IGNORED

Converting .XEX files to .ATR

Sky Runner

DO NOT turn executables into ATR files, it's useless and confusing! There's already a lot of disorganization because of those multiple ATR images of all sizes, please don't make things worse!

Use the ATR extension for standard disk sizes only, please don't create artificial images by just adding a header to a file!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

• Like 1

Does anybody know how to convert .XEX files to .ATR files ?

836492[/snapback]

You can't really convert them. You can create a ATR with a small bootloader to run your binary file though.

MAKEATR is one such utility for the PC. You could probably also just use DOS and rename the file to AUTORUN.SYS. There are other game DOSes out there too. PicoDOS is one that I remember.

Are you doing this to load them in an emulator or on the real thing?

Most emulators let you just run a binary file without making it into an ATR. On the real thing, you could use APE's PC-MIRROR loader to run the file.

Does anybody know how to convert .XEX files to .ATR files ?

836492[/snapback]

You can't really convert them. You can create a ATR with a small bootloader to run your binary file though.

MAKEATR is one such utility for the PC. You could probably also just use DOS and rename the file to AUTORUN.SYS. There are other game DOSes out there too. PicoDOS is one that I remember.

Are you doing this to load them in an emulator or on the real thing?

Most emulators let you just run a binary file without making it into an ATR. On the real thing, you could use APE's PC-MIRROR loader to run the file.

836555[/snapback]

you can use our PC tool "XBOOT" which generates an ATR image with the exe file and a small boot loader for the file.

see xasm.atari.org

DO NOT turn executables into ATR files, it's useless and confusing! There's already a lot of disorganization because of those multiple ATR images of all sizes, please don't make things worse!

Use the ATR extension for standard disk sizes only, please don't create artificial images by just adding a header to a file!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

836552[/snapback]

I'd have to agree... Just one look at the atari 8-bit tosec collection I downloaded from newsgroups was enough to tell me there are alot of .ATR files out there that were created from either carts or binary files. Totally confusing.

It's good to see that sites like atarimania are trying to remedy the confusion.

Anyways to the original poster. If you create these things just dont make them available to the public. ;) :D

Most of the Atr's i have contain a dos booter (3 sectors starting at 0700h) a 1 or 2 sector binary file and then the original disk/cass. data (minus the original loader)

Either that or just a dos booter and then a binary file

Either way to me is a poor hack job, i prefer to use the original loader so that i can see where the data is loaded in to mem. using either the DCB locations (300/30bh) or IOCB locations (340-3abh), and do a scan for a JMP or pokes to locations 2/3 or a,b,c or d

yeah,

I also hate those EXE to ATR conversions. They always create "shortened" ATR images (shorter than 90kbytes or any other standard density). The problem is a) to convert them back into real Atari 5,25" disks and b) the creation of dozens of different images and image-sizes of probably one and the same game... -Andreas.