IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 13: Solaris

Ze_ro

I think I've got the hang of it now!

It does truely suck though having lost a few federation planets, I have to back track thru a few boards just to refuel. So I fight a battle, then backtrack thru a couple boards, then come back & fight one more battle, and then start the same process over yuck! But I think I've got the general idea down now. :)

post-43-1113710424_thumb.jpg

Man, I wish I had more time to play this week, I LOVE Solaris and can get to the second set of maps if I really concentrate. I'd love to take a shot at that bounty, but alas, this looks like the only game I'll be able to get off this week.

Ah well,

post-409-1113714879_thumb.jpg

I had something odd happen tonight. I'm not sure which quadrant I was in, but the fed planet was in between star clusters. I went down and to the right (4 o'clock position) to kill off a Zylon planet & pick up my stranded guys... Well when I when back to my fed planet to refuel, afterwards I could no longer pass to the left or up! I was stuck off to the right only (dead end!) I saved a pic of this as I was dumbfounded for a moment there, after a few minutes I came to the conclusion that I had to shoot my docking bay. :(

Is this the only way to that Zylon planet? You have to let one of your own planets die??

The wormhole down below would have also put me in the same section of this quadrant.

I'm currently sitting on my fed planet in this pic below...

Also what is it that gives you extra lives? How exactly are they awarded? Is there a max on extra lives?

post-43-1113798952_thumb.jpg

I had something odd happen tonight. I'm not sure which quadrant I was in, but the fed planet was in between star clusters. I went down and to the right (4 o'clock position) to kill off a Zylon planet & pick up my stranded guys...  Well when I when back to my fed planet to refuel, afterwards I could no longer pass to the left or up! I was stuck off to the right only (dead end!)  I saved a pic of this as I was dumbfounded for a moment there, after a few minutes I came to the conclusion that I had to shoot my docking bay. :( 

Is this the only way to that Zylon planet?  You have to let one of your own planets die??

The wormhole down below would have also put me in the same section of this quadrant.

I'm currently sitting on my fed planet in this pic below...

Also what is it that gives you extra lives? How exactly are they awarded?  Is there a max on extra lives?

839066[/snapback]

The best strategy for this quadrant is to clear the whole thing out of fighters, but leave all the planets untouched.

Later in the game, you can end up entering from the east. Then kill the zylon planet behind the wormhole, take the wormhole, kill the other zylon planet, then kill the fed planet and leave the quadrant.

Each zylon planet you destroy gives you an extra life (but you can only have up to four extra lives saved at any time),

Cheers!

Joey

Edited by Joey Kay

Cool! :cool:

At first I thought maybe for every 10K I was getting one, but then I went awhile without one so I wasn't sure. But that makes since, as I know I seem to get one after I rescue my dudes from Zylon planets.

Well I just passed my previous best, but while getting up to grab the camera I accidently tripped over the cord jarring the Atari, so no pic on this update, but I have upped my score to:

(I hope to break 100K though if I can get some sort of map situated, & try again tomorrow)

(I hope to break 100K though if I can get some sort of map situated, & try again tomorrow)

839096[/snapback]

Zoiks... save yourself mapping - check this website out:

I Beat Solaris

Although I don't 100% follow the route, it's the best (and perhaps only) guide out there. And even with this guide, I still can't beat the game. WAY TOO MANY cobra fleets to get through to reach Solaris, even with four lives stored up for the final leg of the trip.

Cheers!

Joey

Edited by Joey Kay

Whew, a little progress. Hard to get much more time on this one, but I wish I did, I am almost back to the second set of maps.

As for your Federation planet problem in the lemon-lime quadrant. You don't have to destroy your own planet, but you do have to strike fast. Enter the quadrant from above, and immediately head for the wormhole, get there as fast as you can, before the zylon ship attacks the federation planet. Once through the wormhole, wait for the zylons jump to the planet, rush to the zylon planet, pick up your stranded people, then get off that planet fast. Now race to save the Fed planet. If the Fed planet is saved you will be able to leave the planet in any direction, meaning you can escape, but in any other instance you may only exit the planet from the quadrant you entered it from. This is how I do it.

Hope that helps!

post-409-1113864677_thumb.jpg