IGNORED

CRCs on the 7800?

PacManPlus

Hi:

I'm trying to make a hack of a 7800 game (first one?) and I am running into an issue -

OK - I guess I have to say what I'm doing in order to ask about this problem ;)

I have begun hacking Ms Pac-Man (7800) into Pac-Man, and I have (so far) been able to change the maze graphics (so they are hollow inside) and rearrange the maze and dots. The only issue here is that it crashes MESS and EMU7800. It works in Dan Boris' 7800 emulator, so I know I didn't ruin the program.

If this is the case, does anyone know how (and where) I go about changing the CRC to match the changes I make?

PS - I know where the Sprite graphics are now, and it looks like they are held a little differently than the other 7800 games. It looks like they are held kind of like the fruit character set in the 5200 version of Pac-Man (when they are not compressed). That is, two bytes for each pixel on the screen. I need to find (or attempt to write) a program that will allow me to 'see' them normally.

Thanks,

Bob

For EMU7800 they are in a CSV file located in the same folder as the executable.

For Prosystem they are in a plain text DAT file in the same folder as the executable. I believe Prosystem will also handle A78 format ROMs as well as MESS.

By the way, have you tried it on the real thing yet?

Mitch

Thanks for the reply, Mitch - here I am thinking that there was some 'key signature' in the cart image itself :-P

I think I also found what I was looking for on Dan Boris' site - it creates a new signature from the bytes on the cart, or something like that.

I hope I'm not going in the completely wrong direction here... :-/

Assuming this works, I'll post a WIP screen shot in a appropriately titled thread. :) I just need to find where the counter is to choose what maze gets used for the current level... (wish there was a better documented disassembly of MsPacMan) :-P

Thanks again!

BTW - to answer your question, no I haven't tried it on the real thing yet... was going to do that tonight, after I get the above working. :)

Edited by PacManPlus