IGNORED

The 2600 Label Thread

Gamemaster_ca_2003

• 4 months later...

Bump -- I just added Frostbite to post #85 above. I haven't printed it yet, so if anyone spots any noteworthy flaws or if I think it needs major color adjustment, I may revise it. I have two carts needing this label, which I should be printing real soon, so any revisions should be done before this weekend.

EDIT: I did print out the label and it needed some major color tweakage. I also boldened the text a bit, and changed the cut outline from dark to light so if you're a little off it won't be as noticeable.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

Bump -- I just added Frostbite to post #85 above. I haven't printed it yet, so if anyone spots any noteworthy flaws or if I think it needs major color adjustment, I may revise it. I have two carts needing this label, which I should be printing real soon, so any revisions should be done before this weekend.

Nice work AJ. The Frostbite label looks real good. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Does someone have , or is there a link offering , a 300dpi PhotoShop template for creating a few Atari Text and Picture labels?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that one was available , complete with layers , but I can't seem to find it no matter how far back I search. :?

Does someone have , or is there a link offering , a 300dpi PhotoShop template for creating a few Atari Text and Picture labels?

I thought I remember reading somewhere that one was available , complete with layers , but I can't seem to find it no matter how far back I search. :?

http://www.8bitclassics.com/index.php?opti...select&id=1

Quite a few options to download.

Corey

http://www.8bitclassics.com/index.php?opti...select&id=1

Quite a few options to download.

Corey

Cool :thumbsup: & thank you for that link.

Question though , aren't they (the labels) supposed to be editable? I'm looking more or less to redo a few of the text label carts I picked up from the flea market.

I'm using Photoshop 7 if that makes any difference. :ponder:

Thanks

Question though , aren't they (the labels) supposed to be editable? I'm looking more or less to redo a few of the text label carts I picked up from the flea market.

Thanks

Sorry about that, I thought I had the templates uploaded. I will get some uploaded into the template directories. Any specific label type you are looking for?

Corey

Thanks

Sorry about that, I thought I had the templates uploaded. I will get some uploaded into the template directories. Any specific label type you are looking for?

Corey

Wow! Awesome , thanks Corey. :cool:

I'm only looking for the 2 I had originally asked about , both the Text label & Picture label. I know I had tried looking around , but simply couldn't find the template you were talking about. :?

That's great though , thank you much.

Sorry for the delay, I have posted the following templates on my site:

PhotoShop:

Atari 2600 Text Label (Combat)

Atari 2600 Black Picture Label (Combat and Missile Command)

Atari 2600 Silver Label (Centipede)

Atari 5200 Silver Label (Pac-Man)

Atari 7800 Silver Label (Q*Bert - homebrew)

ColecoVision AtariSoft Label (Ms.Pac-Man w/ End Label)

ColecoVision Generic Label (For different Coleco labels)

Paint.Net (Free excellent Graphics Program at http://www.getpaint.net:

Atari 2600 Black Picture Label (Missile Command)

Go to http://www.8bitclassics.com, click on the files link at the top. Some of the files are large. Also make sure you download the font files either here at AtariAge or in the files section at 8-Bit Classics and install.

Edited by 8bitclassics

PhotoShop:

Go to http://www.8bitclassics.com, click on the files link at the top. Some of the files are large. Also make sure you download the font files either here at AtariAge or in the files section at 8-Bit Classics and install.

I can't get the templates to open. What version of Photoshop are they for and what is the right file extention to use on them?

Thanks,

Allan

PhotoShop:

I can't get the templates to open. What version of Photoshop are they for and what is the right file extention to use on them?

Thanks,

Allan

They should be extension .PSD and have been created in PhotoShop CS1/CS2. I opened just before I zipped them up, I can download one at my work computer and try it if you are still having problems.

Corey

You went out of your way Corey , and I appreciate that. I sent you a PM , by the way.

As for the templates , I'm going to try tracing them , and adding a new layer per trace. This might clear up the problem I'm having on my end.

Actually the bigger problem is me! :D After buying Photoshops 5,6 and ending with 7 , I swore to myself I'd never buy another PS again. The frequent new releases just made it impossible to keep up with. So it might just be the fact I'm not running the CS version that's causing compatibilty issues.

I can open them just fine , it's the layers that all seem to be missing. I'll check it out though. :)

Thanks Corey.

Corey ,

Looks like my idea may work , doing the tracing and all. :thumbsup:

I have to do a little bit of masking , and I may even be doing this the hard way , but it still turned out nice to me. I simply created layers using your Picture Label as a template , and added text and whatnot to the design. I'm still not finished with the template redo , but it will save the need for me to install the CS ver. of PS.

This is what I've come up with so far. Nothing to brag about , but good for a first crack. Everything seen in this image is a complete edit. The text & image are all part of the new .PSD.

Open for critiques or ideas. Thanks. :)

** Mine is on the left , Original Template on the right **

*edit - spelling , attachments

post-7835-1170886808_thumb.jpg

post-7835-1170887025_thumb.jpg

Edited by ProperRogue

What I did to create the original's was, if I had the box, I scanned it in at 300DPI which usually was the same artwork as the label (without the text), otherwise I would search the internet for a box scan. I woud then manually fixing the file if there was wrinkles or whatever imperfections. Once I was happy, used Imageready to make the rounded corners and then took it back into Photoshop for the final insertion into the label.

Yours looks good, but would have liked to see hi res version of it.

Corey

What I did to create the original's was, if I had the box, I scanned it in at 300DPI which usually was the same artwork as the label (without the text), otherwise I would search the internet for a box scan. I woud then manually fixing the file if there was wrinkles or whatever imperfections. Once I was happy, used Imageready to make the rounded corners and then took it back into Photoshop for the final insertion into the label.

Corey

Corey,

Keep in mind , my main goal was to have a template which allowed me edit various layers of the label. I'm sure if I install CS2, I'd have no problems at all , but I was saving that for a last option.

What I basically did was create a new file with the same specs as your CS2 template. Then for the first layer , I added your CS2 Missle Command label , and locked it. I then went on to add multiple layers for the text. The biggest challenge, or the most difficult, was the image/picture. I wanted to make mine a little different , just for display reasons , so I copied the art from the arcade flyer of MC. My last layer was a shape , rounded corners , and I used a little bit of masking when working with the image/shape combination.

I'll have to do this with all the labels , the multi-layer tracing that is. I've already tested compatibility and the new one works great in both 6 & 7. If you want , I could upload the new revision somewhere? It's pretty much the same as yours , so if you open it in CS2 , you might not see anything different. It most definitely will come in handy for those of us still running an older version of PS though. I'm going to work on mine a little bit before I give it back to you. This way you can see what I did , and make improvements if needed.

Still , without you or your help , doing this would not have been an easy task. I know it's very time consuming , and I can appreciate the work you've done. :)

Thank you again Corey.

* Just for grins & giggles , I added a picture of the template in Photoshop. Your original is in there , but unfortunately , it's on the bottom, and I believe turned off as I was finished tracing. I added a few guides to make positioning a little easier , and I want to do some work on that Atari logo in the lower corner of the picture. You'll notice it's missing in mine right now. :)

post-7835-1170945187_thumb.jpg

Edited by ProperRogue

Corey

Corey,

Keep in mind , my main goal was to have a template which allowed me edit various layers of the label. I'm sure if I install CS2, I'd have no problems at all , but I was saving that for a last option.

What I basically did was create a new file with the same specs as your CS2 template. Then for the first layer , I added your CS2 Missle Command label , and locked it. I then went on to add multiple layers for the text. The biggest challenge, or the most difficult, was the image/picture. I wanted to make mine a little different , just for display reasons , so I copied the art from the arcade flyer of MC. My last layer was a shape , rounded corners , and I used a little bit of masking when working with the image/shape combination.

I'll have to do this with all the labels , the multi-layer tracing that is. I've already tested compatibility and the new one works great in both 6 & 7. If you want , I could upload the new revision somewhere? It's pretty much the same as yours , so if you open it in CS2 , you might not see anything different. It most definitely will come in handy for those of us still running an older version of PS though. I'm going to work on mine a little bit before I give it back to you. This way you can see what I did , and make improvements if needed.

Still , without you or your help , doing this would not have been an easy task. I know it's very time consuming , and I can appreciate the work you've done. :)

Thank you again Corey.

* Just for grins & giggles , I added a picture of the template in Photoshop. Your original is in there , but unfortunately , it's on the bottom, and I believe turned off as I was finished tracing. I added a few guides to make positioning a little easier , and I want to do some work on that Atari logo in the lower corner of the picture. You'll notice it's missing in mine right now. :)

If you wanted to zip it up and post it in the file section mentioning Photoshop 7, I am sure a bunch of people would appreciate it since I believe it would open in Paint Shop Pro and a few others with Layers which the CS1/CS2 versions don't do. It does look great. My goal (if I had infinite time) was to start reproducing the Atari labels and posting them. But as I have found out, other priorities take up my time at this point. .

Corey

If you wanted to zip it up and post it in the file section mentioning Photoshop 7, I am sure a bunch of people would appreciate it since I believe it would open in Paint Shop Pro and a few others with Layers which the CS1/CS2 versions don't do. It does look great. My goal (if I had infinite time) was to start reproducing the Atari labels and posting them. But as I have found out, other priorities take up my time at this point. .

Corey

Yeah , I'd like to do that. I want to do a little work on that Atari logo that goes in the bottom/left of the picture though. Seems a little jagged on my end, rough-like. I can copy a vector logo over to PS and retain the smooth look. Also , like I said , I want to work on the masking a bit too. The way I have it right now , it might be a little to messy for someone wanting to work with it. Let me ease it a bit more , and then I'll upload it , if you'd like. :)

Members also have to realize and know , centering in PS. It doesn't auto center as you're typing the new titles. They'll need to align the layers after they're completed with the project. Also , the main layers will be locked anyways, so all they'll need to align are the label ( maybe ) , and the cart name. We'll see.

**EDIT : One more thing! Something really funny about these new ones is that , even with your label as a template at the bottom of the image , the filesize is still remarkably smaller. Must be PS7 that does that. I'm @ 4mb right now , and pretty much complete with the exception of the Atari logo , and the label number. I believe your original is topping out @ 12mb. That's odd!

Edited by ProperRogue

Alright , so I messed around with the template a little more , and came up with this. You'll have to forgive the name , it's the first thing that popped in my head. :D

The new template will have 2 different Atari logo layers , switchable between black or white , depending on the label. Additionally , it will also have a Stroke Effect if some prefer that. Same goes for the Cart Number# , but since it's text , and not an actual shape , the end user can simply change the color. The Cart Number features the Stroke Effect also, which can be turned off in the layer.

I played around with a few pictures to try something different , and I ended up using one completely new. Again , this is only for display, just to give you an idea of what the label can do.

While I'm thinking of it , what are the properties of the end label? Does anyone know?

Also , I'm not so sure I completely understand the bleeding area , what does that mean exactly , and how can I factor that into the new templates? Figured it out , thanks Corey!

Edit: Added final pic.

And of course , just for fun , and to try things out , I printed the new label on a B&W LaserJet. Doesn't look that bad , I hope. This is just to give you an idea of what the finished product may look like. BTW , I did have to alter the cart name a little , the first label was a bit over. I guess this would be the bleed area. :ponder:

post-7835-1170952829_thumb.jpg

post-7835-1170952854_thumb.jpg

Edited by ProperRogue

If you want, I can email you the different parts seperately. I ended up putting a lot of work in the the logo cleaning it up for the cart and stuff, so it could save you some time. Your label design is looking good. Keep up the good work.

Cool , thank you for the kind words , but it's all because of you man. :thumbsup:

As for the logo , what I ended up doing is taking a nice Atari vector , and transferring it from Illustrator to Photoshop. I pasted the logo as a shape , and of course resized it to match the logo on your label. I did this twice , one black , one white. When people use the template , all they need to do is turn off the one they don't need. Using a vector shape means the image has nice clean lines, and for the most part is still scalable , that is , until it's rasterized.

Overall , this should be a good start.

Edited by ProperRogue