IGNORED

Stella at 20: DVD Release Petition

jaybird3rd

Which volume would have interviews from Carol Shaw? River Raid's my favorite game of all time, if it's volume 1 I'd like to buy that VHS tape from Hozer.

943178[/snapback]

Volume 2.

Volume 1 is a round table discussion and focuses more on the creation of the 2600. On the back end of Volume 1 there is an interview with Doug Neubauer. Volume 2 focuses more on the game developers.

Is there anyplace that volume 2 is available? I contacted Hozer, and all Randy had was vol 1.

943324[/snapback]

AFAIK Volume 2 sold out.

943384[/snapback]

And AFAIK Volume 2 sold out years ago. I bought Volume 1 from Randy in 2003 and he didn't have 2 then. He may not have had it at all or if he did, not for long.

And AFAIK Volume 2 sold out years ago.  I bought Volume 1 from Randy in 2003 and he didn't have 2 then.  He may not have had it at all or if he did, not for long.

Randy had very few Volume 2's. I was able to get another one from him before he sold out of those.

Whenever the DVDs are finished (maybe there will be bonus footage) I'll buy them. If it will cost a ton of money, it might take me a while, but I will buy them. DVDs aren't perfect, but they are much better than videotapes. I'm pretty much done with VCRs. Some day I'm going to buy one of those DVD recorders so I can record important shows and rescue some things that are on tape.

See this 20 dollars in my hand here? (Of course you dont, but play along). This 20 bucks could be winging its way to you RIGHT now, if you had the DVD ready to go. I would buy in a hot sec - I loved Once Upon Atari, and the other video game documentaries I've gotten my hands on, so this would be just the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I got a chance to look over volume 1 - and why it's occasionaly a bit dry (when talking about chip sets early on),...

951780[/snapback]

Actually, I found that bit about the chips, to be fairly interesting, especially how the TIA makes sound from the hardware point of view and the shortcuts they took in order to keep chip prices down.

Actually, I found that bit about the chips, to be fairly interesting, especially how the TIA makes sound from the hardware point of view and the shortcuts they took in order to keep chip prices down.

951794[/snapback]

I'd be very interested in seeing these things, but I wouldn't want to deprive someone else of a copy. So I hope the DVD comes out soon so then I can buy my own.

• 1 year later...

It's been a long time since I logged on. Apparently I'm not the only one excited for a DVD release!

Summer, eh?

I can dig that. Summer "to do" Fall to release?

One can hope! :D

Later

Buck

i have access to a betaSP VCR. I'd love to watch an SP copy.

I won't sic the cops after you if you do this behind the scenes, but I really don't want this to be the way people see it on DVD.

I shot this stuff on a broadcast quality BetaSP camera that was worth tens of thousands of dollars. If you ever saw the footage directly coming out of a BetaSP VCR, the colors pop out, the detail is outstanding. It's a kick-ass video format. Better than DVD or MiniDV. No MPEG blockiness. Even after the quality loss of hitting the ToasterFlyer VTASC codec it beats the crap out of VHS.

The plan is to re-digitize from the original Beta SP source tapes, and end up with new digital 10-bit uncompressed masters after we're done editing. From there, we'll be encoding straight to MPEG2 for the DVDs, so there will be as little quality loss as possible. Of course, when you're crunching video down that much, you're going to lose something, but it will look far better than the VHS tapes did.

• 7 months later...
The plan is to re-digitize from the original Beta SP source tapes, and end up with new digital 10-bit uncompressed masters after we're done editing. From there, we'll be encoding straight to MPEG2 for the DVDs, so there will be as little quality loss as possible. Of course, when you're crunching video down that much, you're going to lose something, but it will look far better than the VHS tapes did.

What ever happened with this? Any chance of it being available this year yet for the 30th anniversary?

• 1 year later...

Just bumping this to bring it to the front.

The last blog entry on progress dates back to July 28, 2007.

This really needs to get done. I'm willing to help. I took Multimedia Integration (sound, video and photography) production and editing classes in college and now work full time as a web/graphics designer (16+ years experience). I could also help make some box art and cool menus, etc.

As an added bonus I have equipment to make DVD copies (10 at a time), so I could get some quantity out pretty quickly. I also have a friend who works at a "mom and pop" video store, so I could get some empty DVD cases to use as well to help with keeping costs down.

Edited by seanhq

• 2 years later...