IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 11: Dragster

Ze_ro

Important note: This weeks competition is over. If you still wish to discuss this game, then feel free to do so, but no further scores will be accepted. Thanks to everyone for all their contributions! Please join in on the latest High Score Club competition!

Strap yourself in, and get ready for the green light. It's time to put the pedal to the metal and burn rubber down the quarter mile. Speed is the name of the game, and you'll have to push your engine to the absolute limit in order to win, because this week's game is Dragster!

Game Information

• Game Name: Dragster
  • Released By: Activision, 1980
  • Left Difficulty: No Effect
  • Right Difficulty: No Effect
  • Game Mode: Game 1 - Straight-ahead Dragster
  • Chosen By: Goochman

Post your scores right here in this thread, and I will add them to the list. Remember to play the game with the recommended game mode and difficulty settings as shown above so that your scores will be consistent with everyone elses. The deadline for posting scores will be approximately Tuesday, Oct 4th at 1:30 AM (CST). In case you haven't already done so, please read the High Score Club rules. There is other useful information contained in that previous link, including a list of previous High Score Club games!

As before, next week's game will be chosen by the next person in the member list, which happens to be mikeftrevino! Please send me a private message with your choice of game for next week!

If you are not a member of the High Score Club, but would like to be, then all you have to do is post a score for this week's game, and I'll add you to the list!

Current Best Times

• 5.61 (D.Yancey) [+11]
    5.61 (the 5th ghost) [+11]
  • 5.64 (Christophero Sly) [+10]
  • 5.74 (Thomas Jentzsch) [+9]
  • 5.81 (keilbaca) [+8]
  • 5.84 (sku_u) [+7]
  • 5.87 (LarcenTyler) [+6]
  • 5.91 (Malc74) [+5]
  • 5.97 (Numan) [+4]
  • 6.07 (vdub_bobby) [+3]
    6.07 (SpiceWare) [+3]
  • 6.14 (Goochman) [+2]
  • 6.24 (arlo) [+1]
    6.24 (video game addict) [+1]
  • 6.34 (shadow460) [+1]
    6.34 (silverpoodleman) [+1]
    6.34 (supercat) [+1]
  • 6.51 (scogey) [+1]
  • 6.54 (Gamemaster_ca_2003) [+1]
  • 6.71 (Atarifever) [+1]
  • 7.18 (Keir) [+1]
  • DNF (khryssun) [+1]

Best Tips

• D.Yancey [+2]

Bounties and Challenges

• World Class Dragster Club - Beat 6 seconds and get 2 bonus points.
    • D.Yancey, the 5th ghost, Christophero Sly, Thomas Jentzsch, keilbaca, sku_u, LarcenTyler, Malc74, Numan [+2]

TwinGalaxies Top 3

(Game 1, Difficulty B)
  1. 05.510 (Todd Rogers)
  2. 05.610 (David B Yancey)
  3. 05.740 (Wolff K Morrow)

Current Standings

1. Coming Soon!

Member List

mikeftrevino, StanJr, Osbo, Numan, vdub_bobby, Dones, Gamemaster_ca_2003, awsomo3000, Voch, Stingray, scogey, Bubbledragon, video game addict, pitfallaimee, Blackjack, racer raul, SpiceWare, Robert M, Lord Helmet, Lord Thag, Mad Scientist, Dan Iacovelli, iguana, Luigi301, Gateway, Damon Plus, gospeedde, Kepone, internetotaku, panda_racer, KaeruYojimbo, cyberneticimplant, bjk7382, davepesc, neotokeo2001, xeex, bmlbytes, Omegamatrix, the 5th ghost, Xebec's Demise, khryssun, vgcollector666, chadtower, moycon, Malc74, shadow460, Atarifever, Keir, supercat, FireTiger, Philflound, Fellow Atari Man, keilbaca, brendano, Cybergoth, durden26, sku_u, mitsubachi, arlo, Recycled, LarcenTyler, silverpoodleman, 128bytes, Goochman

Scoring Points in Dragster

You do not score points in Dragster, rather you are judged based on the time it took to complete the run. Getting the best time requires you to shift at the proper times without blowing your engine. See the manual for more info.

Hints and Tips

As always, you really should read the manual.

What's that? You don't have the manual? Well, AtariAge happens to have both a scanned copy and a typed version of it online for your reading pleasure. Here are the tips the manual provides:

- The key to World Class times in Dragster is training your reflexes to clutch and shift quickly, accelerating at maximum power in each gear without blowing your engine. Call it racing shifting, if you like, but it's the only way you'll get your speed down under seven seconds.

- There are a couple of tricks that are not so obvious. For example, put the clutch in during the last numbers of the countdown, hold it in, rev up (careful) and pop the clutch by letting go of the Joystick the instant the screen reads 0.

- Then you should try to rev your engine to keep the tach in the red as you go through all four gears (without blowing your engine). You've got to keep your revs up for speed.

- If you drop out of the red in any gear (and particularly in third or fourth), try tapping the Joystick quickly to the left a few times ("popping the clutch") to get added acceleration.

- Do a wheelie? Sure, go ahead. When your front wheels come up off the road, you're getting maximum acceleration. But watch out! Push the gas too hard and you'll blow!

If your RPMs are too high as you near the end of a run, you can avoid a blowout and coast the final few pixels to the finish line by releasing the throttle and engaging the clutch.
The part about starting in 2nd gear is just a matter of getting out of 1st gear ASAP. You actually still begin in 1st when you pop the clutch, but you shift to 2nd as quickly as is possible for you. I usually let 2nd rev as highly as possible to shift to 3rd without letting off the button. The red line will peak out during the shift and fall back dramatically. As soon as that wheelie hits the ground, I'm shifting to 4th. I don't let 3rd wind out at all, but I don't try to skip it completely either. Then my 4th gear is just as many quick crisp taps as will fit without blowing the engine, letting the wheelie hit the ground between each tap.
Expanding on D. Yancey's tips... tapping the shifter in 4th gear (popping of wheelie) in order to maximize your RPMs is the critical factor in scoring low times. Try to make 4 - 6 taps, taking your RPMs as close to blowout as you dare.
How long are you running 2nd gear?

Just long enough so that I can shift to 3rd without blowing the engine while the clutch is in. So it depends on how responsive you joystick is and how quickly you can shift.

After I shift from 2nd into 3rd I don't really listen to the RPM's. As soon as the 3rd gear wheelie hits the ground, I slap it into 4th and start tapping. I usually get 6 or 7 4th gear taps on my best runs, but I've gotten in 8 before. We're talking quick taps with a firm/tight joystick. The quality of the stick is paramount when you've gotten to this level of play.

Good luck everyone!

--Ze_ro

6.24...I think the thing I like most about HSC is that some weeks I discover gems I've either neglected or never played, and other weeks I find games that I should never buy :) I am obviously not patient enough for this, I keep blowing out or running early.

post-7308-1127799429_thumb.jpg