Photo

Atari's Landfill Adventures, I now have the proof it's true.

1916 replies to this topic

#1901 Random Terrain ONLINE  

Random Terrain

Visual batari Basic User

• 24,820 posts
  • Controlled Randomness
    Replay Value
    Nonlinear

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:52 AM

Please provide a citation for this.

50 bucks a piece on average sounds like Canadian prices. In the USA, a hot new game with a big name was worth almost 40 bucks. The rest were in the 20s and 30s (not counting the even cheaper games sold at places like Kay Bee, drug stores, and grocery stores). Here's a quick and dirty example:

atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=1&CurrentPage=9

#1902 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• 6,613 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 AM

50 bucks a piece on average sounds like Canadian prices. In the USA, a hot new game with a big name was worth almost 40 bucks. The rest were in the 20s and 30s (not counting the even cheaper games sold at places like Kay Bee, drug stores, and grocery stores). Here's a quick and dirty example:

atariage.com/magazines/magazine_page.html?MagazineID=1&CurrentPage=9

I agree, but I wasn't referring to the prices! ;)

#1903 freeweed ONLINE  

freeweed

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:39 AM

And that ain't how Canadian corporate taxes work.

In fact I've never heard of anything like that at all, but I don't claim to be an expert on taxation in the 60+ North American jurisdictions. Plus you Americans have all sorts of municipal/county taxes, so anything's possible. But typically stores dispose of merchandise to reclaim storage space and "get it off the books", not because of some inventory tax.

Lastly, Canadian prices weren't all that much different until the mid 80s. Believe it or not, shortly before the VCS was released, the Canuck buck (we didn't have Loonies in 1976) was actually worth more than the Greenback!

Also, this calculation is, quite frankly, insane:

nearly 800,000 carts times $50 bucks per cart works out to a nearly $4,000,000 tax bill every 3 months

That means that for $40,000,000 in inventory, you're paying a $4,000,000 tax bill. Every 3 months. Now, I'm no MBA or anything, but I find it EXTREMELY difficult to believe there's a jurisdiction that charges 10% PER QUARTER in taxes. That is 40% PER YEAR. You'd have to be in an industry with one hell of a markup to be able to survive that. Given that a lot of businesses can often hold onto product for several years - just ask Toys R Us what they're doing with a toy line sitting in their discount bin from 2 years ago, and I've occasionally seen things sit around for nearly 5 years before being heavily discounted  - they'd end up paying the value of the item several times over, when you compound things.

Sorry, but I'm calling bullshit on that entire post.

Edited by freeweed, Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 AM.

#1904 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• 6,613 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:33 AM

Hence, citation needed. There are varied tax laws, so I'll give benefit of the doubt that in some location and/or time, that could be true, but that's not the norm, and is not how taxes work for businesses. In short, normally you do inventory to determine cost of goods sold and other reasons, but not to pay taxes on held finished (or wip) goods every three months. And that's not the reason for JIT manufacturing.

So citation needed for that time and locations tax laws to determine validity, otherwise there are too many varying tax laws to say for sure either way.

Edited by Mirage, Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:35 AM.

#1905 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,232 posts

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:00 AM

Please provide a citation for this.

It's the nature of the Internet. If someone takes time out from their busy schedule to post in an online forum, then this person obviously values what he/she has to say, otherwise they wouldn't take the time to post it. The bulk of cyberspace is full of self-proclaimed experts who have fact checked their statements with due diligence so that you don't have to. Rest assured: if some random guy on the internet posts something in an online forum...

IT MUST BE TRUE!!! :P

#1906 freeweed ONLINE  

freeweed

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:31 PM

So what you're saying is, your assertion is true as well.  ;) 

#1907 fiddlepaddle OFFLINE  

fiddlepaddle

Stargunner

• 1,771 posts

Posted Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:29 PM

It's the nature of the Internet. If someone takes time out from their busy schedule to post in an online forum, then this person obviously values what he/she has to say, otherwise they wouldn't take the time to post it. The bulk of cyberspace is full of self-proclaimed experts who have fact checked their statements with due diligence so that you don't have to. Rest assured: if some random guy on the internet posts something in an online forum...

IT MUST BE TRUE!!! :P

So what you're saying is, your assertion is true as well.  ;)

Honesty is the best policy, though Trust is earned.  Apparently, faith in the confident and sincere is not enough.

The truth is out there; I want to believe.

#1908 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,232 posts

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:38 AM

Honesty is the best policy, though Trust is earned.  Apparently, faith in the confident and sincere is not enough.

The truth is out there; I want to believe.

ET is real, mann...

c_ET_Silver_front.jpg

Edited by stardust4ever, Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:38 AM.

#1909 Jinks OFFLINE  

Jinks

Stargunner

• 1,507 posts

Posted Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 PM

The cnd has been higher than the usd just a few years ago. Not just in the 70s. In the late 80s was 70 cent now its about 93 cents.
A guy from work was at pawn stars in las vegas and that old guy asked him where he was from he said saskatchewan he then said "never heard of it is it close to quebec?"Yep just 2000miles from it. He was going to say you lived that long in your life and your still a dumb old bastard.
The guy at the disney store knew about saskatchewan when I was there he said yep you guys are our best customers.

#1910 Gary from OPA OFFLINE  

Gary from OPA

Chopper Commander

• 229 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:49 PM

First trailer for ET dig documentary 'Atari: Game Over'

Despite the news that Microsoft would shut the doors on Microsoft Studios, the company are continuing production the documentary 'Atari: Game Over' and have released the first trailer at Comic-Con

Source: http://www.maxconsol...Atari-Game-Over

#1911 AtariDude OFFLINE  

AtariDude

River Patroller

• 4,260 posts
  • Playing Freedom Planet on my 27 Inch iMac

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:19 PM

I hope so. I would like to get this on either DVD or Blue_Ray depending on what it is released on. This might be the one project that Microsoft Studios releases. I wonder when it is expected to be released. Anyone know?

#1912 atari181 ONLINE  

atari181

River Patroller

• 2,223 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:42 PM

I hope so. I would like to get this on either DVD or Blue_Ray depending on what it is released on. This might be the one project that Microsoft Studios releases. I wonder when it is expected to be released. Anyone know?

At the end of the video it says this fall.

#1913 freeweed ONLINE  

freeweed

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:34 PM

And the AVGN movie was released this week. I love how some guy operating on a donation budget making a full cinematic release succeeds, while we're not sure if a mutli-billion dollar corporation can release a documentary. :P

#1914 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,232 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:08 PM

Ditto. I was also upset that Chasing Ghosts didn't get a DVD release as far as I know. I watched it on Netflix but I don't have a Netflix sub anymore. There's got to be some way to watch the landfill documentary without buying an Xbox. I'll even bootleg it if I have to... :ponder:

And the AVGN movie was released this week. I love how some guy operating on a donation budget making a full cinematic release succeeds, while we're not sure if a mutli-billion dollar corporation can release a documentary. :P

I wasn't aware it was out now. Where can I see the AVGN movie? Hopefully it comes out soon on DVD...  :D

Edited by stardust4ever, Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:10 PM.

#1915 freeweed ONLINE  

freeweed

Chopper Commander

• 169 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 PM

I wasn't aware it was out now. Where can I see the AVGN movie? Hopefully it comes out soon on DVD...  :D

http://cinemassacre....gs-on-sale-now/

It's sold out nearly everywhere, although they do keep adding showings. Digital version coming (no word on format/source) in early September. Physical copies probably a while after, not sure how long production of those takes these days.

#1916 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,232 posts

Posted Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:55 PM

http://cinemassacre....gs-on-sale-now/

It's sold out nearly everywhere, although they do keep adding showings. Digital version coming (no word on format/source) in early September. Physical copies probably a while after, not sure how long production of those takes these days.

Nothing in LA (Louisiana) so go figure. :P Hopefully they'll eventually release it on DVD as I'd much prefer a physical copy over using a streaming service.

#1917 galax OFFLINE  

galax

Star Raider

• 99 posts

Posted Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:41 AM

There is no such thing as a tax on inventory. The value of the inventory can, however, influence the cost of goods sold calculation at the end of the year, which can impact the tax paid.

Holding inventory does cost money though- depreciation, storage, insurance, shrinkage, interest on a loan to buy the inventory (or the equivalent- the opportunity cost of not being able to do something else with the money while it is tied up.

The Canadian dollar was worth more than the US at the start of 2013- not very long ago.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users