IGNORED

Soul Star

edsongodoy

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

The broken version in all its incarnations has been floating around the internet for years. I have a fully working version albeit with some videos that have artifacts. Due to a few haters and jealous people in the 'scene' any release would be met with a c&d. There has been rumours, (read) bullshit, from a banned ex aa user that he has a fully working version too.

• Like 8

I have a fully working version albeit with some videos that have artifacts. Due to a few haters and jealous people in the 'scene' any release would be met with a c&d.

I'm glad there's at least a working version, even if it can't be shared. Would have loved to have this gem as I've played (and hacked) the Sega CD version to death over the years. Too bad it's being blocked by whoever but hoping someday to play. Great info, I can stop wondering how progress was/is coming along :P

Man I had forgotten about this game.

You know you would think that lack of interest would almost be permission. Remember once calling Electronic Arts in the hopes of getting another copy of Return of Heracles for the Atari 800 Computer. Our copy had worn through. They just laughed at me "We don't make games for Atari" which was true in 1998. I asked if I could speak to someone in their archive division and they just responded "I'm pretty sure we have never made a game for Atari."

Now that is just one man at Electronic Arts being a dumbass. Of course Electronic Arts made games for the Atari computers. If I went around making copies of Return of Heracles chances are some lawyer when they are auditing some year would look out and say "Hey, I see in our records we own Return of Heracles let's go after that guy" and then issue a cease and desist.

To summarize unless you get written permission from the property owner to use a property, there is a chance it will come back to haunt you later.

Edited by doctorclu

According to the jag64payments.pdf core were paid $120,000 to do the game.

So they were paid a lot of scratch to NOT finish or release a product... great! All the more reason for them not to care what's done to it now. 11 years *after* they said they didn't care when they spoke to Carl. :lol:

A company that's trying to protect their IP, don't they get ahold of the "offender" first with a warning? My understanding is that you're given a chance to cease and cooperate first. If you don't comply, *that's* when the court gets involved...

Here is a good article I found:

http://apps.americanbar.org/buslaw/blt/2006-05-06/wilcox.shtml

All and all for small timers like us, it sounds like more than likely you would get the C&D letter due to the cost involved of going to court. But that other option is out there to simply file.

I think a company would be nuts to jump to that, no way they would recoop the money. Unless they wanted to make an example of people (Metallica going after fans distributing mp3's of their music come to mind.)

So they were paid a lot of scratch to NOT finish or release a product... great! All the more reason for them not to care what's done to it now. 11 years *after* they said they didn't care when they spoke to Carl. :lol:

:) Well somewhat true. They did finish a product. Was their company going to release the game, or would that have been Atari or some other company? In other words, did Core make good on finishing a product and the company that paid them didn't release at that point?

If so, what a waste!

As i said when i had the answers back from various Ex-Core design people at the time, whom i contacted regarding how it might be possible to see the Jag CD version of Soul star released someday...many months ago, it's simply not going to happen.

It's a long and boring story to go back into but if nothing else the I.P rights for Europe differ from those of North america and the holders of been bought out by others and so on and so on.

If you want to play a nicer looking version than the Mega CD version..are there not MCD emulators on PC with filters etc you can turn on or something?.

It's not my area and as an ex-owner of the MCD original, i never found it a patch on Thunderhawk or Blast Corps, so not something i personally have much love for.

• Like 1

As i said when i had the answers back from various Ex-Core design people at the time, whom i contacted regarding how it might be possible to see the Jag CD version of Soul star released someday...many months ago, it's simply not going to happen.

It's a long and boring story to go back into but if nothing else the I.P rights for Europe differ from those of North america and the holders of been bought out by others and so on and so on.

If you want to play a nicer looking version than the Mega CD version..are there not MCD emulators on PC with filters etc you can turn on or something?.

It's not my area and as an ex-owner of the MCD original, i never found it a patch on Thunderhawk or Blast Corps, so not something i personally have much love for.

The thing is that people want to rescue this port from obscurity

I can fully appreciate the desire people have to rescue this port, even if it's not something i personally liked on it's original format, but there is simply no escaping the way the industry works these days.

It's not as simple as getting in touch with Jeremy Heath-Smith (not that he ever replies to emails as is) or anyone else from Core design that was, explaining the situation, how niche the Jaguar sector is, etc etc.....

As he now longer holds the I.P rights for the game and, if my memory serves from replies i had back in, he'd only of had European rights, USA side another kettle of fish.

In the many years since the Jaguar era, I.P rights to Core Design's line up changed hands so many times to the point where even the original creators of Rick dangerous are unable to write the third game they still badly want to do.

• Like 1

@doctorclu:

Regarding who would of made the decision to release the product or not...
Andrew Smith was interviewed back in early '95 talked of the Jaguar Soulstar conversion and how the coders found it a difficult task to learn the hardware and try and get game finished for it's deadline, along with how they ported main code from Mega CD version to the Jaguar version so i guess he'd be the best person to ask, as he'd know the details of any/all contracts drawn up between Core and Atari for the conversion.
He also said Core should of been able to do a cartridge version of Soulstar (comprimised of course in key areas to fit) and it'd be Atari's decision to do so, but if they decided they wanted Soulstar on cart, Core were confident they could do a decent conversion of it.
So it looks like Atari were the ones calling the shots here and again i'd guess it was up to them to decide what to do with the project, along with deciding if it was worth finishing and releasing given state of Jaguar at retail.

I can fully appreciate the desire people have to rescue this port, even if it's not something i personally liked on it's original format, but there is simply no escaping the way the industry works these days.

It's not as simple as getting in touch with Jeremy Heath-Smith (not that he ever replies to emails as is) or anyone else from Core design that was, explaining the situation, how niche the Jaguar sector is, etc etc.....

As he now longer holds the I.P rights for the game and, if my memory serves from replies i had back in, he'd only of had European rights, USA side another kettle of fish.

In the many years since the Jaguar era, I.P rights to Core Design's line up changed hands so many times to the point where even the original creators of Rick dangerous are unable to write the third game they still badly want to do.

That's something i wanted to know,who owns Core design ips?