IGNORED

Hardsynth

emkay

Would it be possible to use this to create something akin to Paul Slocum's Synthcart for the C64?  A small, stand-alone program for using the keyboard and the Pokey as a synthesizer, and avoiding the need to load up a more complex music program?

892817[/snapback]

Ähm.... What does this Synthcart exactly?

BTW:Again for some roundup I added a slightly changed "turrican" tune.

It's only a change in the vibrato setting. Now it has some "short reverb" imho.

BTW(2): For the baseline, I used generator "e". While using it with 64kHz, it always loses it's pitch. Having it played some octaves lower (15kHz), you have a real bass-sound & the "losing pitch"-problem isn't recognizable.

Edited by emkay

Would it be possible to use this to create something akin to Paul Slocum's Synthcart for the C64?  A small, stand-alone program for using the keyboard and the Pokey as a synthesizer, and avoiding the need to load up a more complex music program?

892817[/snapback]

Ähm.... What does this Synthcart exactly?

892864[/snapback]

Essentially, it turns the C64 into a very basic, digital/analog synthesizer. There was a product called Music Maker that was basically a keyboard overlay with tiny piano keys, and the synthcart uses the mapping of that overlay to allow you to play the SID like it's a keyboard synth. There are a variety of basic waveforms, a few effects, and you can also use paddle controllers to alter the filter setting in real time.

Obviously no Music Maker-type product exists for the Atari, but with the Pokey's extra channel you could do a lot more.

Essentially, it turns the C64 into a very basic, digital/analog synthesizer.  There was a product called Music Maker that was basically a keyboard overlay with tiny piano keys, and the synthcart uses the mapping of that overlay to allow you to play the SID like it's a keyboard synth.  There are a variety of basic waveforms, a few effects, and you can also use paddle controllers to alter the filter setting in real time.

Obviously no Music Maker-type product exists for the Atari, but with the Pokey's extra channel you could do a lot more.

893051[/snapback]

Belonging to Pokey's features we could, for real, do a lot more...

With such cart, a full "step by step" editor/recorder with pre-definable speeds and the possibility to use samples.... Yes.... why not :D

Now, hear this testrecording: it's a pokey playing triangle waves with 2 combined voices, that's all I have to say. maybe someone can guess how I did it  :)

http://www.phys.uu.nl/~bpos/mp3/triangles.mp3

...note: the fact that I didn't just post a .xex of this can be explained by this: when I do this in the emulator it just remains plain silent

889375[/snapback]

I know how it's done because I wrote this demo a while back. It's done the same way as the sawtooth, except you turn off the filter and leave both voices on. The problem is that it's very quiet (and the output has a large DC offset, which makes it "pop" when you start and stop notes, but there are ways to control that). This demo is all 60Hz Pokey programming:

-Bry

a8pac.mp3

Edited by Bryan

I know how it's done because I wrote this demo a while back. It's done the same way as the sawtooth, except you turn off the filter and leave both voices on. The problem is that it's very quiet (and the output has a large DC offset, which makes it "pop" when you start and stop notes, but there are ways to control that). This demo is all 60Hz Pokey programming:

-Bry

893616[/snapback]

Nice thingy. :)

:x But, I really could bite my Ass :D , that I've lost my experimentings with that.

I remember the sound was loud...

As the triangle really doesn't sound like a flute and the filter sounds are not sounding that soft.....

I still remember one AUDCTL setting and an arpeggio, to have a soft sounding "flute" sound. Even this "pop" sound wasn't a problem... :twisted:

Anyway.... thanks to take part in this thread :)

Belonging to Pokey's features we could, for real,  do a lot more...

With such cart, a full "step by step" editor/recorder with pre-definable speeds and the possibility to use samples.... Yes.... why not  :D

893266[/snapback]

Turn your XE into a 303?

As long as I can still play it like a keyboard live :)

Nice thingy. :)

:x  But, I really could bite my Ass  :D  , that I've lost my experimentings with that.

I remember the sound was loud...

As the triangle really doesn't sound like a flute and the filter sounds are not sounding that soft.....

I still remember one AUDCTL setting and an arpeggio, to have a soft sounding "flute" sound.  Even this "pop" sound wasn't a problem... :twisted:

Anyway.... thanks to take part in this thread :)

893789[/snapback]

I'd love to know another way to generate triangles if anyone's found one.

-Bry

This one I call "more into pokey mix" :) ... because someone mentioned it smells like an AY chip

:twisted:

;)

893212[/snapback]

I like the last segment, starting about 30 seconds into the music; sounds very good.

895447[/snapback]

What about this one ?

It's a test with some "quantization" correction... which means that the tune is some more timing corrected.

Yes, that sounds even better overall.  Less like a video game and more smooth.

896225[/snapback]

I would say, it sounds no more like "pokey" than a real synth... :ponder:

After listening several times to the last tune, sounds very professional :D ...

The only thing would be to have a final adjustment on the real machine.

At least for the emulation, it's perfect, and I'm impressed for myself how good generator "e" (bass-attendance) can sound.

it's great... but to be honest...1st i liked this "flächensounds" of the SID... but now i would prefer a more pokey one... ;) be different not like c64... but back to your question... i like your interpretation as well.

900738[/snapback]

To be honest (aswell) , what you hear is pure POKEY music.... not SID ;)

It's the style of sounding which can be done by easily adjusting the filter "offset" at 15kHz. The goal here is to have a stable sounding, and the different style of the tune (compared to the Turrican tune), shows that this setting fits aswell.

This means that the used instrument is usable for more than one tune :)

Please, please - if you're experimenting with sounds

then can you use the C64's Elite's 'Blue Danube' tune

as a base  ;). That has a good mix of instruments  :cool: .

900974[/snapback]

If you have the notation around :ponder:

900980[/snapback]

Ahh... Now I know

You mean : Johann Strauss - An der schönen blauen Donau

Perhaps some co-work ? Sack? Mux? me ... :ponder:

Someone has an idea to put the SID into RMT format?

Edited by emkay

i told sack long time ago...that i like this song as it's imho perfekt for a "game over" and/or "high score" theme... remember the Atari ST game "Enchanted land"...

The filtered sounding with portamento reminds me the "Last Ninja" tunes...

And, it would really be nice, to have the tune with "my" instruments and different interpretations of different muscians.

... as "Blaue Donau" would be a real challenge for a co-work.