IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 8: Jr. Pac-Man

Ze_ro

dumb question

the manual says there are only 4 skill levels, but there are six in the game. the default starts on level 1 with four ghosts, but if you press select then you get the first stage with only 1 ghost, then 2 ghosts, 3 ghosts, then you get level 2 (kite stage) with four ghosts, then level 3 (drum stage) with 4 ghosts.

so the obvious question is, which game are we really selecting here? should we start with the toy drum stage, since that is the most difficult?

i have to amend my statement, if you keep pushing reset, you can eventually cycle through all of the stages.  since the manual lies to us about variation numbers, well need a clarification before scores can be posted

I think we should start with the Kite level,since you get more points with the root beer or the drum...

i have to amend my statement, if you keep pushing reset, you can eventually cycle through all of the stages.  since the manual lies to us about variation numbers, well need a clarification before scores can be posted

I think we should start with the Kite level,since you get more points with the root beer or the drum...

Actually, the Tricycle level is the default start level, which is the level I've been starting on (Kite is level 2). Quick score update - 24280.

post-4591-1110343251_thumb.png

I think what skill level is meant is the one where the first prize is a drum...I think it's a typo saying "toy candy", I think it was meant to be "toy drum". But yeah, lets wait and see...

And until then, guess we'll see each other for Ms. Pac-Man in a couple of weeks, eh? :D

I guess if the Garfield game was ever released, the "yip yip yip" sound of eating the dots would have been Odie's bark :D Kind of annoying, but better than the bonkbonkbonk of the original Pac-Man.

For whatever variation we're playing, some tips:

*Try to get the dots around the ghost pen as soon as possible, due to the prize not being able to transform them into the super dots, you'll move faster in the area once it's cleared, and it's a dangerous area in general anyway.

*Learn the layout of the mazes! There's nothing worse than being stuck in a corridor where the only way out is to eat an energizer when you don't absolutely have to.

*Since the ghosts don't stay blue for very long, the energizers should be used (when possible) to try to find the prize and eat it as soon as possible.

Score to be posted once we get verification on the game :)

I've been playing the Tricycle level partly because the tricycle is the lowest point candy mentioned in the manual and secondly because it's the default level when the game starts up (just press reset and you start with the Tricycle - if you hit select it goes to the Teddy Bear levels and then the Kite).

Great. Stupid Atari not properly describing the difficulty levels... Just play on the default setting (which I guess is tricycle). Since all the other settings start at a higher difficulty, I'll just keep everyone's score.

--Zero

Ok, so just play the one that the game starts on, 4 ghosts, Tricycle.

Got it. Thanks, scores forthcoming!

I suck at this game. its too blasted hard. NO patterns for this one that I know of. I'm sure kielbaca has a suitcase full of them he'll whip out and run the table with! :x

:D :D :D :D :D

Ok, so just play the one that the game starts on, 4 ghosts, Tricycle.

Got it.  Thanks, scores forthcoming!

I suck at this game. its too blasted hard.  NO patterns for this one that I know of.  I'm sure kielbaca has a suitcase full of them he'll whip out and run the table with! :x  

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

LOL No, not yet anyways ;)

I hardly played the game, so we'll see when the time comes. When I come home from work tonight, I'll start playing this. This should be good ;)

13150 - a much better score for the 2nd game.....

although on thhe one hand the ghosts are smarter, there is so much more room to manoever and so it is actually easier to get out of a corner.....

might give this one a good go this week because i think the scores will be very high!

Oy. This game is nothing but a little bundle of frustration. I rarely make it off the first maze without losing ALL my extra lives. :x I have NEVER made it off the first maze without losing at least one. :x I can get to the third maze, but that is it.

Its going to be a fun, but frustrating week.

post-409-1110384979_thumb.jpg

This was one of the later games that I first picked up for the 2600 when I started collecting for it. After playing it for about 15 seconds, I thought, "how in the HECK did they get the 2600 do to THIS????" Tough game, but looking forward to see if I can get a decent score for this contest.

whoa stan, youve got a trippy looking pic there... have aimee paint that for her next project :D

as for this game, its a shame that this is the best looking and playing Pac man game on the VCS, because the level designs are very annoying. putting power pellets at intersections really ruins standard pac man strategies. you just cant save your power pellets unless you backtrack all the way around a particular obstacle, and in most cases you are being chased by at least one ghost so that is not an option. you end up eating your power pellets early, and the rest of the level is playing dodge em while trying to pick up random dots scattered across the board.

strangely, when i started on the kite level last night, i was able to finish that board w/o losing a life. the first board however, this seems impossible -- and noting the performance descriptions of other games so far, this isn't just me.

New score: 25640.

My tip: try to clear as many of the regular pellets before getting the power pellets and trying to eat ghosts, because you are painfully slow and just cannot catch them if you have to plow through uncleared passages to get them.

Real original tip, huh? Just realized that it's in the manual! :D