IGNORED

Have you ever paid too much just because you really want it?

Cassidy Nolen

Hi all,

After being outbid on about a million auctions for Kaboom, I just went ahead and bid until I won. Of course, this means I paid 31 bucks for a boxed copy.

I have games I have paid 3 times that much for and I never play. I was just wondering what lengths others will go to for playability's sake rather than collecting. I sort of see myself somewhere in between a player and a collector, leaning heavily toward collector.

Cassidy

I'm really only missing like 5 2600 games that i think i may actually be able to trade for or find at this point. (ones that aren't like $100)

Here's the bigger ones i've had to purchase

over the past few years. (most often only to complete certain companies of games)

Berestain Bears $32

Mr Do's Castle $40

Q Bert's Qubes $92

Universal Chaos $24 (complete)

Xenophobe (ntsc) $30

(these were most cart only btw)

some good deals, some maybe not as good but none the less i have *most* of the games i want now :-)

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MattG ]

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: MattG ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cassidy:

After being outbid on about a million auctions for Kaboom, I just went ahead and bid until I won. Of course, this means I paid 31 bucks for a boxed copy.

I found a mint, boxed copy of Kaboom at a yard sale...I asked what they wanted for it, and they said, "take it, it's yours."

On another note, I once paid 20 dollars for a broken 2600--and I knew it was broken. I just wanted to paint on it for a video-game related art show entry. I couldn't bring myself to deface one of my own systems.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: pitfallaimee ]

hey we all do that at some point some are just really wacked out compare to others. my big spending thing was 45 $ for smurfs save the day cart only. that and SHuttle Orbiter by avaalon hill mint for 90$ cart only thta i dont know if it was a good deal or not but i think to this day i am happy with it and i havent seen too many Shuttle Orbiter games about.

1995 i payed $75 for a colecovision w/atari 2600 adaptor and 2 games (Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong jr) at a flea market and at the time i thought this was EXTREMELY high for a video game system

only because the highest system before the coleco i payed for was $30 for a boxed 5200 w/ 30 games at a flea market

I'm not sure if it was too much since it was a prototype and the sky's the limit on those, but I paid $450 for a 5200 Super Pac-Man prototype because I really really wanted it. I've always been a huge Super Pac fan and I love the 5200 so the two just seemed to go together.

Besides the Super Pac-Man incident I just paid $38 for a boxed 2600 Gunslinger because it had an error on the box stating 20 variations instead of 16.

Tempest

quote:

Originally posted by Cassidy:

I was just wondering what lengths others will go to for playability's sake rather than collecting. I sort of see myself somewhere in between a player and a collector, leaning heavily toward collector.

Oh, plenty of times...you've seen my collection. BK (before kids) money was a little looser, and I had my Jag, Lynx and 7800 collections to complete. Actually I think the worst I've done was 5200 Bounty Bob, something like $125 for the cart + instructions.

Oh yeah, and at CGExpo I spent something like $2500, because I just got a huge check from a client who owed me something like 6 months worth of consulting. Had to get an extra suitcase for the ride home.

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes when I really want an item on eBay I'll spend too much for it, because I don't want to keep wasting time looking for that particular item. I don't do this too often, but for games I really want then I can get myself in trouble. I think I paid a little over $100 for the Atari 8-bit Bounty Bob Strikes Back, which I think is a bit high in my opinion, but thankfully less than what the 5200 version goes for (which I still don't have).

I can't think of any ridiculous examples, because I haven't strayed too much into the insane prices some extremely rare (say, rarity 9 and 10) games sometimes fetch. Not to mention prototypes. I did pay $200 for BattleSphere, which is too much (I did it for AtariAge! Really!) Fortunately I haven't yet developed Tempest's infatuation for prototypes (at least, prototypes that have already been released in some form).

..Al

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I paid 90 bucks for a copy of Swordquest Waterworld. It was just the cart, but it's in mint condition.

I still haven't taken it out of the plastic bag that it was shipped in, because I want to keep it nice. ^^

Also, when I saw the video of Boulder Dash 2600, it blew my mind, and just out of the blue, I bought it at 3 in the morning. xDDD