IGNORED

The Missing Proto's

The_Laird

I was reading the catalog posts and remembered I have a copy of Lynx Log 2 with loads of games in with their release dates (not one of which was actully correct - all of the were either months later or not at all) and got to thinking what happened to all of these un-released games. Who programmed them? Were any of them finished? And most importantly, where are they now?

720 - Several screenshots have been seen,

Vindicators - This arcade conversion was announced, and seen, early in the Lynx's life then vanished.

Rolling Thunder - I saw this one on the Atari stand as the CES in London, never seen again.

Ninja Nerd - Same as above.

Cabal - Only ever seen one screen so not sure if ever got even half-way finished.

Geo-Duel - Seen loads of stuff on this, seemed to be finished?

Eye Of The Beholder - Believe there are finished versions out there.

Daemonsgate - Same as above.

R/C Demoltion Derby - Saw screen very early in Lynx's life, did it become Super Off-Road?

Guardians: Storm Over Doria - Believe this Telegames title was pulled at about 30% complete.

Ultra Star Raiders - Never seen any screens, don't know if it was started.

Ultimate Brain Games - Telegames title that has appeared on the Gameboy.

California Games 2 - Was announced late in the Lynx's life along with Alien Vs. Predator. Saw 2 screens in Gamesmaster magazine, waterskiing and a title screen.

Edited by mr.kizza

I've been wondering the same thing myself. Ultimate Brain Games & California Games II are new ones on me though. If there are references or screenshots I'll add them to my list. I'd like to see a copy of the Lynx Log 2 if you'd be willing to scan it.

I've been told that Eye of the Beholder was complete but it doesn't sound like Daemonsgate was ever 100% completed. I think that what we have may be all there was. The few people that have working copies of Eye of the Beholder are keeping a tight hold on it, especially after the Nintendo lawsuits and the GBA release awhile back.

A few others that I picked up references to while digging through various pages, FAQs, and newsgroups are listed below. Many of these may have just been rumours, ideas, or jokes and a few of them were proposed homebrews.

Bleaker

Blood & Guts Hockey (renamed to Hockey?)

Blue Earth

Classics 2000

Defender/Stargate/Defender II

Demolition Derby

Dungeon Slayers

Edward 2000

Evergreen

Full Court Press Basketball

Heavyweight Contender

Iron Reign

Mechtiles

Operation Desert Storm

Relief Pitcher

Road Fury

Space Battles

Spacewar

Super Sprint (I believe this was just a title screen, no work done so this may be known)

The Furies

Wolfenstein 3D

Edited by glitch

Blood & guts was renamed Hockey, I mentioned Demolition Derby, Operation Desert Storm is the sub-title of Desert Strike, Dungeon Slayers became Gauntlet 3, I also remember seeing screens of Super Sprint and in'm sure i saw an in-game as well as the title screen. I also remember seeing a screenshot for Space War in one of the ST magazines. California Games 2 was not in the Lynx log which I believe is already on Atari Age? I only saw it in Gamesmaster magazine. Don't have a scanner so scanning wouldn't be possible someone else must have this though I got my copy from Game. Ultimate Brain Games was featured in quite a few Telegames brochures and was also scheduled for the Jag. As I've said Telegames did release the Gameboy version. Also I wonder what happened to Ninja Gaiden 2 did it come out on any other platform? Why no Lynx version?

Edited by mr.kizza

Bleaker

Blue Earth

Classics 2000

Edward 2000

Evergreen

Iron Reign

Road Fury

The Furies

Wolfenstein 3D

I think none of the above were ever started, they were just concepts (although Lucien definitely has a very cool 3D engine which would make a fine Wolf 3D clone).

Dungeon Slayers

Relief Pitcher

Both exist, but I'm not sure how close to completion they were. Dungeon Slayers was a Dungeon Master / MIDI-Maze clone, totally different from Gauntlet 3.

Mechtiles

I own the source and rights for this one. :) Not even close to a playable game unfortunately, let alone a finished game...

Space Battles

This is one of Harry's games, hopefully he'll finish it up and release it properly someday. Righy, Harry? ;)

'Blood and Guts Hockey' wasn't renamed plain 'Hockey'. Blood & Guts was announced a long time after Hockey came out, pretty close to when Atari dropped all support for the Lynx. I've got a flyer or catalog or something with it's announcement, along with Relief Pitcher. There was a picture of the game's splash screen, it looked completely different from ordinary Hockey.

Ok I stand corrected i just remembered Gauntlet 3 and Hockey having different names to start with, in fact Hockey was also released on the Megadrive/Genesis and called Mario Lemieux and was pratically identical to the Lynx version.

I now own the Eye the Beholder prototype. I'm not sure if it is complete or not, as I have not gotten to the end (seems to be though). Unfortunately the rom does not work on current emulators (it's a 512K game with a special memory save). I will make the rom public once I go over the proto and see how complete it is.

Tempest

Ninja Nerd was renamed and released as Fat Bobby. :D

850021[/snapback]

And there are actually two versions of Fat Bobby. The demo is a bit different than the released version. In the demo you don't shoot from your guitar, you can only swing it. Not to mention the levels are different.

Tempest

I now own the Eye the Beholder prototype.  I'm not sure if it is complete or not, as I have not gotten to the end (seems to be though).  Unfortunately the rom does not work on current emulators (it's a 512K game with a special memory save).  I will make the rom public once I go over the proto and see how complete it is.

Tempest

849227[/snapback]

Yes, please make it public :D It would be cool trying it out on the Lynx. I waited and waited for this release back in the days, but in vain :P