IGNORED

Greetings from Pittsburgh, and I've got a question for the p

Britboy

Hey all, my first post. Sorry if this has been asked a squillion times already, but I'm confused about it. Do the Sega Genesis controllers work on the 2600 or not? I've read they do, but also read that you have to modify them. I'm mechanically challenged, so I don't want to bother buying a Genesis gamepad if it won't work. Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard. Where in Pittsburgh are you from? I lived in Pittsburgh for about 5 years. There are some great flea markets that I miss. Anyway, sega controllers do work in the Atari, but the buttons are reversed in other words they don't register until you release the button. So you would have to modify them to register when you press down instead. My thinking is: why bother, joysticks work just as good.

Welcome Britboy, as far as the controller goes I would just buy one from ebay if you don't have a working one for your system, they only run about $4-6 bucks each, or you can go to WorldofAtari.com, they have a lot of atari items for sale. Welcome once again.

If you're looking for a pro, you've come to the right place for I am the Gaming Scientist!

Yes, Genesis controllers will indeed work (check my other responses as I have answered this question more than once). You must use the B button to fire.

My suggestion is to go to Funcoland or Gamestop and find a nice genuine Sega 6 button controller for $4.99. While you won't need all six buttons, the D pad is nicer and a bit looser than the standard 3 button model.

Thanks all.

LOL Atariken, sorry to hear you live out by Robinson; good luck with that whole Fort Pitt Bridge thing!!!!!

I am indeed a fairly recent collector, and I can't believe Philly Classic is scheduled for next week. I didn't know, so now I have an exam scheduled that Saturday. Argh! I would have been THERE!!! I could have gotten a decent cheesesteak while out there!

I live in Pittsburgh too -- well, out east past Monroeville to be exact. I used to live in Shadyside for a while.

I have been to Johnstown many times, used to frequent the Richland Mall there in the 80's as a kid, they had 2 great arcades in there! And over the hill was Showtime Pizza and that freaking incredible arcade.

Lots of us in the same area -- either the world is getting smaller or Pennsylvania breeds Atari fans.

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

I live in Pittsburgh too -- well, out east past Monroeville to be exact. I used to live in Shadyside for a while.

I have been to Johnstown many times, used to frequent the Richland Mall there in the 80's as a kid, they had 2 great arcades in there! And over the hill was Showtime Pizza and that freaking incredible arcade.

Lots of us in the same area -- either the world is getting smaller or Pennsylvania breeds Atari fans.

Wow, Richland Mall. They shut that down. The new mall (Galleria) next to the airport took all the business. Ah, the days. Remember "Time-out"? Hot Sam's?

Remember Ballinger's hobby store in the Richland mall? It had Pythons, Piranhas, gags like whoopy cushions and sneeze powder, and models. NO games though. I was in 6th grade through about 10th grade back then. Galleria's arcade was pretty poor last time I went there, but then again most arcades suck around here.

quote:

Originally posted by Cafeman:

Remember Ballinger's hobby store in the Richland mall? It had Pythons, Piranhas, gags like whoopy cushions and sneeze powder, and models. NO games though. I was in 6th grade through about 10th grade back then. Galleria's arcade was pretty poor last time I went there, but then again most arcades suck around here.

I think I remember referring to it as just "the pet store." I remember going there all the time with my Mom and grandma and eating at McDonalds. What was the name of the record store that was there?

Hey, wasn't the Monroeville Mall the setting for DAWN OF THE DEAD? It was the 1970's sequel to Night of the Living Dead and my god, Malls used to look STRANGE back in the 70's! They even sold GUNS in malls back then! Remarkable!!

Yes, Monroeville Mall was the setting for Dawn of the Dead. However, it has been renovated, so, if you watch the movie then walk into the mall you would not recognize a single thing!!

I am pretty sure there was never a gun shop in the Monroeville Mall, I think that was added to further the plot.

I might also add that I have been to the graveyard featured in the beginning of Night of the Living Dead. It is very difficult to find; I don't believe it is in use anymore. To find it you really just need to know someone that knows where it is I was there many years ago, at night, of course

Cafeman

Well, as I posted previously, I live east of Pittsburgh(Swissvale). How far past Monroeville? Murrysville? Delmont?

britboy

the ft pitt tunnel and/ir bridge doesnt really effect me since if you down 51 from mckees rocks you can by pass the whole thing, in fact i have NEVER used that death trap more than like 2 times ever,

i dontlive around robinson anymore i still ive around college which is an hour away but still in pa theres a goodwill where i found saturn games and even a boxes nes cart as well as some pc games but not too much but usualy when i have no $ the stuff will still sit there for weeks until i can buy it,

but i was hoping pittsburgh wasnt heavily populated with atarians, so i could be the only one and claim it all haha.

no im not going to philly i have to work . wish i could

Go to the weekend Great Valley Flea Market in North Versailles. There is a lady about 60 yrs old, Carolyn, who usually has a TON of classic gaming stuff. Her prices are rather steep, but still, it's so cool to walk into her area in that building and see all the Atari, Sega Master system, etc stuff. You never know what she'll have.

Cafeman

Irwin/N. Huntingdon area.  

That's interesting...that is where I grew up!

Did you grow up there? I went to Norwin High School(class of 1989). It sure would be strange if we found out that we actually went to school together

I live about 10 minutes from the Great Valley Flea Market in North Versailles. That lady has a lot of stuff, but, her prices are ridiculously high. You can actually find a lot of the same stuff cheaper on eBay.

It's off of route 30, in North versailles. Ask around, or use a map/travel program such as one found at Yahoo! online. You'll find it.

It's in the same building as Beer World. It's basically a plaza that really isn't used much any more. It feels like you've stepped into the 1970's when you walk into there!

Also, I didn't grow up here, I live here now because I work in Monroeville, so we didn't go to school together. I graduated 1986 at a school east of Indiana and Ebensburgh, PA.