IGNORED

Games in the worst condition.

Mountain King

Ever buy a game at a flea market or thrift shop that was soooo bad you couldn't see the label or it was deformed, but you picked it up anyway because you didn't have it. I bought Krull at a local flea market and it looked like it was set on fire or was in a fire. It actually worked eventhough it was melted. Luckily I found another one a few months later.

quote:

Originally posted by Mountain King:

I bought Krull at a local flea market and it looked like it was set on fire or was in a fire. It actually worked eventhough it was melted.

Perhaps you should give it a new life and remove the PCB from the Krull case and stick it in a empty Combat case. Then print out a quick label and put on the case so you know what it is.

I personally haven't seen or gotten anything that bad. If the price was right I'd get it though

GAH! This is the bane of my existence! I am a freak for mint labels! Damage to a the cart itself is unspeakable! I did have a Laser Blast once that had a chunk taken out of the side.

Somebody here has a cart (Basketball I think) that looks like it was run over by a train.

Hmm.... it seems many of you Guys care a lot about the

look of your Carts...

Well, i don´t care much about that... as long as the Game

works so i can play it i´m satisfied!!!

Maybe someone would trade me a few of those ugly Carts

or sell them very cheap????!!! ;-)

If I see an ugly cart and I dont have it, Ill buy it. However, I hate ugly carts. I usually replace them with nice ones eventually, and throw the ugly one away - well, ok, i keep the ugly ones too.

I have a Bermuda Triangle cart that looks as if it was abducted by aliens and subjected to strange experiments, either that or someone threw up on the lable.

quote:

Originally posted by Junie:

Perhaps you should give it a new life and remove the PCB from the Krull case and stick it in a empty Combat case. Then print out a quick label and put on the case so you know what it is.

Hi,

sorry for my question, but is "combat case" a sort of cases or is it a game which I find at every corner so I can use a case of it?

Michael

Well,

Worst one I had was a Skiing (Activision) that one of my students found on his way to school. Whole thing was smashed (was in the street and got hit by a car), but we cleaned it and it worked. I later gave a six switch TeleGames to a student and included that cart in the bunch.

Had a Bowling that the label smelled like pee.

Had a Kaboom with tape all over the labe.

Vanguard with a cigarette hole through the case.

Thats about it. For Arcadia I have a naked AND broken (imagine that?) cart. Just cant bring myself to toss it.

Cassidy

I personally take great care of anything that I own so I try to look for only the best carts. Yes, I understand that the ultimate goal is to collect them and play them, but if I'm going to spend the time, effort and money to collect carts, I want something that actually looks halfway decent. I for one would never buy a melted cart. Why would I want to put something like that into my antique Atari console?

If I found a Quadrun in poor condition, I would definitely replace the casing and print up a label for it.

I've found plenty of damaged and ruined labels, but usually the cartridges are still in decent condition (if a little dirty sometimes). However, I do recall one cartridge that wasn't so fortunate. I had gone to a thrift store to see what I could dig up, but I dug up nothing that day. Nothing, that is, save for a lone Parker Brothers 2600 cart with no label (I love those "mystery" carts!). The cartridge was cracked and the lip over the end was broken and skewed; it looked as though it had been smashed or stepped on [repeatedly]. As if that wasn't enough, the plastic that holds the circuit board in place was broken, so the PCB was loose and kept sliding down into the cart (meaning it would be impossible to plug into an Atari in this state). I almost passed it over, since it was obviously a lost cause, but I changed my mind and bought the poor thing (it was less than a dollar). Maybe the circuit board was still good...

I took it home and opened it up. I then plugged the circuit board into an Atari and turned on the power - nothing. I cleaned the board's contacts and tried it again. There before my eyes was... Frogger. Okay, so I had almost a dozen of them already. At least I'd rescued this one from the wastebasket. I used epoxy glue to secure the board to its proper place in the cartridge shell, then reassembled it. The cartridge worked just fine after that. One more for my Atari horde...

One time I found a Dark Cavern with no endpiece; the circuit board had fallen out, but was included. Also, the metal cover over the program chip fell off. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this one to work. The contacts might have been corroded, or the thing had simply roasted too long in this damned Louisiana heat. I'm holding onto it in case the chip itself is still good.

As far as consoles go, I found a "Darth Vader" 2600 at a flea market for a couple of dollars. It appeared to be in good shape, aside from some dirt and dust. I decided to open it up and wash the case halves. When I did, I discovered that the inside was dirtier than the outside. WAY dirtier. Dirt? The thing was literally filled with it, as though the console had been buried in a landfill and dug up again [insert E.T. wisecrack here]. Or perhaps it had been sitting next to an air vent, and years of dust and filth had blown into it. Whatever the case, the thing needed to be cleaned. I dumped out most of the filth, and then washed the case halves. This was no easy task, as there were some dead maggots that stubbornly refused to unstick from the surface. At least these weren't necrotized like the ones I found in the marquee bracket of my Kangaroo machine... [ahem] But I digress. In any event, after I got the shell cleaned, I then took some stiff paint brushes and brushed off the circuit board as best I could. The final result wasn't pretty, but it was serviceable. After removing some chunks of ??? from beneath the switches, I reassembled the thing. I honestly didn't expect it to work, given its dismal internal condition. I plugged in Missile Command, turned it on, and damned if it didn't work! In fact, it was in better electronic condition than many other 2600s I've purchased (no problems with the switches, RF cable was fine, etc.). So what does all this mean? It means Atari hardware is highly maggot-resistant. Can Nintendo or Micro$oft boast that about their consoles? I think not. Moreover, it means that Atari hardware is quite durable. [sigh] the things I do for this hobby...

-Set Abominae

Ain't no mountain high enough, ain't no valley low enough, ain't no maggot dead enough... Okay, I'll behave myself.

quote:

Originally posted by Adrian M:

Actually, sometimes I'll come across a used game cart that reeks of stale cigarette smoke. Nasty.

Worse still is when you win something on eBay, open up the package and the whole thing reeks of cigarette smoke. And I absolutely despise cigarette smoke. I haven't yet started asking sellers, "Does this item stink to high heaven of cigarette smoke??"

..Al

I have a few interesting carts as well...

1. 7800 Joust with one corner broken and rattling around inside, game works well though.

2. 2600 Target Fun that appears to have been shot! Lots of small bb gun size holes, works great.

3. My Sears picture label Blackjack I just got this past weekend appears to have a combination of mud and cherry pie filling on the label, I believe I can restore this one fairly well however.

4. Not Atari, but for my NES, I have a Baseball Stars 2 cart where the board inside was not screwed down at all, I was able to pry the board out (without breaking the case), jam it into my top loader, and enjoy the baseball goodness with no problem

quote:

Originally posted by Albert:

Worse still is when you win something on eBay, open up the package and the whole thing reeks of cigarette smoke. And I absolutely despise cigarette smoke. I haven't yet started asking sellers, "Does this item stink to high heaven of cigarette smoke??"

..Al

2 or 3 weeks ago I won carts on eBay that smell as cigarettes. I asked the seller, if he smokes, he said: Yes, a lot. Why?

I Said: The package smells so.

Michael