytime soon to make such a version, though.

..Al