IGNORED

HSC Season 3 Week 11: Dragster

Ze_ro

How long are you running 2nd gear?

Just long enough so that I can shift to 3rd without blowing the engine while the clutch is in. So it depends on how responsive you joystick is and how quickly you can shift. You must be lightning fast. This is probably how Todd beats us. His reflexes are sooo fast. That's how he can score so well on games like Decathlon.

:-o

Where does it auto-shift? At max RPMs?

Yes. The best thing is that the engine cannot blow up. There is a link to it in this thread. Download it and give it a try. It is worth playing. Very interesting. It takes a very different strategy than real Dragster actually. There are more ways than 1 to cheat in that hack! ;)

How do you do that? I was able to tie my score once... but not improve. However I did improve in Decathlon in the 100m dash... 9.94 ;)

940636[/snapback]

I pretty much follow the tips given. The important tip for me was waiting for the front wheel to land before going into 4th. Then doing the taps, letting the front wheel touch down between each tap like D.Yancey suggests.

Also, as Christophero Sly mentioned, you should engage the clutch and release the fire button simultaneously when you hear the revs max out before blowing up at the end of the race. In other words, when the race is over, the "C" should be showing, istead of "4" for your gears.

Keep at it, you'll get your breakthrough, and congrats on the Decathlon time! I was always an average Decathlete, so I'm always impressed with those that can take that game to a higher level :)

Edited by the 5th ghost

Keep at it, you'll get your breakthrough, and congrats on the Decathlon time! I was always an average Decathlete, so I'm always impressed with those that can take that game to a higher level  :)

940833[/snapback]

Thanks, although I have a long way to go to catch up to Todd.

I'll play it tonight and see what I can do.

Just long enough so that I can shift to 3rd without blowing the engine while the clutch is in.  So it depends on how responsive you joystick is and how quickly you can shift.  You must be lightning fast.  This is probably how Todd beats us.  His reflexes are sooo fast.  That's how he can score so well on games like Decathlon.

Aha... interesting. I usually try to max second. How long do you run third then? I try to skip it entirely, get to fourth and start tapping.

I agree, Todd must have reflexes on the order of milliseconds, but there are still some things that puzzle me about his technique.

YES YES YES YES!

5.81!

EDIT: I am going to record the score to video tape, then take a pic of it when I get the cam on monday (I accidently forgot to record this one, I have a 5.84 on tape)

Edited by keilbaca

Just long enough so that I can shift to 3rd without blowing the engine while the clutch is in.  So it depends on how responsive you joystick is and how quickly you can shift.  You must be lightning fast.  This is probably how Todd beats us.  His reflexes are sooo fast.  That's how he can score so well on games like Decathlon.

Aha... interesting. I usually try to max second. How long do you run third then? I try to skip it entirely, get to fourth and start tapping.

I agree, Todd must have reflexes on the order of milliseconds, but there are still some things that puzzle me about his technique.

940854[/snapback]

After I shift from 2nd into 3rd I don't really listen to the RPM's. As soon as the 3rd gear wheelie hits the ground, I slap it into 4th and start tapping. I usually get 6 or 7 4th gear taps on my best runs, but I've gotten in 8 before. We're talking quick taps with a firm/tight joystick. The quality of the stick is paramount when you've gotten to this level of play.

Well well well! D.Yancey...5.61

You are right about the joystick. I tried a different stick (CX-40) and got this time immediately. The one I was using wasn't as tight.

If I break the 5.5x's I'll s**t my pants. :ponder:

941199[/snapback]

OMG!!! Sweet score 5th Ghost. I guess you now know everything I know and it only took you a week to get this score. I'm guessing you will get in the 5.5x's and I will have to bow to your superior abilities. :D :cool: :D

Well well well! D.Yancey...5.61

You are right about the joystick. I tried a different stick (CX-40) and got this time immediately. The one I was using wasn't as tight.

If I break the 5.5x's I'll shit my pants. :ponder:

941199[/snapback]

Nice! I'm thoroughly impressed that you've mastered this game in less than a week. It took me months to break into the 5.6x's. Congratulations!

I've tried all evening to improve my score. I've run countless 5.64s, but I just can't seem to do any better.

Nice!  I'm thoroughly impressed that you've mastered this game in less than a week.  It took me months to break into the 5.6x's.  Congratulations!

I've tried all evening to improve my score.  I've run countless 5.64s, but I just can't seem to do any better.

941226[/snapback]

Thank you! Of course, you are capable of the 5.61 as well. I know you'll hit it again, maybe better.

I only hit 5.61 this one time, so perhaps some luck was involved, but I hope I can do it again. I've only hit 5.64 twice in all the games I played, so these low 5.6x scores come by seldom for me. I wish I could claim to run countless 5.64s! But, I certainly have come a long way in a short amount of time. Now Ii know what it feels like to be on the verge of a 5.5x time!