IGNORED

Atari 8-bit cart values

Zonie

Anybody know of a good source for 8-bit cart values? I came across some today and the seller couldn't figure out what they were worth. None of the available (to him) had values for them. I don't want to pay more for something based on a 5200 or 2600 price, as 488/800 stuff has been pretty cheap lately, but I don't want to rob him either. I just want a fair price.

I found:

Beamrider (is it good?)

Return of the Jedi (looks good)

James Bond 007 (???)

Adventure creator (or something like that)

Also, need a good source for Commodore 64 game values.

Thanks.

The value of a particular 8-bit cart is difficult to determine.

On eBay, you can find that a cart sells for $5 one week, and $50 the next.

Rarity is less difficult to determine, but isn't a great predictor of value. There is some correlation, though.

There are several rarity scales on the web. Atarimania has rarity values for most games (although they are for complete games).

There are 300+ carts for the 8bit. Only about 200 are games. Of those the 80-20 rule applies. 150 or more are easy to obtain and under $15 for a loose cart. About 40 titles are scarce. None of the ones you mention are in the rare group. Beamrider may go closer to $15, while K-razy titles are in the lower range. However, as Deathtrap indicates, anything can happen on eBay.

There have been attempts to produce price guides. Probably the best known is digitalpress.

The problem is that, particularly on ebay, prices are very volatile. If you happen to have two collectors who both want the same game very badly then you can have a ridiculous price (witness recent-ish auctions for the disk game Alley Cat). At other times, very rare games can be sold for next to nothing.

By all means have a look at DP, but don't treat it as gospel. For example, they have 8-bit Espial as a rarity 6 with a value of $30 (I'll take 50, thanks!). Looking at completed ebay auctions is one way of finding out what's in demand and what's not, although you have to do that for quite a while before you can get a true picture.

I like Callipygous' "80-20" model though. That sounds about right.

Another problem with Digitalpress is how often the price/rarity guide is updated. They still have Tengen Tetris at $45, but I haven't seen it go for $30 (loose) in a really long time on ebay. I love DP though, it's the best resource for all classic video games outside of Atari ;)

On a related note, I wonder if we'll ever see the end of the boxed/sealed XE games that are always on eBay. I'd like to have a complete set of those, but I keep waiting for a good deal to come along :D

On a related note, I wonder if we'll ever see the end of the boxed/sealed XE games that are always on eBay. I'd like to have a complete set of those, but I keep waiting for a good deal to come along  :D

I have never seen a complete lot of minty XEGS releases, and doubt we'll see one on eBay. I certainly have never seen NIB "Karateka" or "Crystal Castles" titles offered up for auction -- and they're just too valuable to be thrown in with larger lots of commons. :)

Karateka, Mario Bros, Crystal Castles, Choplifter, and Summer Games are REALLY difficult to find boxed (Thunder Fox and Crime Busters used to be, but a few of those have turned up lately). I'm personally still missing Karateka.

Tempest