IGNORED

ColecoVision P.O.P. Display Kiosk Update

As some of you may already know I recently won this auction for a vintage ColecoVision P.O.P. Display Kiosk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Currently I am here in New York picking it up. Keep in mind I live in Toledo, OH, about 10 hours west of here. I called the seller, Ben, tonight to let him know that I was in town. He asked me to stop by tonight to check it out before we disassembled it tomorrow and loaded it up for it's 600 mile journey to it's new home.

Apparently he won a Zaxxon high score contest at a Toys 'R Us when he was a kid to obtain this holiest of Holy Grails. We journeyed down to his basement to check out the display.

(Boxing Ring Announcer's Voice)

"In this corner, standing at 6', 11 and 1/4" tall and weighing in at around 350 lbs., The ColecoVision Display Kiosk."

I'm not kidding you I about flipped out when I saw how damn big this thing really was. I know that the auction listed the dimensions, but I thought that maybe he was wrong, but nope, dead on.

So after talking for about an hour and a half, about this and that, and the 2002 Lamborghini Diablo he owns, sitting in his driveway we decided to look a little closer at the unit to figure out how to take it apart. Upon closer examination, I discovered a few nice little extras:

Box and manual for the ColecoVision console (near-mint)

Box and manual for the Steering Wheel Module (mint)

Boxes and manuals for all of the games that he had listed it the auction, plus a couple extra games that he had found shortly after he had listed it (near-mint to mint)

June 1983 "Video Games" magazine (near-mint)

A receipt from 1983 when he bought his copy (now mine) of Pitstop with a retail price of $38.95

The key (with a Centipede keychain) for the cabinet lock

The original TV in working order

And last, but definately most important:

The instruction manual for the Display Kiosk

That's right he has the damn manual for the Kiosk, I couldn't believe it. I remember when we were talking, he had mentioned that at some point after he had grown up and moved out his mother told him to get that thing out of her house, she didn't care how, she didn't care if he had to use a saw to slice it up and throw it away, just get it out of her house. At some point after he had told me the story the phone rang, it happened to be his mother and he explained to her that the guy, me, who bought the thing that she wanted him to throw away, was there to pick it up.

I took a couple of more pics that I've attached to this. Unfortunately the room that the Display was is was somewhat small and dimly lit so I couldn't get great pics, but here they are anyway. I'll upload some better pics when I get it home, and completely refurbished.

fronttop5dh.jpg

frontbottom5bo.jpg

side9yq.jpg

One word -- AWESOME!!!

BTW, what's the game pictured between Skiing and Smurfs? It looks like Head-2-Head Football judging by the picture, but I can't actually make out the title. Too bad Coleco never release Skiing -- I remember drooling over the first-person screen shot they had in their catalog....

One word -- AWESOME!!!

BTW, what's the game pictured between Skiing and Smurfs?  It looks like Head-2-Head Football judging by the picture, but I can't actually make out the title.  Too bad Coleco never release Skiing -- I remember drooling over the first-person screen shot they had in their catalog....

852058[/snapback]

Yeah it's Head to Head Football

Well 600 miles and 9.5 hours each way, but well worth it. No problems with the travel. Fortunately my buddy lent me his mini-van, so I got 450 miles to a tank of gas instead of the 280 miles per tank that my SUV gets with the same size gas tank. Saved me about $120 in gas money alone, not to mention that it wouldn't fit in my VehiCROSS.

vehicross3nh.png

I am still really excited about it. When I got to see it for the first time I would have loved to have been able to see my face. After Ben and I had been talking about it and other things for about an hour he had told me that I was like a kid in a candy store to him. Mostly because after seeing the unit and playing Zaxxon and Donkey Kong for a while we had opened up the sliding doors to discover the Display's instruction manual and boxes for all of the games he had too.

I am still really excited about it.  When I got to see it for the first time I would have loved to have been able to see my face.  After Ben and I had been talking about it and other things for about an hour he had told me that I was like a kid in a candy store to him.  Mostly because after seeing the unit and playing Zaxxon and Donkey Kong for a while we had opened up the sliding doors to discover the Display's instruction manual and boxes for all of the games he had too.

852218[/snapback]

doubledowns face when he first seen it :-o

Very cool Doubledown. I keep seeing your name pop up on all kinds of cool auctions, you must have one hell of an understanding or supportive wife.

I drooled when I first saw that, and I remember them in the stores too, because that was what made me want a CV so bad. Lets hope the one I got last week on eBay arrives in one piece and actually works!

It really is about the baddest thing on the planet.  I almost wish I had a store so that I could display it there.  It is a thing of beauty and should be admired by it's adoring fans.

852791[/snapback]

Bring it to Philly Classic - I'll chip in for the table cost :)

...damn, I remember seeing that thing in Sears like 20 years ago, easy!...I remember looking at the controllers, and tried to 'spin' them like paddles (which they certainly looked a lot like)...of course, it wasn't turned on due to the crowds that would have swarmed it, but I remember checking out the graphic advert for the unreleased Mr. Turtle...yep, the good ol' days..

It really is about the baddest thing on the planet.  I almost wish I had a store so that I could display it there.  It is a thing of beauty and should be admired by it's adoring fans.

852791[/snapback]

Bring it to Philly Classic - I'll chip in for the table cost :)

852796[/snapback]

I'd love to, maybe you could also help chip in for the 50+ gallons of gas and the hotel costs too. :D Not to mention having to borrow my friend's van again and having to tear the unit down, assemble it, tear it down, and re-assemble it without any major damage happening to it. But I really would love to have it there though.