IGNORED

Pengo question.

MattyXB

Hello,

I have get today a Pengo (NTSC) for the Atari VCS. I have test it and wonder, that its different from the ROM on Emulator. The ROM say 1983 in the titlescreen and it looks better. My game say 1984 in the titlescreen and its look not so good, but its not the Brick Kick, its Pengo.

And the 1 level is other (I have not try more). In the ROM you have only rows and in the real game there is total different.

What is the normale game?

Or is the ROM from a Prototype??????

Or have I get a different game.

In the Rarity list I have look and its the same. The lable say to 1984, but the ROM on Emulator say 1983.

Please help me

Matthias

Hello,

it was luck that I found it out, I have long search for Pengo, because is not release in PAL (or extremly Rare to get in PAL). So I have get an NTSC game.

But I have test the ROM often and so I was wonder as I start my game. Yes the Pengo Logo look better in the Prototype version (or what it is). I hate it too, that they don't release it with this Logo.

THX to Alex that you will dump your Pengo, this is great, then I can look if this is the game I have.

And THX for all who have answer.

Some more differents:

ROM: In the titlescreen and before the level beginn the penguin stand in the middle and walk.

No 2 Player modus.

The penguin look a bit different.

Have forget: You move very slow. Like the enemys.

Release: In the titlescreen and before the level start the penguin walk from the right to the left and back.

2 Player modus.

The penguin look a bit different.

You are faster as the enemys, so it easier to escape.

Matthias

[ 04-24-2001: Message edited by: MattyXB ]

I did a small comparison article on the two versions for the 2600 Connection, back in #31. There's a number of differences between the two, but as someone else noted, the ROM version that has been circulating around the net is the prototype.

I'm currently working on an interview with Mark Hahn, and one of the questions I asked him was why the detailed title screen was dropped- he said it was due to memory contraints (which is a shame since it's much better!). I'm guessing it was the same reason why the prototype version of Millipede looks much better than the release...

• 1 year later...

I am going to save this, the oldest thread I could find, from oblivion (I am such a hero, wouldn't you say?)

Also, I like Pengo, and think he stands for many fine virtues.

Go Pengo, run from those sno bees, and live dam you! LIVE!