IGNORED

atari arcade conversions that were better...

PeeknPoke

While there are certainly some great ports of arcade games to the 2600, it's really difficult for me to say that any of them are better. At the time they came out there were better in that you could play them at home for free (well, after buying the cart), but it's really tough to compete with purpose-built machines that cost several thousand dollars. The 2600 could often match the gameplay (the most important aspect), it could rarely compete in the arena of graphics and sound. Not to mention the usually much better arcade controllers. And many cool details were often left out of 2600 games due to space constraints.

I'm amazed that some arcade conversions are as good as they are, such as Stargate. But I have a hard time saying any were better than their arcade counterparts.

..Al

Sure, 2600 games are pretty fun and playable, but I think they're nowhere near as challenging and exciting as the arcade versions. But then again the 2600 versions have their own little game variations and difficulty switch support, so I guess that's a small plus. But Mario Bros. and Space Invaders are way too easy. I do like the 2600 version of Pole Position though... it's playable and it looks pretty good... and I normally don't even like racing games. Centipede's pretty good too; it's pretty "arcade-accurate" with sounds and all, but it's still too easy.