IGNORED

Makeshift Vectrex controllers?

keilbaca

This site will show you how to convert a Genesis controller to work on a Vectrex. I haven't tried it myself, but it seem to be a relatively popular mod amung the Vectrex community (Likely due to the rather crummy Vectrex controllers available). I haven't tried this myself though, so your mileage may vary. If you look around, I think there are places where you can buy pre-modified controllers.

--Zero

Isn't the Vectrex controller analog? Does it affect gameplay to use a digital pad?

966181[/snapback]

Yes and no.

It's analog, but of the original releases only Hyperchase and StarHawk actually USE the analogosity in any way. Everything else treats it as a digital stick.

And StarHawk has 2 modes, one of which works just fine in digital.

So the original games that can't be played with a Genesis pad consist entirely of HyperChase, which probably isn't worth the effort.

I duno about homebrews, but I think most of them are digital too.

Isn't the Vectrex controller analog? Does it affect gameplay to use a digital pad?

Found this too...looks like a cool controller alternative. A little pricey though:

http://www.multigame.com/psx2vect.html

966181[/snapback]

That is a bit expensive... but after all I just need one stick, as I know I'll be the only one playing it. I really like that PSX adapter though as IMO the psx controller is one of the best ones ever made, ever...

Not to mention I can use my Namco Tekken 5 arcade stick on the Vectrex as well ;)

I duno about homebrews, but I think most of them are digital too.

966185[/snapback]

The only homebrew which is analog is Moon Lander which has analog thrust like Atari's Lunar Lander!!

There are so many cool ways to connect controllers to the Vectrex:

1. Atari to Vectrex circuit: Allows Atari controllers (including the Starplex) to work with the Vectrex.

2. Radio Shack analog controller can be modified to work with the Vectrex.

3. Genesis 1650 controller mod for the Vectrex.

4. Vectrex Paddle (modified Atari Paddle).

5. Playstation to Vectrex circuit.

For the most Vectrex gameplay flexibility .. I have made/ bought them all!

Rob Mitchell, Atlanta, GA

Any specs for making a atari controller work on the vectrex? Catie never seen one before and I never played one... and I'm itching to. All I got is berzerk.

969612[/snapback]

http://www.playvectrex.com/vectech/da_converter.txt

This will work for Berzerk. 1 button's all the game needs.

With some modifications, you can do Minestorm, Asteroids-style.

Which I suppose would work reasonably well, though you thrust a lot more in Minestorm than Asteroids.

Found this too...looks like a cool controller alternative. A little pricey though:

http://www.multigame.com/psx2vect.html

966181[/snapback]

I hate to warn you off of those, but I paid Clay in July for two of those, and he hasn't produced. He is impossible to get hold of via e-mail (I got one reply at the tail end of PayPal's refund period, which stopped me from recalling my payment, but since then, nothing). I don't mean to badmouth the man, clearly he's made lots of neat things people appreciate, but I'm out $100 and nothing to show for it. I recommend you confirm a shipping date within the PayPal 45 day limit, and get that refund if he doesn't come through.

Any specs for making a atari controller work on the vectrex? Catie never seen one before and I never played one... and I'm itching to. All I got is berzerk.

969612[/snapback]

Wow! You *have* to get some more games :) Berzerk isn't so hot (I played the arcade every chance I could as a kid).

I really like these original games for one player:

Solar Quest - sorta like Space War but with a dozen enemies. Ship movement is very interesting, reminds me of insects. Cosmic Chasm - I loved this in the arcade, and finding out it was a port of the Vectrex game made this a must-have. The map does not display well in the MESS emulator, which makes the game hard to play - does anyone know of an emulator that shows intensity? Without that you can't even see where you are on the map.

Like probably all Vectrex owners, I wish they'd ported BattleZone =)

Mark Shaker (who toils away making cartridges at no personal profit) will sell you any game you like for about $10-$12: http://vectrexcarts.com/ And he includes a sturdy plastic box with nice cover art at that price (no overlays, they're rare in new Vectrex games - but note that he'll make almost any game ever made). I was surprised to really enjoy Tour De France, which I got from him, as I've never played a bicycle racing game on any other platform (but then I do like to cycle, so maybe that's just me). Alex Herbert's Defender clone Protector comes on a dual cartridge with YASI, his Space Invaders clone, which you shouldn't pass up. I also really like Rockaroids, which feels so much like having your own personal asteroids machine (not that I know what that feels like).

Sorry, I shouldn't have started typing that, I knew I would ramble. I can make some two-player recommendations if you're interested (I like cooperative games).

969612[/snapback]

Wow! You *have* to get some more games :) Berzerk isn't so hot (I played the arcade every chance I could as a kid).

Solar Quest - sorta like Space War but with a dozen enemies. Ship movement is very interesting, reminds me of insects. Cosmic Chasm - I loved this in the arcade, and finding out it was a port of the Vectrex game made this a must-have. The map does not display well in the MESS emulator, which makes the game hard to play - does anyone know of an emulator that shows intensity? Without that you can't even see where you are on the map.

Mark Shaker (who toils away making cartridges at no personal profit) will sell you any game you like for about $10-$12: http://vectrexcarts.com/ And he includes a sturdy plastic box with nice cover art at that price (no overlays, they're rare in new Vectrex games - but note that he'll make almost any game ever made). I was surprised to really enjoy Tour De France, which I got from him, as I've never played a bicycle racing game on any other platform (but then I do like to cycle, so maybe that's just me). Alex Herbert's Defender clone Protector comes on a dual cartridge with YASI, his Space Invaders clone, which you shouldn't pass up. I also really like Rockaroids, which feels so much like having your own personal asteroids machine (not that I know what that feels like).

Sorry, I shouldn't have started typing that, I knew I would ramble. I can make some two-player recommendations if you're interested (I like cooperative games).

969782[/snapback]

Mind Game and myself play lots of teamplay Centipede, so 2 player games would definitely rock.

I'm probably going to get 2 sega genesis controllers preconverted to vectrex controllers.

969782[/snapback]

Mind Game and myself play lots of teamplay Centipede, so 2 player games would definitely rock.

I'm probably going to get 2 sega genesis controllers preconverted to vectrex controllers.

969785[/snapback]

Cool! Most games don't care about the analog input (which is strange in many cases!), so that shouldn't be a problem. These games all have two player cooperative modes:

Star Castle (two player variation 3)

Rip Off (any two player variation)

Armor...Attack! (any two player variation)

I can definitely recommend the first two. Armor...Attack seems to have a lot of collision detection bugs. Reminds me of the way your tanks can fall through walls in 2600 Combat, but seems less charming somehow...

The only two player competitive and simultaneous game I've played is Space Wars, and that's a classic! I've been told that Blitz (the American Football game with the underwhelming graphics (X vs. O)) and Heads-Up (the Soccer game) are simultaneous two-player too.

There are probably homebrews that have two-player simultaneous modes. I'm sure VecSports Boxing does, for instance. A lot of Vectrex homebrews are not easy to find, though.

969612[/snapback]

Solar Quest - sorta like Space War but with a dozen enemies. Ship movement is very interesting, reminds me of insects.

Cosmic Chasm - I loved this in the arcade, and finding out it was a port of the Vectrex game made this a must-have. The map does not display well in the MESS emulator, which makes the game hard to play - does anyone know of an emulator that shows intensity? Without that you can't even see where you are on the map.

To heck with ports. I wish they'd knocked off Battlezone like they did Asteroids.

I can play Asteroids and Battlezone anywhere. I can only play Minestorm on the Vectrex.

My favorites are Mine Storm, RipOff, and Web Wars.

While Cosmic Chasm is a great game, I never got into it. Have to give it another chance some time.

And sadly, I don't know of an emu that properly simulates the Vectrex's dot flares.

Only emu I've ever seen do vectors close to right was AstGL, which is, well, Asteroids.

969782[/snapback]

969785[/snapback]

Cool! Most games don't care about the analog input (which is strange in many cases!), so that shouldn't be a problem. These games all have two player cooperative modes:

Star Castle (two player variation 3)

Rip Off (any two player variation)

Armor...Attack! (any two player variation)

I can definitely recommend the first two. Armor...Attack seems to have a lot of collision detection bugs. Reminds me of the way your tanks can fall through walls in 2600 Combat, but seems less charming somehow...

The only two player competitive and simultaneous game I've played is Space Wars, and that's a classic! I've been told that Blitz (the American Football game with the underwhelming graphics (X vs. O)) and Heads-Up (the Soccer game) are simultaneous two-player too.

There are probably homebrews that have two-player simultaneous modes. I'm sure VecSports Boxing does, for instance. A lot of Vectrex homebrews are not easy to find, though.

969924[/snapback]

Perfect, I definitely have to look at into getting Star Castle. I used to play it all the time on Apple IIe's and that's all I played, that game kicked ass.

I'm guessing this is the Zektor Vector Generator running BattleZone in emulation, attached to a Vectrex?

970507[/snapback]

If I recall, and I may be mistaken(it's been a while) it was a Battlezone gameboard hacked onto a Vectrex. Edited by JB