IGNORED

ColecoVision - The best is yet to come

opcode

So I am resurrecting this thread…

It’s hard to me to come back to the OM because I fear that it has became kind of a joke, with so many starts and stops, changes in the project, etc.

In fact I had completely abandoned the idea, because after all my health problems last year I became kind of “immediatist”, and the OM project looked like a very long term thing, so not something I would like to commit to.

Then a few months ago I started to read all the posts here, plus a few discussions I had, and I realized that perhaps I had been blinded for my own perfectionism and obsession and had forgotten what brought me to the homebrew scene in the first place.

All the audio and video improvements I had planned for the OM were the result of my own frustration of not being able to achieve something on the CV the way I had intended, and at the same time I had completely forgot that the challenge of dealing with such limitations were part of the fun, and exactly what first attracted me to this hobby.

Anyway, a few months ago I had this idea that I think is cool. The point is not to add new functionality to the machine but extend what is already there. Kind of confusing, I know, but let me try to explain.

With the original proposal for the OM I was trying to add functionality: new video, new sound, etc. All of that would require new software to take advantage of. And being realistic, how many games we could release a year for such a device? Maybe 3 or 4 in the very best case. So you would be paying a lot for something that would have little use in the end.

The idea behind the “new” OM is to extend the functionality you already have with your CV, or better yet, extend the fun you have with games you already own (not necessarily Opcode related). But at the same time the new OM also open the doors for new , more advanced games.

The philosophy behind the new OM is “new possibilities”. While the old OM was like “here is some new hardware, now create games for that”, the new OM is more like ”here is some new hardware, now extend it the way you like to take more advantages of the games you already have”. Fully describing of the OM hardware isn’t the same as describing all the things it could do.

So here is the hardware part of the thing:

The new OM has 4 sub-systems:

- BIOS XP

- MegaRAM and slot control

- Compact Flash interface

- PSG and I/O

Here is what each sub-system is responsible for:

- BIOS XP: this is the heart of the new system, the door for infinite possibilities (I know, that sounds like PR buls***, but believe me, it’s that cool). The BIOS XP is actually a Flash memory chip. It will replace the CV BIOS. And what is so cool about the CV BIOS? Nothing actually, in fact I completely bypass it for all my games. But there is more to the BIOS XP than just being a BIOS replacement. The BIOS XP will include a GUI that will offer a lot of cool functions, and since it is using flash memory, the GUI can be updated any time. The most obvious function of the GUI would be to allow you to load games from a Compact Flash to the CV memory and then run it. So basically you could load any of the commercially available CV games from a single CF. But there are more, much more. Things like a unified scoreboard, configurable users, in-game screenshots, game patches and much more.

- MegaRAM and slot control: The memory area mapped to the CV cartridge has been expanded in many extra “virtual slots”, all software selectable. And in one of those slots we have the MegaRAM, a huge bank of SRAM that will allow us to run any existing CV game (from the CF), as well as to create some really massive new games.

- Compact Flash interface: CF is a mass storage device with an interface similar to IDE, and thus very inexpensive to implement. The OM CF will use FAT16 and thus be compatible with any PC. From ROM images, to save games, to scoreboards, anything we can come with for the GUI can be saved here.

- PSG and I/O: It’s an AY-3-8910 PSG, the same used with the MSX computers and many other computers and arcade machines from the 80s. Luc said that the reason to have this PSG here is to make MSX ports easier. Actually the main reason is to allow more faithful ports of MSX and arcade games. The people who created the CV made a bad mistake with the CV PSG. The CV PSG isn’t bad at all, but they clocked it too high. Because of that we are limited to frequencies above 110Hz, which means that deep bass sounds can not be produced by the CV. So that is why the invaders marching sound in SIC isn’t as deep as you remembered it, or some music stuff sounds so “high” in the frequency range. The new PSG corrects that, and goes beyond what the Texas CV PSG can do, with volume envelope and better noise generator. Additionally both PSGs can be used simultaneously, and all sound is routed to the RF output (A/V mods can still work if the sound source is taken from the output of the sound mix, just before the RF input). The I/O part is a bidirectional 16 bits port. That will be used to connect a printer, which will also hold the power supply for the module….. ok, just kidding.. :P The parallel port will be used for… something cool…

So what is the status of such project? I have all the schematics done and I am just giving them a last double check before sending to the guy who will create the prototypes and then hopefully the final PCBs.

The main difference between this new OM and the older design is that I will still have a lot of work ahead with the BIOS XP, so don’t expect for it before the 2nd half of next year. After that the BIOS XP would receive updates from time to time.

All in all, I think the new OM is more in line with Coleco’s planned Super Game Module. It’s less of a CV2 and more like a CV Expanded.

Eduardo,my understanding was that you dropped out of the scene,now you're plugging possible future ColecoVision hardware? :?

Those are plans, wishes, not promises (considering none of us can foresee what is going to happen in a year or so). I hope to be around as long as I still enjoy doing that, and God gives me the health to do so...

I posted those screenshots in another thread, but I think it makes more sense here. The first screenshot is from a regular CV booting the Frontline game. The second screenshot is from a very early build of the new BIOS booting the same game.

BTW, one of the planned GUI functions is to allow the user to select from different fonts and use them with legacy games. The selected font will replace the default font in the flash BIOS, so the change will be persistent between game sessions.

post-1432-1225933427_thumb.png

post-1432-1225933432_thumb.png

Edited by opcode

I posted those screenshots in another thread, but I think it makes more sense here. The first screenshot is from a regular CV booting the Frontline game. The second screenshot is from a very early build of the new BIOS booting the same game.

So will it make a difference in game? This is all confusing technical stuff to me.

So will it make a difference in game? This is all confusing technical stuff to me.

In this specific case, no, it is just cosmetic change. But as I said in my edit, you can select from different fonts and save your selection. After that any game that uses the regular font will start to use your newly selected font (that includes all Coleco games). No need to replace your BIOS EPROM anymore.

Another configurable setting will be the opening delay, the time you need to wait till the game selection screen shows up.

Eduardo,my understanding was that you dropped out of the scene,now you're plugging possible future ColecoVision hardware? :?

Those are plans, wishes, not promises (considering none of us can foresee what is going to happen in a year or so). I hope to be around as long as I still enjoy doing that, and God gives me the health to do so...

Glad to hear it.Keep up the great work.

Does this mean your module uses a battery back-up?

This module must be something else. Does it make the CV into an MSX 2?

As for the time- folks, look at all the time it's taking me for the hardware I'm building. And Opcode's projects are far more advanced than anything I'm building. So any delay is understandable.

As for the time- folks, look at all the time it's taking me for the hardware I'm building. And Opcode's projects are far more advanced than anything I'm building. So any delay is understandable.

Hi CV Gus.

What is it you've built ?.

I have not seen or read about it.

Do you have pictures of what you have built ?. :)

Hi CV Gus.

What is it you've built ?.

I have not seen or read about it.

Do you have pictures of what you have built ?. :)

He made a light gun for the 5200.

So far, my successful hardware projects are:

1) A "regular" CV controller that converts to a 4-button (using keypad buttons 1 and 3) at the flick of a switch.

2) A digital 5200 controller.

3) A 5200 paddle controller- it has a "rocker" switch on the side for shifting gears during Pole Position.

4) The 5200 Light Gun. However, I need a simple 5200 test cartridge for the final fine-tuning, although it has passed every other test I- with my limited equipment- have given it.

My future projects are a CV light gun (much trickier), and a CV "slow-fire" module. For Looping, mainly, although it can also be good for Spectar, Mr. Do!'s Castle, and Tarzan.

Keep up the good work Eduardo & Co. :cool: :thumbsup:

Will the new Bios be plugged into the Expansions port, since we don't have to replace the U2 in our CV. ?

The new BIOS (BIOS XP) will be part of the Opgrade Module, so yes, no need to replace the BIOS inside the CV. But better yet, the BIOS XP will be upgradable, so new functions would be added any time.

4) The 5200 Light Gun. However, I need a simple 5200 test cartridge for the final fine-tuning, although it has passed every other test I- with my limited equipment- have given it.

Ok I need to buy one of these!!!! :) ;) :cool:

And please someone make NES CHILLER into a 5200 Game! :cool: :)

PLEASE!!! :D Cherrys and all the toppings!!! :D

BTW, one of the planned GUI functions is to allow the user to select from different fonts and use them with legacy games. The selected font will replace the default font in the flash BIOS, so the change will be persistent between game sessions.

Whoa, that rocks! I'd love to have that font in ColecoVision games... the system's standard Space Invaders-ish typeset does nothing for me.

Keep up the good work Eduardo & Co. :cool: :thumbsup:

Will the new Bios be plugged into the Expansions port, since we don't have to replace the U2 in our CV. ?

The new BIOS (BIOS XP) will be part of the Opgrade Module, so yes, no need to replace the BIOS inside the CV. But better yet, the BIOS XP will be upgradable, so new functions would be added any time.

:music: Sounds good to me.

I'm interested in this project.

Would it be in (2010) ?.

EDIT:

Do you have new pictures of the OM ?.

Is it a completely new designbox (smaller) ?.

Or is it still this add-on box on this image from the original plan ?.

post-9873-1226431287_thumb.jpg

I'm mega curious. :)

Edited by ten-four

Welcome back Eduardo! Glad to see you've had a change of plans! :)

I'd still love to know if there's a way to make this composite (or higher) video ready as well on the OM unit itself. Not sure it's possible, as I'm not sure what the Exp Port lines are on the Colecovision itself, but would sell me on the unit instantly! (As if I'm not gonna get one either way!)

Looking forward to updates!

Murph

• 1 month later...
Part of the schematics were sent out today, the remaining should be sent next week. I hope to see the first prototype sometime early next year. I will post pictures and screenshots here once I get it.

Can't wait to here more once more information is available. I've been excited about this for a long time....it will be great to see the long legs that the ColecoVision has!

• 3 weeks later...