IGNORED

K-razy Antiks and my XEGS

elviticus

Sorry if this has been answered before, I searched for it but came up with nothing.

I just got K-razy antiks and have been trying to play it on my XEGS. It boots up just fine, but I can't start a game. Do I have a defective cart, or do I need to press a keyboard key (I don't have keyboard hooked up)?

Thanks for any help.

Ok, Just answered my own question... Found the 8 bit FAQ and it's listed (along with Astrochase, another I just got :( ) as incompatible.

.... But, I also read about a translator cart. Can anyone tell me how well these work? Wondering if it's worth getting one. Looks like they're around $20.

Ok, Just answered my own question...  Found the 8 bit FAQ and it's listed (along with Astrochase, another I just got  :( ) as incompatible.      

.... But, I also read about a translator cart.   Can anyone tell me how well these work?   Wondering if it's worth getting one.   Looks like they're around $20.

You're probably better off getting one of the many disk-based translator programs; a cartridge isn't going to help much if you're trying to play another cartridge game. :)

Ok, Just answered my own question...  Found the 8 bit FAQ and it's listed (along with Astrochase, another I just got  :( ) as incompatible.      

.... But, I also read about a translator cart.   Can anyone tell me how well these work?   Wondering if it's worth getting one.   Looks like they're around $20.

You're probably better off getting one of the many disk-based translator programs; a cartridge isn't going to help much if you're trying to play another cartridge game.

*edit*

Then again, I haven't used the translator cartridge myself, so perhaps it has been coded to accomodate cart-swapping. :ponder:

Man, that seems sorta dangerous to me, since the cartridge port was not intended for live insertion.

If I remember the translator cart temporarily disables the cart port while you do the switch.

As far as I know there is no way to electrically disable the cartridge port, so probably all that it is doing is disabling the feature of the XL/XE OS that compares TRIG3/GINTLK during VBI... if these don't match (ie, a cartridge was inserted or removed, your system crashes.)

I've never damaged my machine inserting a cartridge while the machine is on. With the Maxflash cartridges I've occasionally had to do this to recover from bad flashes (usually my own fault!)