IGNORED

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

Spud

I have read in several articles, Jack Tramiel has the Sword hanging in his mansion...er sorry, FORTRESS.Ever see a pic of his house?, you'll see what i mean!! :-o

Another myth, they all refer to the same single "source". And that'd be the house he has a lien against.

Best evidence seems to be they were returned to Franklin Mint and melted when the contest ended. At least we know the sword actually did exist.

Why melt it? the sword was worth more intact then melted for scrap. the franklin mint is all about keepsakes, isn't it?

also the franklin still should have original plans somewhere right?

Best evidence seems to be they were returned to Franklin Mint and melted when the contest ended. At least we know the sword actually did exist.

It DID exist at one time and one of these cats here on AA (Michael) has the Golden Porridge Bowl and keeps it locked tight in a bank somewhere. I believe he even posted pics of it in a thread.

Wp

Why melt it? the sword was worth more intact then melted for scrap. the franklin mint is all about keepsakes, isn't it?

Keepsakes as in collector plates and figurines that little old ladies in trailer parks like to get, which are made "collectible" through artificial limited release runs and certificates of ownership. No different than say beanie babies were made a hot commodity for a time with that business model. It's not an actual "mint" like the US treasury or something, the company just decided to use the name to evoke that thought and it goes back to it's days doing slot machine tokens in the 60's and the little coins and medallions in the 70's. They could just as easily have been called "Franklin Collectibles".

No, it's been split apart and bought and resold so many times, there's nothing really left of the Warner era company. Just some assets that were used to reboot the company brand in 2006. No different than the current "Atari" and how it has squat, it just gets everything legacy it needs from Curt. Really, it's astonishing the way everyone always thinks companies sit on resource material from 25+ years ago, when most often in the context of the people that actually are at the company it's just another project out of many and one long moved on from.

• Like 1

It DID exist at one time and one of these cats here on AA (Michael) has the Golden Porridge Bowl and keeps it locked tight in a bank somewhere. I believe he even posted pics of it in a thread.

Wp

I know that. :P If you read what I wrote, I said that we KNOW that the sword (and the other ungiven prizes) DID exist cause photos are around of them.

But what wgungfu said is totally true and I'm still convienced that the sword and the two ungiven prizes were returned to the Franklin Mint when the contest was ended and melted.

Here's a motivational song for you to listen to as you ride to the site with your picks and shovels in the big AtariAge tour bus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3rKPA7oBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU3rKPA7oBM&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

Really, it's astonishing the way everyone always thinks companies sit on resource material from 25+ years ago, when most often in the context of the people that actually are at the company it's just another project out of many and one long moved on from.

So true. There are very few exceptions to that rule (Disney is one, but that only started in 1970 with the founding of the Disney Archives -- there's still a lot of material missing from the early years). To most companies, their history is an expense to be cut.

Oh, I get it. Well, cool -- I'm feeling really good about myself for not having taken time out of my life to read through forty-odd pages of posts about, essentially, dirt. :D

But it's a FUN 46 pages! It will enrich you, make you feel SO much better about yourself! :D

Edited by SoulBlazer

yeah it give you those additional 4 inches 'they' always mention in those daily spam-mails :D

I'll never fall for that again. They sent me a 4 inch paper-mache wiener-shaped extension and a stapler. That was 6 years ago and I'm still bleeding. Maybe it would heal up if I would take it off. Problem is that it hurt so bad going on, I know it's going to hurt 100 times worse now that the skin has grown over the staples. It has to be done, though. Here's the plan: I'll slam a door on the extension and throw myself backwards as hard as I can. Hopefully the extension will take all 30 staples with it.

• Like 1

I'll never fall for that again. They sent me a 4 inch paper-mache wiener-shaped extension and a stapler. That was 6 years ago and I'm still bleeding. Maybe it would heal up if I would take it off. Problem is that it hurt so bad going on, I know it's going to hurt 100 times worse now that the skin has grown over the staples. It has to be done, though. Here's the plan: I'll slam a door on the extension and throw myself backwards as hard as I can. Hopefully the extension will take all 30 staples with it.

see what obamacare has led us too?

Edited by raskar42

O.K. first I'm chuckling at RT's post and then I read your post and almost spit out my pizza from laughing so hard.

Wait a sec. You mean penile elongation procedures are covered? Dammit it'll never get repealed now. :rolling:

My father was actually a manager at the Franklin Mint around that time. A few years ago I asked him about the Swordquest prizes. He didn't have any memory of them, but indicated that since these were one off items it's likely that the mint didn't produce them directly but farmed the work out to one of the craftsmen they worked with in New York.

Dan