IGNORED

Arcade 1984 video

Dr Galaga

I really wish arcades like that still existed.

They do, they are just in peoples basements!!! Can you imagine having that much real estate to fill for your private collection? At best, we could al hope for an empty basement to fill up. That would be amazing to actually have that sort of room and fill it up like that. Sell some nachos, put in a bar and make a nightclub out of it. I bet it would do great with our age group.

I remember arcades that "felt" like that. Very neat clip and well done. The tv wall reminds me of "Joysticks" :) Now thats another "take me back" video (just dont let the kids see it!).

Cassidy

This video made me want to cry (tears of happiness, of course)! How perfect- a perfect time capsule of the mall circa 1982-94, even down to the Michael Jackson Thriller poster in the window of the record store across the mall! We are moving soon, and this video inspired me to how I want to design my game room! Thank you so much for the link- it made my day!

I don't remember arcades being that bright. I remember them as dark, cramped spaces. The only ones that I remember that were bright were at hotels (nasty flourescent lighting) and a bar that I used to frequent when I turned 21. My friends used to worry about me because I would show up an hour-or-so early. I told them it was to play the games, but they didn't understand! :D

I really wish arcades like that still existed.

They do, they are just in peoples basements!!! Can you imagine having that much real estate to fill for your private collection? At best, we could al hope for an empty basement to fill up. That would be amazing to actually have that sort of room and fill it up like that. Sell some nachos, put in a bar and make a nightclub out of it. I bet it would do great with our age group.

I remember arcades that "felt" like that. Very neat clip and well done. The tv wall reminds me of "Joysticks" :) Now thats another "take me back" video (just dont let the kids see it!).

Cassidy

We should run an arcade. Nothing but classics, stick it in the city that has the most AA members in it.

There was a mall in Buena Park, Ca. that had an Alladin's castle that had a looooooong mirrored hallway that leaded into the arcade that had one of those multi-screen big screens that showed music videos and stuff. It was a pretty cool arcade. On popular games where people liked to watch, they would hook up other moniters and the big screen for everybody to watch.

Oh, it's a virtual arcade. That would be nice to roam around in while playing a GTA type video game on a more advanced console. I'd like to see real footage of actual arcades that existed in the 1980s. I wonder if people did that back then? Walk around places with a video camera. There are many places I'd like to see from arcades to toy stores.

That would be nice.

@ sku_u- What do you have in mind for music that best compliments that era of the arcade?

Someone already mentioned "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles. That would be a good choice. The Flying Lizards did a cover of "Money (That's What I Want)" that would also work. "Living on Video" from Trans-x is another strong candidate IMO.

It all boils down to personal taste. I detested Journey, Foreigner and all music along those lines growing up in the 80s and listened to New Wave, Punk and Hardcore. I celebrated, as did all my friends when those bands died out and celebrated again when Nirvana killed off all the watered down fluff metal that dominated the Top 40 stations in the 80s.

This was a pretty accurate depiction of the arcade I used to go to in the mall. The line of different cabinets - the cheesey neon lights, although the good games were practically in the dark along side of one wall. The music and video wall we also there.

Funny I haven't been back there since I graduated high school in '84 - I soon went to college down south - lived down there for a few years and then moved back up here. I really haven't had the need to go back to that mall, but now I have this urge to go :ponder:

Cheesy neon lights are cool though.

I don't understand why the idea of retro arcades hasn't caught on? Or has it?

The only "arcade" I remember frequenting when I was growing up was an Aladdin's Castle in the mall near me. It wasn't that great though and had mostly crappy fighting games and those Cruisin USA crap machines. Ughh.

Dude, it's Journey's Stone in Love... It's a perfect 80's tune! But like everybody says, it all comes down to taste... Some like journey some don't..

(How you couldn't I have no idea) :)

Now I need help locating a MAME video... There was one released several years ago, with the same style as this one, where the video starts out in front of a neighborhood arcade that has been closed down for years... Next your travel back to when it was open and alive with upright video games... The music they used with that one was by the STYX 'The best of times'. Anyways, if anyone knows where I can download that video again, THAT was awesome as well!.

Let me know if you've seen it or not and what you think of it if you did! - D