IGNORED

"XYPE" pronounciation?

Snider-man

Hey gang!

Nice to see the brand name "XYPE" coming into its own as an Atari-brand label. Glad to see Manuel, Thomas and Andrew joining forces to create a new company.

However, uh, how do you pronounce the company name? I've been saying it "Zipe" (it rhymes with "stripe," with a long I sound). Am I close? Is it "Zy-pee" with two syllables? Has it been decided?

Thanks gang,

Snider-man

P.S. Look for an update at www.geocities.com/gameagain_2000/risen.html soon...

Funny, four letters and so many variations. Would be impossible in German...

For me it's only one syllable (no E) and definitely a X at the start (like in "Xy-Bot", good example Manuel).

But that doesn't matter as long as I'm not talking directly to anybody of you

Huh... I've been pronouncing it "eks-ipe", with two syllables (Like excite, but with a P). Oh well, I guess I'll be able to pronounce it proplerly now

(I wasn't even sure how to pronounce Xybots before either... perhaps they meant it to sound like "exhibits"?)

--Zero

Aaaarghhh! how can you pronounce it with one sylable AND pronounce the X. In ANY language, X (pron. EX) is a sylable on its own.

Anyway, how DO you pronounce Xybots, I assume its (fairly) similar to Zybots (with a little more 'cks' sound on the opening sylable.

this isz gettingue psilleigh

quote:

Originally posted by Rhindle The Red:

It could be "KZIPE"

Yes, that's exactly what I meant! Thanks!

The sound is some kind of click-sound coming from the back of your mouth (like in wax).

X is not always an extra syllable in German and I don't think it's in English (wax!).

But yes, it's getting very silly

In the end, it's all Manuel's fault

But it's spelled with only capital Greek letters. I'm sure these guys just started an Atari programming fraternity. So XYPE should probably be read as "chi upsilon rho epsilon".

Hmm, XP in Greek would be "chi rho". Wouldn't Americans pronounce that similar to "Cairo"? Now where have I heard that name before?

Ciao, Eckhard Stolberg

Bats?? Owls?? I always thought it was dolphins and Beluga whales. Am I in err? How DOES THIS INFORMATION GET SO CONVOLUTED!!??? It that damn internet I tell ya...Spreading all sorts of.... Oh wait...

This is an Atari forum...

Ummmm Well the Activision game dolphin is cool. I don't think they made and Atari games with Beluga Whales...Or Owls. Lots of damn bats tho:

Haunted House

Adventure

Mountain King

Ok I'm done.

quote:

Originally posted by liveinabin:

Aaaarghhh! how can you pronounce it with one sylable AND pronounce the X. In ANY language, X (pron. EX) is a sylable on its own.

Well, I was able to do it without damaging my vocal cords, so apparently it's possible

--Zero

i think you need to pronounce the 'Xy' with a guttural deep whistling sound, shouting the 'Pe' section in a kind of backwards voiced Welsh accent.

Of course, in polite company you'd have to make it sound as much like a burst of Fax noise as possible.

The true pronounciation of Xype can only be spoken by bats.

And heard by owls.

I'm sure the XP in Windows xp stands for eXPerience, and not chi rho. Or anything to do with Christ.

And as for Xype... i'm pretty sure it's pronounced Zype. But at the end of the day... who cares? Now get on with playing some Atari games or doing something useful

GazP wrote:

quote:

I'm sure the XP in Windows xp stands for eXPerience, and not chi rho. Or anything to do with Christ.

You're kidding, right? "eXPerience" is PR BS. The Cairo -> chi rho -> XP thing is almost certainly what the boys in the lab were thinking, before or after. The Christ thing is just a fun little conspiracy suggestion (not original to me mind), but this is MS we're talking about, so who knows.

Oh, and as to the whole "Xype" thing, "x" can be pronounced a variety of ways -- Ze_ro, you're thinking English even though you say "in any language". Someone's already brought up the Chinese example where it is used to phoneticize a "sh" sound; in Greek it's "chi" -- though I'm not sure if it's properly pronounced like "k" or like the "ch" in Jewish (as in "l'chaim", the toast) or German (like in "Bach"). In some African languages (possibly Swahili, and I'm pretty sure Bantu) the "X" phonetically stands for a click of some type; more commonly though you'd see a "!" to represent a click if there's only one (or one major one).

Trivia: the word "gnu" comes from Africa; the "g" is actually a click made with the tongue against the upper palate of the mouth.