IGNORED

Just bought a Flashback 2! They're at Walmart!

How does the audio/video look? does it look alright?

Thats ashame about the quadrun and no voice.. I so wanted to rock the dorms with Quadrun, Quadrun, Quadrun!

902534[/snapback]

Well, I went and hooked it up to another TV. The audio/video look great on the Atari original games that I tried (except for sound issues with Haunted House and Quadrun), and feel very much like playing it on an original Atari system. However, I'm disappointed in the flicker and appearance on some of the "new" games. I was really looking forward to Yar's Return, but it flickers so bad it actually has double-images. Caverns of Mars is another one that flickers badly. Adventure II will probably require you to turn up the brightness or contrast on your TV- the background is very dark and hard to see your character. Pitfall and River Raid looks and sounds great, but to me, it seemed that River Raid scrolls quicker than it does on the original cartridge(no I don't have the joystick stuck in the up position). I will have time later to play each game more extensively.

902541[/snapback]

No Quadrun voice??? Very odd, haven't seen that problem and I just recieve a sample pull of 10 units from a Walmart order for Q/A'ing Water Kingdom is ADV2 is off, checking why the green is dark, it should be 3 shades brighter, only the Hedge Kindgom should look darkish to give the effect of being in a forest-type kingdom...

As for flickering, Yar's Return has so much going on, on the screen it wasn't easy getting some much action and not have the usual flickering, CoM, again has flickering in certain sections.

Curt

902588[/snapback]

Well, I tried the other Flashback system that I bought, and that one also has no voice on Quadrun. The gameplay seems intact, though. Could there have been a bad batch of FB2 systems prduced?

I'm slightly disappointed, but not put out. :ponder: From the looks of it, I might to better to wait until the various problems are remedied before I jump to make a buy anyways.

902611[/snapback]

Please understand, I don't want to come off negative about the FB2. Despite some of my disappointing initial observations about the FB2, I urge everyone to go out and buy one (or two like I did)- it really is a neat system, and we need to show the new "Atari" that there is a market for these classic games.

Please understand, I don't want to come off negative about the FB2.  Despite some of my disappointing initial observations about the FB2, I urge everyone to go out and buy one (or two like I did)- it really is a neat system, and we need to show the new "Atari" that there is a market for  these classic games.

902622[/snapback]

I, for one, am undissuaded in my plan to get one to mod when they show up in a local store. I'm hoping to put a cartridge-modded FB2 up as a door prize at a friend's LAN party in September...

I know I'll get at least one or two of these eventually... Atari need not be worried about that; I just want to know that all the bugs are worked out before I do make my final purchase(s).

:ponder: I'd be even more persuaded once we have some in depth reviews of the "new" games, their replay value, etc... with pics and ideas about the gameplay.

BTW, Thanks NE1 for starting this thread... it's one in a while (besides homebrew stuff) that I have much interest in. ;) I only wish I still live quick-by in your area... I'd still nab up one of those bad boys! :D

[edit]

BTW, I called another department store in the area. They told me that they will have the Flashback 2.0 on the shelves on the 8th.

Edited by mojofltr

No Quadrun voice???  Very odd, haven't seen that problem and I just recieve a sample pull of 10 units from a Walmart order for Q/A'ing    Water Kingdom is ADV2 is off, checking why the green is dark, it should be 3 shades brighter, only the Hedge Kindgom should look darkish to give the effect of being in a forest-type kingdom...

As for flickering, Yar's Return has so much going on, on the screen it wasn't easy getting some much action and not have the usual flickering, CoM, again has flickering in certain sections.

Curt

902588[/snapback]

Hmmm..what about where he said that the sound effects on Haunted House were off? This must be a mistake on HIS part, right? :?

My wife was going out to our Super Walmart, so I got her to check for me. And...they didn't have the FB2. I live close to Pittsburgh, PA. I have a $10 Walmart gift card that's been burning a hole in my wallet and this is just the opportunity I've been waiting for! Too bad I have to keep waiting.

As I mentioned before, I really like the feel of these new FB2 joysticks, so I tried again to use them on an original 2600, and being real careful, was able to squeeze the plug into the controller port. I plugged in Frostbite and it was a blast to play with the new FB2 joystick- nice responsive control! I also tried to play the Pong game on the FB2 with a set of original paddles, and could not get it to work. The manual says that Pong supports Atari legacy paddles, but try as I might, could not get them to work at all. I tried both controller ports and I tried the Coleco Gemini joystick/paddle combo, and could not get it to work, although the Coleco controller jack fit the FB2 port nicely. This could be a problem for those (like me) who want to mod the FB2 with a cart port to play Kaboom! What am I doing wrong, Curt?

tofu-farting Vovlo set

902757[/snapback]

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Now that you don't hear everyday!

Seriously, what was the release date for the new flashback? I thought it was later in the year? and I wonder why WalMarts in some areas have them and not others? Has anybody gotten one from somewhere other than WalMart????

I wonder why WalMarts in some areas have them and not others?

902784[/snapback]

Give the drivers time :) Im gonna check the 2 walmart locations tomorrow in coral springs, if they have them I will pick you up 1 and then cancel my QVC order :)

Edited by ATARIeric

As I mentioned before, I really like the feel of these new FB2 joysticks, so I tried again to use them on an original 2600, and being real careful, was able to squeeze the plug into the controller port.  I plugged in Frostbite and it was a blast to play with the new FB2 joystick- nice responsive control!  I also tried to play the Pong game on the FB2 with a set of original paddles, and could not get it to work.  The manual says that Pong supports Atari legacy paddles, but try as I might, could not get them to work at all.  I tried both controller ports and I tried the Coleco Gemini joystick/paddle combo, and could not get it to work, although the Coleco controller jack fit the FB2 port nicely.  This could be a problem for those (like me) who want to mod the FB2 with a cart port to play Kaboom!  What am I doing wrong, Curt?

902751[/snapback]

Which Walmart in Milwaukee? I'll buy one to check out another in the batch and return it.

For what its worth, I tried legacy controllers in the demo unit I have right now (that I've been taking pictures of for the online manual) and didn't have that problem. Maybe its something with the Walmart batch?

As I mentioned before, I really like the feel of these new FB2 joysticks, so I tried again to use them on an original 2600, and being real careful, was able to squeeze the plug into the controller port.   I plugged in Frostbite and it was a blast to play with the new FB2 joystick- nice responsive control!   I also tried to play the Pong game on the FB2 with a set of original paddles, and could not get it to work.   The manual says that Pong supports Atari legacy paddles, but try as I might, could not get them to work at all.  I tried both controller ports and I tried the Coleco Gemini joystick/paddle combo, and could not get it to work, although the Coleco controller jack fit the FB2 port nicely.   This could be a problem for those (like me) who want to mod the FB2 with a cart port to play Kaboom!   What am I doing wrong, Curt?

902751[/snapback]

Which Walmart in Milwaukee? I'll buy one to check out another in the batch and return it.

For what its worth, I tried legacy controllers in the demo unit I have right now (that I've been taking pictures of for the online manual) and didn't have that problem. Maybe its something with the Walmart batch?

902827[/snapback]

I got mine at the Walmart on 27th Street in Franklin/Oak Creek (just north of Rawson) They had one left on the shelf after I bought my 2. I don't know if they had any more in back. Let me know!

Which Walmart in Milwaukee?  I'll buy one to check out another in the batch and return it.

For what its worth, I tried legacy controllers in the demo unit I have right now (that I've been taking pictures of for the online manual) and didn't have that problem.  Maybe its something with the Walmart batch?

902827[/snapback]

I got mine at the Walmart on 27th Street in Franklin/Oak Creek (just north of Rawson) They had one left on the shelf after I bought my 2. I don't know if they had any more in back. Let me know!

902831[/snapback]

Ehh, thats the complete other side of town from me (I'm in the northshore area). I'll try the one by Brown Deer Road first. My car isnt doing that great and I'd hate to ride all the way down to Oak Creek just to find out they were out.

Select the Pong game, when it loads, plug in your paddle controllers, use the select button to select 1player or 2player mode. Then press the fire button on the player 1 paddle and turn the knob up until the player 1 paddle appears, it starts at the bottom of the play area below the line of sight of the screen and you need you turn it up onto the playfield.

Also checked with the factory, the chip manf. ran a small initial batch of an earlier ver. of the chip that was missing a sound channel element, the error was picked up and the correct gds was supplied to the chip manf and everything else has the corrected audio. So what you may see is some of the very first units to hit the shelves first may have a chance of containing the earlier rev. In one sense you can say, well I'll wait, but if its something that isn't going to bother you overall, think of it from a collectors standpoint that a small handful of units are unique.

Curt

As I mentioned before, I really like the feel of these new FB2 joysticks, so I tried again to use them on an original 2600, and being real careful, was able to squeeze the plug into the controller port.  I plugged in Frostbite and it was a blast to play with the new FB2 joystick- nice responsive control!  I also tried to play the Pong game on the FB2 with a set of original paddles, and could not get it to work.  The manual says that Pong supports Atari legacy paddles, but try as I might, could not get them to work at all.  I tried both controller ports and I tried the Coleco Gemini joystick/paddle combo, and could not get it to work, although the Coleco controller jack fit the FB2 port nicely.  This could be a problem for those (like me) who want to mod the FB2 with a cart port to play Kaboom!  What am I doing wrong, Curt?

902751[/snapback]

Which Walmart in Milwaukee?  I'll buy one to check out another in the batch and return it.

For what its worth, I tried legacy controllers in the demo unit I have right now (that I've been taking pictures of for the online manual) and didn't have that problem.  Maybe its something with the Walmart batch?

902827[/snapback]

902831[/snapback]

Ehh, thats the complete other side of town from me (I'm in the northshore area). I'll try the one by Brown Deer Road first. My car isnt doing that great and I'd hate to ride all the way down to Oak Creek just to find out they were out.

902836[/snapback]

Call first- if they have one in stock, they will hold it for you in the layaway department- they did it for me

Select the Pong game, when it loads, plug in your paddle controllers, use the select button to select 1player or 2player mode.    Then press the fire button on the player 1 paddle and turn the knob up until the player 1 paddle appears, it starts at the bottom of the play area below the line of sight of the screen and you need you turn it up onto the playfield.

Also checked with the factory, the chip manf. ran a small initial batch of an earlier ver. of the chip that was missing a sound channel element, the error was picked up and the correct gds was supplied to the chip manf and everything else has the corrected audio.    So what you may see is some of the very first units to hit the shelves first may have a chance of containing the earlier rev.  In one sense you can say, well I'll wait, but if its something that isn't going to bother you overall, think of it from a collectors standpoint that a small handful of units are unique.

Curt

Thanks, Curt, but I, too, would like a perfect Flashback. Are there any serial numbers anywhere on the units that could confirm if I have the ones with the sound defect? If so, could they just send me replacement boards for it? Can you check to see if the units with the sound defects are missing the Quadrun voice, for example? If so, then I have 2 of the defective ones...

Nope, no way for you to tell... the only thing I can tell you is it was several thousand from the first run of units from the initial 100K units made, so you may want to consider waiting until other retailers get theirs and then you'll wind up with the later ones.

Curt

Select the Pong game, when it loads, plug in your paddle controllers, use the select button to select 1player or 2player mode.    Then press the fire button on the player 1 paddle and turn the knob up until the player 1 paddle appears, it starts at the bottom of the play area below the line of sight of the screen and you need you turn it up onto the playfield.

Also checked with the factory, the chip manf. ran a small initial batch of an earlier ver. of the chip that was missing a sound channel element, the error was picked up and the correct gds was supplied to the chip manf and everything else has the corrected audio.    So what you may see is some of the very first units to hit the shelves first may have a chance of containing the earlier rev.  In one sense you can say, well I'll wait, but if its something that isn't going to bother you overall, think of it from a collectors standpoint that a small handful of units are unique.

Curt

Thanks, Curt, but I, too, would like a perfect Flashback. Are there any serial numbers anywhere on the units that could confirm if I have the ones with the sound defect? If so, could they just send me replacement boards for it? Can you check to see if the units with the sound defects are missing the Quadrun voice, for example? If so, then I have 2 of the defective ones...

902923[/snapback]

they took out all of our Normal walmarts and replaced them with stuper centers...I hate those! the closest supercenter is now 3 miles away unless I learn how to fly then its only 1 something mile away...the next is nearly 15... the layout of the parking lot of the close one is a nightmare, the building and parking lot are brand new, theres no exucse for poor design.

the old non-supercenter was in biking distance and was not so crouded ect.