IGNORED

HSC Season 2 Week 17: Cross Force

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

For zeons and zeons, the evil Morpuls from the planet Tzoris have been terrorizing the far corners of the galaxy, leaving a trail of havoc, destruction, and thoroughly awful sci-fi video game names. But victory shall soon be ours! Our clever scientists have developed a new powerful weapon called a Spectron. Your recent success on your last mission, Planet Patrol, makes you the ideal choice to deploy our new power. Prepare to leave for the planet Tzoris immediately, because this week's game is Cross Force!

Game Information

• Game Name: Cross Force
  • Released By: Spectravision, 1982
  • Left Difficulty: B / Novice - Fast Movement
  • Right Difficulty: B / Novice - Fast Movement
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - Diagonal Spectron, 1 Player
  • Chosen By: gospeedde

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, May 17th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be KaeruYojimbo! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current High Scores

1. goldfuji.gif65,300 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  2. silverfuji.gif16,120 (keilbaca) [+10]
  3. bronzefuji.gif12,130 (Mad Scientist) [+9]
  4. 9830 (gospeedde) [+8]
  5. 8540 (StanJr) [+7]
  6. 8150 (SpiceWare) [+6]
  7. 6120 (Numan) [+5]
  8. 2180 (panda_racer) [+4]
  9. 1550 (khryssun) [+3]
  10. 1170 (Kepone) [+2]
  11. 1020 (Damon Plus) [+1]
  12. 860 (Goochman) [+1]
  13. 820 (vdub_bobby) [+1]
  14. 740 (LarcenTyler) [+1]
  15. 450 (Dan Iacovelli) [+1]
  16. 250 (internetotaku) [+1]

Best Tips

• ribbon.gifStanJr [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• The Medal of Klig - Score 60,000 points or higher and get 5 bonus points!
    • the 5th ghost [+5]

[*]The Spectra Medallion - Score between 50,000 and 60,000 points and get 3 bonus points!

[*]Medal of Valor - Score between 30,000 and 50,000 points and get 1 bonus point!

Current Standings

1. StanJr [139]
  2. keilbaca [130]
  3. the 5th ghost [70]
  4. Osbo [60]
  5. Malc74 [58]
  6. sku_u [51]
  7. Fellow Atari Man [49]
  8. vdub_bobby [45]
  9. video game addict [42]
  10. Christophero Sly [41]
  11. KaeruYojimbo [39]
  12. SpiceWare [37]
  13. LarcenTyler [35]
  14. Robert M [33]
  15. Keir [32]
  16. gospeedde [31]
  17. Numan [30]
  18. Lord Thag [30]
  19. racer raul [29]
  20. Blackjack [28]
  21. chrisbid [28]
  22. Philflound [27]
  23. pitfallaimee [24]
  24. Dones [24]
  25. Lord Helmet [21]
  26. Cybergoth [20]
  27. Goochman [19]
  28. Dan Iacovelli [19]
  • mikeftrevino [18]
  • chubsta [17]
  • Mad Scientist [16]
  • yuppicide [15]
  • candiru [14]
  • cvga [13]
  • davepesc [11]
  • Thomas Jentzsch [9]
  • scogey [8]
  • khryssun [8]
  • adams_ale [6]
  • Luigi301 [5]
  • Gamemaster_ca_2003 [5]
  • Bubbledragon [4]
  • BydoEmpire [3]
  • kemsted [3]
  • Stingray [3]
  • 128bytes [2]
  • Voch [2]
  • iguana [2]
  • Chris++ [1]
  • awsomo3000 [1]
  • Damon Plus [1]
  • madbutscher [1]
  • Scooterb23 [1]
  • bjk7382 [1]
  • Gateway [1]

Member List

KaeruYojimbo, bjk7382, Christophero Sly, yuppicide, madbutscher, the 5th ghost, Scooterb23, khryssun, Malc74, chubsta, Keir, Philflound, candiru, kemsted, keilbaca, Cybergoth, sku_u, Chris++, cvga, LarcenTyler, 128bytes, Goochman, mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer

Scoring Points in Cross Force

• All enemies are worth 10 points multiplied by the level number... so on level 5, shooting an Attack Ship or a Morpul will score 50 points.
  • A bonus spectron is awarded every 10,000 points.
  • A maximum of 4 spectrons can be carried at any one time.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, luckily for you, AtariAge has a typed copy of it online for your reading pleasure.

What's that? You're too lazy to click that link? Well, the manual doesn't provide any specific hints anyways!

Tip: You can move the Spectron while firing, that changes the angle of the shoot and gives you more chances of hit the enemies.

Tip: Concentrate on destroying first one Morphul Ship, and then the 2 Morphul Warrior it releases after being hit, and then, go to the next Morphul Ship. That way is a lot easier than having to take care of 6 Morphul Warriors who attack you at once!

Much like in Demon Attack, only certain aliens have the ability to shoot at you. Figure out which ones these are and ignore the rest, they are just cannon fodder. If you shoot the shooter, then another alien will gain the ability to shoot. You can use this to your advantage to dodge the shooters and pick off the rest, then go after the shooters.

This helped me a lot with the frog rounds, but the next rounds get really fast and deadly!

DO NOT run out of energy, always shoot that little pink star, otherwise you go boom. Conserve energy by taking out several aliens with one shot, they will often line up neatly for you to do so. Remember that the pink star cannot appear unless you have cleared the middle row of aliens, so if you are getting low on fuel, take aim on that middle row.

If you are near an alien when you kill him, shoot and move! I've lost a lot of lives from those bastards getting off a killing shot after I destroy them.

I am finding that the extreme sides or dead center are the best places to camp out and shoot from. You get better lines there.

On the second level, try to stay in the middle because most of the time, the baddies wont' be able to get you there. However, you can't stay there for too long. Make sure to keep moving because you never know when you'll get hit.
The most important thing here, is to get used to the controls.

Get very used to the top going in an opposite direction, because in the later levels things get fast.

At 10k you gain an extra health, so you always have that to look for.

Tips:

At the beginning of each wave, line up your spectrons in the center and wait to pick off each Morpul pod as they reach the center of the screen. This will help conserve shots and energy.

Tip 2:

When the Morpul pods split into two Morpuls (after Wave 1): After they split, on the bottom row, the left Morpul will always be the one to shoot the missile when hit. On the top row, the right Morpul will be the one to shoot the missile when hit. Keep watch of these and their color in case they criss cross! The middle row of Morpuls will never shoot the missile when hit. So, the best strategy I've come up with so far is to wait in the center and hit all three Morpul pods to get them to split into two, then, position my Spectrons top-right/bottom left to pick off the missile firing Morpuls with one good diagonal shot. Then, clean up the rest as you make your way back to the center of the screen to await the next wave of pods.

Tip 3: You must hit the Energy Packs to stay alive. Sometimes they meander on the sides and are impossible to hit though.

At Wave 9: The enemies are random and all mixed up together, so you really have to pay attention! Good Luck!

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

Crappy score for me! I didn´t even understand what I was doing until the last life.

Tip: You can move the Spectron while firing, that changes the angle of the shoot and gives you more chances of hit the enemies.

Tip: Concentrate on destroying first one Morphul Ship, and then the 2 Morphul Warrior it releases after being hit, and then, go to the next Morphul Ship. That way is a lot easier than having to take care of 6 Morphul Warriors who attack you at once!

Edited by Damon Plus

Woo hoo! 2080!

Oh, and here is a little something I am figuring out. Much like in Demon Attack, only certain aliens have the ability to shoot at you. Figure out which ones these are and ignore the rest, they are just cannon fodder. If you shoot the shooter, then another alien will gain the ability to shoot. You can use this to your advantage to dodge the shooters and pick off the rest, then go after the shooters.

This helped me a lot with the frog rounds, but the next rounds get really fast and deadly!

DO NOT run out of energy, always shoot that little pink star, otherwise you go boom. Conserve energy by taking out several aliens with one shot, they will often line up neatly for you to do so. Remember that the pink star cannot appear unless you have cleared the middle row of aliens, so if you are getting low on fuel, take aim on that middle row.

If you are near an alien when you kill him, shoot and move! I've lost a lot of lives from those bastards getting off a killing shot after I destroy them.

I am finding that the extreme sides or dead center are the best places to camp out and shoot from. You get better lines there.

Edited by StanJr

OK! 3040.

I think I am getting the hang of some of this. I can make it to the orange wave pretty regularly. The frogs are much easier than when I first started, its those fast little men that are giving me fits now.

But I gotta go to work. Can't wait to see how the rest of you fare with this toughie!

I've been out of the loop for several weeks. Have been extremely busy and still will be, though I'm going to try and play this week. I'm wondering who's picking next week's game since Zero didn't change the person.

Phil

852706[/snapback]

Looks like KaeruYojimbo is next on the member list :ponder:

Rats. I don't have this one, and I *hate* playing on emu, so I'll probably sit this one out. Maybe I'll try playing on the PC, but it just ain't the same, ya know?

852800[/snapback]

Get yourself a Stella adapter, and video output to your tv from your video card :cool:

If you can't do that, you can use this. I have this, and it works out quite well. Text is blurry, as you would expect from composite quality, but it works perfect for genesis, snes, and atari emulation.

Can I reply to this message to be added to the list? If so, I request to be added.  My best score thus far with Cross Force is just 250 though.  Its nice to play a game of this difficulty level, nowadays :)

852819[/snapback]

Yup, you're in! All you hafta do is post a score (you did).

Welcome to the HSC!

When the hell did I ban Todd? Who the hell am I to ban anybody? Todd seems to have up and left on his own. Todd wants to play, let Todd play. I don't know how I became the freakin' enemy around here. Sheesh.

Oh, and I nailed a score of 8110 before I left for work this morning.

Just a quick tip:

On the second level, try to stay in the middle because most of the time, the baddies wont' be able to get you there. However, you can't stay there for too long. Make sure to keep moving because you never know when you'll get hit.

The most important thing here, is to get used to the controls.

Get very used to the top going in an opposite direction, because in the later levels things get fast.

At 10k you gain an extra health, so you always have that to look for.