IGNORED

Forum Migration Tonight!

Albert

The time has finally come for us to migrate the AtariAge Forums to new software! We're switching from phpBB, which we've been running for nearly three years, to Invision Power Board (IPB), which will bring a wide array of new functionality to the forums, as well as address some issues that have plagued the board as of late (such as removal of the Edit button).

We are importing the entire phpBB database into the new software, which means all member accounts, all posts, private messages, and attachments will make the journey to the new forum. You will be able to login with your existing username and password and dive right into the new software.

We're also moving the entire site to a new, faster server. This means that when we finally "flip the switch", some people will see the new server immediately, but for others there may be a delay of several hours before you see the new server.

Basically, this is what we're going to be doing:

At midnight tonight Central Standard Time, we'll be taking the forums down to do a complete backup of the forum database and to zip up all the attachments so they can be moved to the new server. Once this is done (will take no longer than an hour), we'll put the forums back online. Any posts made in the current forum between this time and when we switch over to the new server will NOT make the transition!

Once we have completed the import of the users and messages into the new forum and we've done any final tweaking, we'll point AtariAge.com to the new server. Again, some people will see this change quickly, for others it may be as much as a day before the new server is visible. When the new forums are live, we'll take the old forum down and provide an IP-based URL to access the new server, for those who don't see the new site right away.

I estimate we should have everything switched over before Noon on Monday. I'll post updates in this thread and keep everyone abreast of the migration. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

If you guys need a backup server for any reason during this move, let me know as I own my own server on The Planet's backbone. My Yahoo IM is in my profile

Thanks for the offer, we actually have several dedicated servers, although not at ThePlanet (but they are here in Texas, so you can probably guess where!) Everything's already setup on the new server and it's pretty much just sitting idle waiting for the clock to strike midnight in about 45 minutes.

I did look at ThePlanet recently, and may lease a server from them in the future to try them out. :)

..Al

Any ideas about what people should do while they cannot access the forums? It might help to give them a list, because without it, there might be a lot of suicides tonight. I know, I'll start the list:

Crush a bag of potato chips and suck the result up your nose. That should take a while; at least an hour.

Make a one inch high pile of salt. That might sound easy, but you have to pick up each grain with two toothpicks using only one hand (like tiny chopsticks).

Squeeze your elbows until grease oozes out.

Go to your nearest 24 hour Walmart and fart in every aisle. Try not to shart.

Pull the hair off your legs (one hair at a time) using tweezers. Do the same to your chest and don't forget to do your man-titties. No one likes hairy man-titties.

Talk to or have sex with a real live girl (one or the other, not both unless you're into that kind of thing).

Try to bend a spoon with your mind.

Go to the hospital after you get the spoon stuck in your ear.

Any ideas about what people should do while they cannot access the forums? It might help to give them a list, because without it, there might be a lot of suicides tonight. I know, I'll start the list:

The forums won't be down very long, just long enough for me to backup the database and tar up the 2.5GB of attachments. I'll then be putting the forums back online. Any new posts to this forum between then and when the new forums go online will be lost, but I think that's better than taking down the forum entirely for a period of perhaps 12 hours (although hopefully it will not take that long, but there is quite a bit to do).

..Al

Well, you know, if your new server needs a kick in the pants, I can always overclock it  ;)

It's a 2.4Ghz Dual XEON with 2GB of RAM and two fast SCSI disks. Should do the job pretty well for AtariAge. :) It's a nice jump up from the current server..

..Al

Very nice. Doesn't need overclocked (although my comp does, getting new ram to push it beyond the 450FSB mark ;))