IGNORED

Raiders: Good or Bad?

DuckandCover

I've read several statements about the 2600 game Raiders of the Lost Ark in my travels around the web, and I've noticed that opinions on the game seem to be very divided. People seem to either really adore the game, or they really, REALLY can't stand it.

I've always had mixed feelings about the cart myself. Back in the day, I was a big fan of adventure games, especially the old Scott Adams adventures. A friend of mine had the Adventureland cart for his VIC-20 and we burned a lot of time trying to obtain (and keep) all the treasures. I always felt like Raiders was an adventure game cut from this mold, translated to the 2600. As a sophisticated adventure game (for the time) I always felt that Raiders was quite an accomplishment for the 2600. I remember feeling a real sense of accomplishment when I finally finished digging away at that mound and reached the Lost Ark. As an adventure, the game was top notch.

I guess what disappointed me was the fact that, with a few exceptions, the cart didn't seem to have a lot to do with the movie on which it was based. Sure, there's the ark, the map room, the bullwhip, and if you really want to stretch it, the Egyptian marketplace. But the rest? Giant spiders? A guardian made of light? It seemed like it was an Indiana Jones game in name only.

I'm really curious to know the opinions of others.

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: duckandcover ]

Think of the game in its own right and you will find it is one of the better adventure and puzzle games on the 2600. The game was thought provoking and you had to use your brain. Also, you get a sense of accomplishment and reward when you finish the game. That makes it a good game and a bazillion times better than those horrendous Swordquest games which provides neither fun, accomplishment and especially reward.

I liked it as a kid. Would play the game for hours. Eventually wound up solving the thing...without the benefit of a help guide (Todays kids are spoiled!!!)

bergbros is right. I can remember feeling great when I dug and found the Ark!!! The feeling of accomplishment was awesome!

[ 04-29-2002: Message edited by: moycon ]

quote:

Originally posted by duckandcover:

I guess what disappointed me was the fact that, with a few exceptions, the cart didn't seem to have a lot to do with the movie on which it was based. Sure, there's the ark, the map room, the bullwhip, and if you really want to stretch it, the Egyptian marketplace. But the rest? Giant spiders? A guardian made of light? It seemed like it was an Indiana Jones game in name only.

I've always thought the exact opposite...that almost all of the game's elements symbolized parts of the movie (with the exception of the tsese flies...which were added to make those areas more challenging).

Spiders were seen in the beginning of the movie, as was "the shining light". The temple cave-in was also there...as well as the warning to the greedy. Small dark thieves represented the nazi shiek, and the small white thieves represented the workers digging in Tanis. The thief in the valley was kind of a cross between Bellach and Toth. The parachute represented the rope that was used to descend into the well of souls. The raving lunatic was remeniscent of the guy with the scimitar. Indy used a torch instead of a flute, but they both keep the snakes under control. I hate snakes, Doc!

I have always loved this game ever since I was a little boy and I think it has a lot of the movie story line in it or as much as they could put in a 2600 game and still make it fun and to this day its still on my top ten list of best atari games.

I definitely think Raiders is an awesome game, and is very well done, especially for it's time. It's definitely one of the top adventure games of the early 80's, alongside Adventure, and Treasure of Tarmin for the INTV.

--Zero