IGNORED

Weird ebay auction? Look at this.

King Atari

The 3"1/2 shrinkwrapped light-gray floppy disk located in the mid-top of the picture leads me to think more along the ways of an Amiga or ST game...

Maybe the seller just read Activision and associated it with Atari!

greets,

Rasty.-

I can only say, that I never see this version before. I think this is not for the Atari 2600.

But can't tell this for 100%.

And its from Activision, but the Atari 2600 version is not from Activision. Salu has release it for Atari 2600.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

If it's for an Atari system, the only Atari system that uses 3.5" disks is the ST line of computers. It certainly wouldn't be for any other Atari-related system. I'm guessing the seller saw "Atari ST" on the box (probably on a small sticker affixed to the box) and just described the auction as, "Ghostbusters II Atari Game", not knowing that being more specific would help.

..Al

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

That makes sense. I haven't dealth with an ST, so I don't know much about it. Anybody know any good ST sites? I want to compare the game to the 2600 version.

A quick search on Google revealed the following site, which has lots of Ghostbusters II info, including screenshots of the Atari ST/Amiga versions:

Ghostbusters: ECTO-WEB

There's even lots of information on the Atari 2600 version (which I'll have to link to from our Ghostbusters II page.

Enjoy!

..Al

it's at least not that common. strangely it's rare in loose condition, and pops up on ebay.de in boxed new condition every two to four weeks. a german guy has a big stock of those. still, he sells them for about 12$ starting price, and it still goes a little higher usually (that confirms somehow the rare status as loose or used cart).

still it's a PAL cart, and i'm not sure if it exists as ntsc, so it should be rarer in usa.

at least i'm seeing the "1" version more often than the "2", so the rarity guide here is rather confusing to me.

sounds like a big programming job, but maybe the rarity guide should be depending on where you line.

i often sell us carts over here for a lot more than their "US"-value, simply because they're harder to get in europe.

so you see that euro.collectors often are ready to spend more for us-titles (f.e. because they don't want to ship overseas)

back to that auction ... i don't know what it is either, but i like the pin and poster, so i left a bid

quote:

back to that auction ... i don't know what it is either, but i like the pin and poster, so i left a bid

Cool! Let me know what it's like if you win it! Anyways, you raise a good point. Since GBII was only released in Europe, it's very rare in the US. So wouldn't that make it technically a 10? I'm not trying to sound braggy or anything like that, but 10 does mean nearly impossible to find. Will Luton once told me it was sought after in Britain, too, so that might be an indication that it's getting rarer (I'm not saying this because I'm getting copy, and I want to make it rarer for myself, I'm just tying to sort through this different country rarity thing). For example, "Bobby is Going Home" would be really rare over here, and didn't that get more of a distribution in other countries than GBII did? And with talk of a possible GBIII movie (read that site Al linked, it's possible), that can't help either the original game's rarity or it's sequel.

well, actually i was overbidden while typing my last post ...

you'll have to ask marc.

at least, he was so kind of sending me a mail saying "sorry but it was too interesting"

hey marco, don't start a bidding war with marc on this item now

overbidden fish.

Hey wait everyone! Like I said, I've (probably still) got the Amiga version box and sundry extras at my parents home (which is a long way from me but I can phone em ), if you want it, I'll see if I can get it to you - gratis.

Anyway, its not the 2600 version, its not rare either.

Incidentally, you can get boxed GB2 PAL pretty damn cheaply if you only get your ebay to look outside america!

It aint rare, it just takes a few more stamps

quote:

Yeah, I see way more overseas auctions for it than I do US auctions, for obvious reasons. I don't think "Acid Drop" or "Pick n Pile" are rarer than it though. GBII may be the equivalent of them, or vice versa.

let's give those two one rarity point on top, there just a little rarer.

actually (wether it's sold in germany or england) these must be from a giant stock that was left, as they're mostly sold in brand new boxed condition. i would only guess that ghostbusters was produced in a higher quantity.

that's why i'd give it one point less in rarity, or one more for the other two ones.

YES! Got the game today, it rocks! Twit, you 'da man! I remember an old post about this, and it holds true with my copy, the music on this one and the emulator version is different. The one on the cart sounds more like the music from the movie. Anyways, I've put it into a plastic comic holder, and I'm going to put a label at the bottom of the plastic stating that it was released in Europe only. I feel good...

quote:

Originally posted by King Atari:

YES! Got the game today, it rocks! Twit, you 'da man! I remember an old post about this, and it holds true with my copy, the music on this one and the emulator version is different. The one on the cart sounds more like the music from the movie. Anyways, I've put it into a plastic comic holder, and I'm going to put a label at the bottom of the plastic stating that it was released in Europe only. I feel good...

Ah! I am very glad that you are happy! Have fun with it ...

King,

Ghostbusters II never saw the light of day out here in the States. So, to answer your question... "There is no NTSC version of GB2 out there."

I spoke with the games' Programmer sometime back and Michael assured me that an NTSC version never happened. SALU LTD. licensed the Atari 2600 rights off of Activision UK., which from what I've been able to find out, was kinda' questionable.

The 2600 version is based REALLY loosely of the Atari computer version.

I've been contemplating releasing it on the Anthology project in NTSC format, but there's some work that would need to be done to it.

- Ken