IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 7: Pac-Man

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

There's nothing our hero likes better than wandering around Mazeland, eating video wafers along the way! Those pesky ghosts are always on his back, but you can turn the tables on them if you manage to catch a power pill. And don't forget to keep an eye out for the vitamin, because this week's game is Pac-Man!

Game Information
Released By Atari
Left Difficulty A / Expert: Short Power Pill/Vitamin Duration
Right Difficulty Not applicable
Game Mode Game 6 - Fast Pac-Man, Running Ghosts
Chosen By Gamemaster_ca_2003

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, March 7th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be Stingray! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you don't have this game, you can find a copy of the rom right here.

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a reply saying so, and I'll add you to the list!

High Scores
[*]silverfuji.gif69,103 (Dones) [+10]
[*]bronzefuji.gif50,050 (keilbaca) [+9]
[*]6813 (Fellow Atari Man) [+8]
[*]6578 (Osbo) [+7]
[*]6195 (chrisbid) [+6]
[*]5757 (Malc74) [+5]
[*]5628 (chubsta) [+4]
[*]4970 (Blackjack) [+3]
[*]3666 (Philflound) [+2]
[*]3429 (Robert M) [+1]
[*]3315 (Voch) [+1]
[*]3224 (gospeedde) [+1]
[*]2837 (Goochman) [+1]
[*]2823 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
[*]2701 (Keir) [+1]
[*]2681 (pitfallaimee) [+1]
[*]2111 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
[*]1914 (awsomo3000) [+1]
[*]1306 (Gamemaster_ca_2003) [+1]
[*]1218 (Christophero Sly) [+1]
[*]1149 (128bytes) [+1]
[*]781 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]:
(Game 6, Diff. A)
125,002 (Ron Corcoran)
[*]101,051 (Todd Rogers)

Best Tips:

Beat the Champ (Get Double Points!)

Bounties and Challenges
None yet
[*]To post a bounty, PM me with the details

Score Statistics
Average Score: 11,347
[*]Std. Deviation: 21,232
[*]Total Score: 260,987

Current Standings
[*]StanJr [57]
[*]sku_u [29]
[*]racer raul [29]
[*]KaeruYojimbo [26]
[*]video game addict [22]
[*]Christophero Sly [21]
[*]Osbo [16]
[*]yuppicide [15]
[*]Blackjack [14]
[*]candiru [14]
[*]LarcenTyler [14]
[*]Cybergoth [14]
[*]cvga [13]
[*]Malc74 [13]
[*]Keir [12]
[*]gospeedde [11]
[*]chubsta [11]
[*]chrisbid [11]
[*]Philflound [10]
[*]Dones [10]
[*]Robert M [9]
[*]Numan [8]
[*]vdub_bobby [7]
[*]pitfallaimee [7]
[*]Goochman [7]
[*]adams_ale [6]
[*]Dan Iacovelli [6]
[*]Fellow Atari Man [4]
[*]BydoEmpire [3]
[*]kemsted [3]
[*]Gamemaster_ca_2003 [3]
[*]mikeftrevino [2]
[*]128bytes [1]
[*]Chris++ [1]
[*]madbutscher [1]
[*]Scooterb23 [1]
[*]bjk7382 [1]
[*]Stingray [1]
[*]iguana [1]
[*]khryssun [1]
[*]Gateway [1]
Standings are current as of the beginning of this week, and do NOT include
points from this week's game. If you think there has been a mistake in
any of the scoring, please contact me.

Member List
Stingray, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, Robert M, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Gateway, gospeedde, KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch

Scoring Points in Pac-ManVideo Wafer: 1 point
[*]Power Pill: 5 points
[*]Vitamins: 100 points
[*]First Ghost: 20 points
[*]Second Ghost: 40 points
[*]Third Ghost: 80 points
[*]Fourth Ghost: 160 points - Yes, after 99,999

Hints and Tips
As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, then you can always check out this typed copy of the manual hosted right here at AtariAge.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, here's the hints that it provides:
When all of the ghosts are hiding on top of each other, eat a Power Pill and then you can gobble all four ghosts in one big bite and score 300 points.
[*]Try to eat as many Video Wafers as possible before eating a Power Pill. This will save the Power Pill until you really need it.
[*]Before you eat a Power Pill, stay in the corner close to it so you can tease the ghosts into moving closer to you, thus allowing you to eat more ghosts with one Power Pill.
[*]Use the top and bottom openings in the maze like a tunnel to outsmart the ghosts. Slip in or out of the openings to escape hungry ghosts.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

(The Manual)
A few tips:

*If you're playing the real version with a joystick, place it on a flat surface for better control and move the joystick in the direction you wish to go next before you come to that intersection in the maze.

*If you're playing the emulated version on a keyboard, the same applies: push the directional keys in the direction you want to go next so you can make your turns faster.

*As long as you don't see Pac-Man actually touching a ghost in the tunnel, you won't die, so don't panic and try not to touch the ghost(s) on your way out.

*If you are in a corner with a Power Pill, and it turns out that a ghost coming after you isn't a threat after all (i. e. you're in the top lane next to the Power Pill, and the ghost decides to duck into the lane below you), then hightail it over to the other side of the maze if there's still Video Wafers left to eat, which will help clear out more of the board.

*Keep the one or two Wafers right next to Pac-Man (where you begin every screen) uneaten; in case you die, and those are the only ones left on the screen, you'll easily, safely complete that level. (This has come in handy for me before!)

(Fellow Atari Man)
The real points are in getting all the ghosts at once - make this the priority for the first couple of levels as the ghosts soon get almost too quick to catch on level 3. They are pretty easy to outwit so just hang around a corner until they gather near you and then go get them. You should then have enough time to clear out a fair number of wafers before waiting by the next powerpill.
On level 3 onwards (i presume because i have only got to level 4!) just use the powerpills to get out of trouble - you waste too much time chasing the ghosts and they can almost match your speed so its no good chasing one around when you could be getting wafers. (chubsta)
As far as I have been able to get in Pac-Man, I have been able, at the start of a new life, been able to go left, then up, then around the box that holds the legendary "ghost quartet". This can come in very handy if the power pill is available just as you are starting a new life. (128bytes)
Tip #1: Try early on to clean the dots around the ghost house. It's easier to finish the level on the outside than the inside.

Tip #2: Try to eat all 4 ghosts at once. Someone mentioned this, but it puts all of them in the house and gives you free reign of the board for a few seconds to clean up some dots.

Tip #3: Use the tunnel. I haven't seen any ghosts go through the tunnel, so if I'm getting chased continuously, I hide in the tunnel. This is good because you can lure the ghosts towards one end, zip through the tunnel, and clean up some on the other side.

Tip #4: Except for maybe the 1st two boards, ignore the multi-vitamin. 100 points is nice, but not worth dying. Referring to tip #1, the inside area is the most dangerous.

Tip #5: Watch when to eat a power pill. This refers to when you are luring ghosts to eat them. If you wait too long, even though you think you ate the power pill in time, you will die if the ghost is coming in on the other side of the power pill.

Tip #6: Try to leave 2 of the power pills for emergencies. I like to clean up the middle early, use one side to get power pills and eat 4 of the ghosts if I can, then play hide in the tunnel. The other 2 power pills I save to help clean the board instead of chasing down ghosts. If you can get a couple of ghosts too, consider it a bonus.

(Philflound)
Here is a crude map of the ghost paths once you have eaten the power pellet. They ALWAYS act like this. The paths start assuming that the ghosts are in the boxes with or near you when you eat the pellet. (If they are not, they will fall into the pattern at the closest possible point). Basically, they are trying to get to the other side of the board, but they usually only get to the middle before the power pellet wears off.

The green "x's" are perfect places to sit and let the ghosts come to you to be gobbled up. No effort on your part, just sit and eat. If you get them to chase you right, you can get all 4 almost every time.

Flip the map patterns for when you are on the left side of the screen. :)

pacman-stanjr-paths.jpg

(StanJr)

It's amazing to think that Tod Frye hated Pac-Man, and decided to do a sloppy job just so he could get his paycheck. I wonder if he regrets what he did now?

Still, there are people who liked this version nonetheless. I remember my mother telling me about the time she stayed up late one evening playing it, and turning over the score at least once.

Nonetheless, here's my first score.

post-1653-1109698518_thumb.jpg

It's amazing to think that Tod Frye hated Pac-Man, and decided to do a sloppy job just so he could get his paycheck.  I wonder if he regrets what he did now?

I always thought he did a slopyjob because he was rushed...

Ahh yes, the all-time classic Pac Man. I remember when this first came out. My friend Joey, who was the one that had the Atari with all the games, got this the day it came out and I couldn't WAIT to play it. Sure, the translation wasn't great, and we wondered why the doors were at the top and bottom instead of the sides, but we didn't care. We had Pac-Man, and it was still a LOT of fun. I can't wait to give this a try to see how far I can get.

Boy, how pissed off at the HSC did the person who picked this have to BE? :P (Funny how I mentioned Pac-Man with the last HSC game, and now here it is!) Interesting, I hadn't played this variation before with difficulty a...

A few tips:

*Eat as many Video Wafers as you can before going for the Power Pills, since you'll have less to clean up later, plus a lot of the time the ghosts don't really chase you anyway.

*If you're playing the real version with a joystick, place it on a flat surface for better control and move the joystick in the direction you wish to go next before you come to that intersection in the maze.

*If you're playing the emulated version on a keyboard, the same applies: push the directional keys in the direction you want to go next so you can make your turns faster.

*As long as you don't see Pac-Man actually touching a ghost in the tunnel, you won't die, so don't panic and try not to touch the ghost(s) on your way out.

I'll put up a score later.

Game of my life (this is what happens when I get a day off from work!). The real challenge is the speed of the ghosts, especially on this game variation and difficulty (the manual calls it the "Challenge" variation!). I'm 1/4 of the way to developing a working pattern for the top ghost speed. I think the weakest part of this whole game is not the graphics, or the sound, or the horrid collision detection, its the sad and utterly predictable ghost AI. When you eat a power pellet, they ALWAYS do EXACLTY the same thing in EXACTLY the same way. It is way too easy to eat all four with every pellet if you know when to eat it and where to sit on the screen.

Ah well. Doesn't mean this game doesn't kick my ass on a regular basis, because man those ghosts are fast, and thanks to the collision detection there is no cornering or near-miss manuevering.

I'll not do better than this, I can tell you!

post-409-1109713686_thumb.jpg

From what I remember, the score rolls back to zero. It doesn't freeze just so everyone knows. It flips at 99,999 IIRC. It's been a long time since I've done it.

I'll sit this week out. I really can't bring myself to playing this one for an entire hour+ again. :wink:

NOTE TO ZERO: ignore the first tip on my previous post, it was already in the "tips from the manual" part of the first post. Sorry about that (no (*#! edit button).

Anyway...

Boy, how pissed off at the HSC did the person who picked this have to BE? :P

Actualy I was not PO with anybody I just wanted people to try this game again.

Yo, I was mostly kidding there...note the smiley, dude :P

Anyway, a couple of more tips:

*If you are in a corner with a Power Pill, and it turns out that a ghost coming after you isn't a threat after all (i. e. you're in the top lane next to the Power Pill, and the ghost decides to duck into the lane below you), then hightail it over to the other side of the maze if there's still Video Wafers left to eat, which will help clear out more of the board.

*Keep the one or two Wafers right next to Pac-Man (where you begin every screen) uneaten; in case you die, and those are the only ones left on the screen, you'll easily, safely complete that level. (This has come in handy for me before!)